RE: Age of Empires 3 Trial Loading and then Closing to Desktop...

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

Frontline1944

"Frontline1944" wrote:

> Hello, all -
> I recently downloaded the Age of Empires III Trial from the official
> website. I needed to input the administrator password a few times before it
> was completely installed, but that wasn't a big issue. The problem is that
> whenever I open AoE3, it will go to the opening screen (showing the title and
> Microsoft Studios, etc.) and then to the loading screen, but as soon as the
> music starts and it's ready to transition to the main screen, it closes to
> the desktop; it doesn't even minimize to the toolbar, just completely closes.
> I can't get past the loading screen. I've tried running it as administrator,
> running it in compatibility mode, everything that I can think of, but it just
> won't stop closing. Now, I'm fairly sure that my graphics cards/drivers are
> in order sufficiently enough to play AoE3:
>
> Windows Vista Ultimate
> Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
> 2.00 GB RAM
> Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family
> 465 GB Hard Drive
>
> Now, here's the real kicker - after not being able to play the trial on this
> computer, I switched over my old computer (very inferior to this one), and
> the trial works on it (with the lowest graphics settings, but it still
> manages to start up and play)! So, I'm not sure if my graphics card isn't
> good enough or if I'm missing a program that would allow the trial or
> startup or whatever may be the problem.
>
> If anyone can lend me a suggestion as to what I can do to eliminate this
> problem, I will be greatly appreciative. : )

Please, if anyone can help me - I've been looking all over the web and I
haven't found any solution.

I also have some new information: I tried a few "See if your computer can
run this game" tests on both computers. I was pretty startled to find out
that my Vista-running Dell doesn't support hardware shading or something like
that; apparently I need that to play all recent PC games. However, I ran the
same test on my old computer (the one that AoEIII can run on), and that one
doesn't support hardware shading and a few other things as well. In short, it
is inferior to my Dell in terms of gaming, and yet it will run AoEIII while
my Dell will not! Please help, anybody; this issue is really bugging me, and
with school nearly over, I want to play this game over the summer.