Game Cheat Console

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

Gretzki

Game Cheat Console
I can't open the game console with "~" for any game. When I was using XP that
was not a problem. But what happens now? And I don't wanna hear stuff like
"we don't support cheats" bla bla bla... windows vista interferes with the
programming of a game. I'm really annoyed about this. I tried any other key
but nothing. Is vista missing something?
windyvoice

Re: Game Cheat Console

"Gretzki" <Gretzki@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can't open the game console with "~" for any game. When I was using XP
>that
> was not a problem. But what happens now? And I don't wanna hear stuff like
> "we don't support cheats" bla bla bla... windows vista interferes with the
> programming of a game. I'm really annoyed about this. I tried any other
> key
> but nothing. Is vista missing something?

I have not had that problem in Vista and, frankly, it has nothing to do with
Vista but it has a lot to do with the game itself. Some games require that
you enable the cheat in an ini file, others use something else besides the
"~" such as cntrl, shift, c. What game is it you want to cheat in? You
are rather vague. If a game is not compatible with Vista try running it in
compatibility mode.

Hank Arnold (MVP)

Re: Game Cheat Console
Gretzki wrote:
> I can't open the game console with "~" for any game. When I was using XP that
> was not a problem. But what happens now? And I don't wanna hear stuff like
> "we don't support cheats" bla bla bla... windows vista interferes with the
> programming of a game. I'm really annoyed about this. I tried any other key
> but nothing. Is vista missing something?

How about the game name? Mostly, they require odifying the shortcut to
enable the console. I've run numerous games and used the cheats. Running
Vista Home Premium.

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold
gretzki

Re: Game Cheat Console

Firstly, i posted this on microsoft website. But it ended up here. and i
had to register. So it's still me.

Ok. Currently I'm playing Gothic 3. And i know about the issues with
ini files, or other changes i have to make. But i had. I played this
game when I had XP. There was no problem opening the console with tilde
key (~). On Vista I can't do that anymore.

Another Example is Rome Total War. I can't remember now but i had
problems in many other games that didn't even require modifications in
ini. files or stuff like that. So the issue isn't other keys also.

I ended up with the conclusion that Vista is to blame because on XP it
worked fine... and when I had vista (home premium) .... it didn't.

--
gretzki
gretzki's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=47395

http://forums.techarena.in

windyvoice

Re: Game Cheat Console

"gretzki" <gretzki.38gz3d@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Firstly, i posted this on microsoft website. But it ended up here. and i
> had to register. So it's still me.
>
> Ok. Currently I'm playing Gothic 3. And i know about the issues with
> ini files, or other changes i have to make. But i had. I played this
> game when I had XP. There was no problem opening the console with tilde
> key (~). On Vista I can't do that anymore.
>
> Another Example is Rome Total War. I can't remember now but i had
> problems in many other games that didn't even require modifications in
> ini. files or stuff like that. So the issue isn't other keys also.
>
> I ended up with the conclusion that Vista is to blame because on XP it
> worked fine... and when I had vista (home premium) .... it didn't.

I played Gothic 3 on Vista with no problem and also on XP but for BOTH
systems you need to do the following as per :
http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/dos...de/920920.html
Open the ge3.ini file in the Gothic3/Ini folder and change the following
line in Notepad:

[Game]
TestMode=false

[Game]
TestMode=true

You can then press [~] (tilde) while playing to bring up the console.

It may also help to have the latest patch in the game. I am playing all
sorts of games cheating or not cheating and have had no problems in any of
them in vista. Some games, such as The Witcher, don't have cheats at all.
I don't know what your problem is but you may need to patch your games and
look up how to cheat in them and try playing in compatibility mode.
Remember patch, patch, patch. Also, is your font size set to default or
custom? Set it to default as a custom setting can cut off a menu in some
apps or games. Or are you just wanting to complain? It is not Vista or
any other OS causing your problem because they have nothing to do with the
cheat console in a game that I know of or can find.

Spook 13

Re: Game Cheat Console
Good grief. Please. Just don't blame Vista. It is/could be everything else
in the world. Just not Vista.
Cheers
http://spookpaleis.myminicity.com/ind/

windyvoice

Re: Game Cheat Console

"Spook 13" <spook@xnets.co.za> wrote in message
> Good grief. Please. Just don't blame Vista. It is/could be everything else
> in the world. Just not Vista.
> Cheers
> http://spookpaleis.myminicity.com/ind/

I am not blaming any OS. It is not the OS as I stated in my answer that it
was not Vista OR ANY OTHER OS or can you not read. The guy is probably one
of you Trolls. Oh, I forgot you and your little groupie club of Linux (aka
Unix rip-off) users and insulters are just little kiddies that have nothing
better to do than search and troll and use the forums for anything other
than what they are for, yes. I am not that fond of Vista but at least you
can run games on it. Try to do that in Linux. What, you can't? My, my.
I'll bet you've never even tried it at all but just love to post your
pointless mess that isn't even connected remotely to what the forums are
here for just because you have nothing better to do. I actually feel sorry
for you.

gretzki

Re: Game Cheat Console

Uhm... firstly i am not a linux lover. I know it's an OS but i never
seen it in my life. Secondly, I see that u are like a knight in defense
for Vista. It is a little careless to say that it's everything else's
fault but Vista. Keep an open mind, don't be narrow-headed.

I already told u that for every game with the cheat console problem...
I took the necessary steps. And that includes mods in .ini files,
shortcut parameter adding, patching, compatibility settings, and so on.
I usually work hard on a problem and appeal to forums as a last resort.
So a little respect... as Trolls as u say don't do that.

The issue is simple. Following the same steps... the cheat console
worked fine on XP but not on Vista. And I am not talking only about
Gothic. But many games... and I am not the only one who has this
problem. Hit it on google and u will convince yourself. I am open to
suggestions...

P.S. Why are you so defendant of Vista? It's a prototype on the market,
admit it. As was XP. Xp worked fine only when the SP2 came out.

"gretzki" <gretzki.38koff@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Uhm... firstly i am not a linux lover. I know it's an OS but i never
> seen it in my life. Secondly, I see that u are like a knight in defense
> for Vista. It is a little careless to say that it's everything else's
> fault but Vista. Keep an open mind, don't be narrow-headed.
>
> I already told u that for every game with the cheat console problem...
> I took the necessary steps. And that includes mods in .ini files,
> shortcut parameter adding, patching, compatibility settings, and so on.
> I usually work hard on a problem and appeal to forums as a last resort.
> So a little respect... as Trolls as u say don't do that.
>
> The issue is simple. Following the same steps... the cheat console
> worked fine on XP but not on Vista. And I am not talking only about
> Gothic. But many games... and I am not the only one who has this
> problem. Hit it on google and u will convince yourself. I am open to
> suggestions...
>
> P.S. Why are you so defendant of Vista? It's a prototype on the market,
> admit it. As was XP. Xp worked fine only when the SP2 came out.
>

> --
> gretzki
> gretzki's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=47395
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=956684
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

You, too, cannot read. I said ANY OS, that it was not the fault of any OS.
I am not defending Vista but stating a fact. I really don't care for Vista
but have NEVER had the problems you mentioned in any game, at all. Maybe
your system isn't up to running Vista, who knows.

gretzki

Re: Game Cheat Console

I just told u stop being so narrow-minded. It doesn't matter which OS it
is. The games worked on XP, now they don't on Vista. It's that simple.
Just because you haven't any problems that doesn't solve my problem.
And my system is good. And it came with Vista on it when i bought it. I
installed at first run. And I installed it correctly. Maybe some games
work for u because u have some driver for Vista which I don't have. Or
smth u do and i don't. That's what I'm interested in. And not arguing
about OS-s

If u know what "piece" misses from the "puzzle" required for the cheat
console to work ok. But don't bother posting just to quarrel plz