Sidewinder usb adapter?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

DarkJon2004

Sidewinder usb adapter?
A friend of in got his in the mail to day and were trying to get the 98
sidewinder to work on xp withe usb adapter since there is one made is there
away to get the controller to work with it?

--
I Love Jesus and my wife and family and friends and beauty.
Slap

Re: Sidewinder usb adapter?

"DarkJon2004" <DarkJon2004@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> A friend of in got his in the mail to day and were trying to get the 98
> sidewinder to work on xp withe usb adapter since there is one made is
> there
> away to get the controller to work with it?

toss it

John

Re: Sidewinder usb adapter?
I would like to know as I have an old sidewinder steering wheel. It seems a
shame to get rid if I cant use it on my new pc due to only having usb ports

"DarkJon2004" <DarkJon2004@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A friend of in got his in the mail to day and were trying to get the 98
> sidewinder to work on xp withe usb adapter since there is one made is
> there
> away to get the controller to work with it?
>

> --
> I Love Jesus and my wife and family and friends and beauty.

DarkJon2004

RE: Sidewinder usb adapter?
Why toss it if this adapter was made for old sidewinders to work on new pc
win xp
and so on ,how do u get it to work why make an adapter thats usesless?

> Why toss it if this adapter was made for old sidewinders to work on new pc
> win xp
> and so on ,how do u get it to work why make an adapter thats usesless?

I don't think they work. I still have an old Sidewinder and quite liked the
thing but I'm sure no one has really got them to work using an adaptor. Why
they make them I don't know.

I bought a $10 clearance USB stick to tide me over till the wife got me a
Saitec 52 system. The cheap stick was for a consol game but worked fine
under XP and Vista.

Andy [YaYa]

Re: Sidewinder usb adapter?
"Slap" <slap@gmail.com> wrote in news:JGuRj.228741$pM4.145222@pd7urf1no:

> "DarkJon2004" <DarkJon2004@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Why toss it if this adapter was made for old sidewinders to work on
>> new pc win xp
>> and so on ,how do u get it to work why make an adapter thats
>> usesless?
>>

> I don't think they work. I still have an old Sidewinder and quite
> liked the thing but I'm sure no one has really got them to work using
> an adaptor. Why they make them I don't know.
>
> I bought a $10 clearance USB stick to tide me over till the wife got
> me a Saitec 52 system. The cheap stick was for a consol game but
> worked fine under XP and Vista.
> --

They don't, just a lot of people like to not spend money over and over
again for something simple like a game controller.

That said, I installed a sound card with an old Analog joystick port and
my old Thrustmaster F/A-18 stick works. You can still find old/cheap
sound cards with Joystick ports on them, just tell Vista to not use the
sound card and use the joystick port with your old analog controllers.

I've never had much luck with Adapters for USB. Parallel to USB, Analog
Joystick to USB, Serial to USB, etc. Easier to just get an expansion
slot with the ports you need on it.

Damn I'd probably make a fortune if I came up with a PCIe x1 card with a
Parallel, Serial, and Gameport on it.

I still have an old Digiport card with 16 serial ports on it from my old
BBS days. Alas it's an ISA card so that pretty much makes it worthless.
I suppose I could scour eBay for some old working mobos with ISA slots
on them. I'd love to startup a 16 line old skool BBS. Just for fun.

--
-A.
DarkJon2004

RE: Sidewinder usb adapter?
Ok I got a non usb sidewinder ver 3.0 how do oI get it to work on xp audio
dectict doesn't work in control panel game controlers ? should I format?

=?Utf-8?B?RGFya0pvbjIwMDQ=?= <DarkJon2004@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in news:36F3287F-0A6C-4B5D-8FEF-96AEB1D59799@microsoft.com:

> Ok I got a non usb sidewinder ver 3.0 how do oI get it to work on xp
> audio dectict doesn't work in control panel game controlers ? should I
> format?

Wow, I don't understand that question.

If you are trying to attach a Sidewinder gamepad to Windows XP you should
probably download the drivers, or just attach it, go to Game Controllers in
your control panel and add the controller.

Old Analog controllers are not Plug and Play, ya gotta get drivers.

--
-A.
Graphyte

RE: Sidewinder usb adapter?
I've done some research because I wanted to hook up an old Sidewinder Force
Feedback Pro joystick to my computer running Win XP. These older analog
sticks use a 15 pin gameport plug.

Your best bet is to have a gameport already on your PC (for a newer PC,
usually comes with the fancier sound cards).

15-pin gameport to USB adapters are also available for about $10. I grabbed
one from The Source (Canada) / Circuit City (USA) made by Sector 7 Extreme
Gaming

Things to note:
- Microsoft says they have Sidewinder drivers added to the Win XP SP2 update
but don't provide them on their own for seperate download
- the original drivers on the Sidewinder cd are not compatible with Win XP
and will not install
- the gamport adapter is detected by Win XP, but the joystick isn't. So far
the only thing that works is the trigger on my flight simulator (press any
button, the gun fires, press forward on the throttle, the gun fires, steer
left, the gun fires, etc) and the calibration window doesn't work.

Your best bet is to save the time and effort and buy a cheap $30 joystick
and toss your old analog one.