Chess Titan is bugged

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

FremyCompany

Chess Titan is bugged
Bugged position :
==============
When a P (default piece) is placed in a certain position, it can capture a
piece (X) positionned to it's left :
P - X >> / - /
Y - / Y - P

I've taken some screen's captures, but I can't post it here.
They are availlable here :
http://cid-201f3835d49587fe.skydrive...%20-%20Bug.zip

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities....vista.gam es
Paul Smith

Re: Chess Titan is bugged
This is a valid move, called 'En passant'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/En_passant

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

"FremyCompany" <FremyCompany@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Bugged position :
> ==============
> When a P (default piece) is placed in a certain position, it can capture a
> piece (X) positionned to it's left :
> P - X >> / - /
> Y - / Y - P
>
> I've taken some screen's captures, but I can't post it here.
> They are availlable here :
> http://cid-201f3835d49587fe.skydrive...%20-%20Bug.zip

Bob

RE: Chess Titan is bugged
I have the same thing, I have not been able to find any solution, it ruins
the game. Maybe Microsoft will post a fix someday. In my case it in the
third row, 6th column, just where it destroys the white syde castle, even
worse, the pawn can move into a vacant cell forward to it's left to do this.

"FremyCompany" wrote:

> Bugged position :
> ==============
> When a P (default piece) is placed in a certain position, it can capture a
> piece (X) positionned to it's left :
> P - X >> / - /
> Y - / Y - P
>
> I've taken some screen's captures, but I can't post it here.
> They are availlable here :
> http://cid-201f3835d49587fe.skydrive...%20-%20Bug.zip
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities....vista.gam es

Andy [YaYa]

RE: Chess Titan is bugged
=?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?= <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> I have the same thing, I have not been able to find any solution, it
> ruins the game. Maybe Microsoft will post a fix someday. In my case
> it in the third row, 6th column, just where it destroys the white syde
> castle, even worse, the pawn can move into a vacant cell forward to
> it's left to do this.
>
> "FremyCompany" wrote:
>
>> Bugged position :
>> ==============
>> When a P (default piece) is placed in a certain position, it can
>> capture a piece (X) positionned to it's left :
>> P - X >> / - /
>> Y - / Y - P
>>
>> I've taken some screen's captures, but I can't post it here.
>> They are availlable here :

OK, Fremy is an idiot, but Bob, if you're talking about the Castle bug
then you are right, that's a bug where the computer Castles then doesn't
move again.

Fremy, this bit is for you:

Chess has been around for Centuries, and it's been relived on computers
to various levels of effectiveness since the Atari 2600, as well as some
of those earlier .mil systems pre-Internet.

What floors me is there are no Grandmasters around to teach Chess 101,
so I guess my weak ass 1800 rating will have to do it for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/En_passant

Basically this is a pawn move

Say there's a white pawn at e5.

Black wants to move his queen's pawn or kings bishop pawn out or past
the white pawn, so he moves it up 2 spaces to d5 or f5 respectively.

On his NEXT turn, white then has the option to move past, or "behind"
the black pawn effectively capturing that pawn.

There's way more too it than that. I've never really used the move to my
advantage, and there' no way in hell my brain can fathom how to use the
move effectively, but it's there, it's a legal mode, Chess Titan's knows
about it, but it doesn't have anything like a manual to explain it.

There are a ton of other Chess games out there, chessmaster is nowhere
near the best, I've heard excellent things about "Fritz X", but if you
search this group you'll find a couple other threads with
recommendations.

Chess is a complicated and well defined game, just because something
happens that you've never seen before, don't assume it's gotta be a bug,
because it probably isn't.

Bob, you're right, the castle thing, though rare, is a bug. If you're
really into Chess, invest a couple bucks on a better program. I'll play
you sometime.

--
-A.