Is Vista 64 good for games?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

roach_779

Is Vista 64 good for games?

hey,

Im ready to plunge into vista 64/32. My system is up to date 6600 quad
cpu, 8 gig, 8800GT (soon to be sli) and yada, yada. I play alot of BF2
mods, RTS (currently playing world in conflict), Crysis and COD4. My
worries are drivers and game patches. I would like to go Vista 64, but
is 64 good for games? I know I will get hit with frame rate, but
hopefully playable frame rate.

--
roach_779
Jasper

Re: Is Vista 64 good for games?

"roach_779" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> hey,
>
> Im ready to plunge into vista 64/32. My system is up to date 6600 quad
> cpu, 8 gig, 8800GT (soon to be sli) and yada, yada. I play alot of BF2
> mods, RTS (currently playing world in conflict), Crysis and COD4. My
> worries are drivers and game patches. I would like to go Vista 64, but
> is 64 good for games? I know I will get hit with frame rate, but
> hopefully playable frame rate.
>

> --
> roach_779

Vista 64 bit is working fine here. I have run games as old as Kingpin and
Diablo without problems, Crysis, COD4, Bioshock all work fine.
Play WoW daily without any problems.

Core 2 6750 at stock 2.66
Asus P5N-D 750i Motherboard
8 gig's PC1066 DDR2
2 X 8800GT in SLI
Asus Xonar DS PCIe audio card
3 X Seagate 320 gig SATA HD's in raid 5
4 gig SanDisk USB flash drive (ReadyBoost)
Enermax Liberty 550W Power Supply
Antec 900 Gamer Case
20" LG Widescreen Monitor
LG DVD burner

You should be ok with your rig as is and SLI will be that much better.

iruleyou1

RE: Is Vista 64 good for games?
I run games on vista 64 and I have not had any problems with newer stuff.&nbsp; Most everything that works on vista 32 will work just fine on vista 64.&nbsp; The only time I have had an issue between&nbsp;the 2 versions of vista is when the program tries to install a driver.&nbsp; Believe it or not some programs that you wouldn't think need a driver do but for gamming you should be just fine.&nbsp; Some newer games such as crysis can even run a little faster since they include a 64bit executable.&nbsp; If it were me and I was really worried I would dual boot vista 64bit and xp but I have yet at home had a reason to do this.&nbsp; My biggest gripe about vista 64bit is the fact that drivers need to be signed or microsoft just won't let them be installed.&nbsp; If you do manage to install it after messing around vista will error out on boot and you will have to choose to boot vista with unsigned drivers.&nbsp; It is really really annoying at times.&nbsp; Still I don't regret going 64bit.&nbsp; It seems to now be getting good driver support and I never experienced what other poeple have.&nbsp; I have been running 64bit since the day vista was released.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Now xp 64bit was a mess in my opinion and you couldn't even get hp printer drivers at times.&nbsp; Good luck.

VRG Scotty

Re: Is Vista 64 good for games?

"roach_779" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> hey,
>
> Im ready to plunge into vista 64/32. My system is up to date 6600 quad
> cpu, 8 gig, 8800GT (soon to be sli) and yada, yada. I play alot of BF2
> mods, RTS (currently playing world in conflict), Crysis and COD4. My
> worries are drivers and game patches. I would like to go Vista 64, but
> is 64 good for games? I know I will get hit with frame rate, but
> hopefully playable frame rate.

Your specs are fine and will play games easily with 64bit, I run BF2 great
with 64bit
--
VRG Scotty

www.vistareadygames.com
Register, it's free, and use the 'search for solution' tab for any problems

Andy [YaYa]

Re: Is Vista 64 good for games?
roach_779 <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in

> hey,
>
> I would like to go Vista 64, but
> is 64 good for games? I know I will get hit with frame rate, but
> hopefully playable frame rate.

No, it's crap. :P

Sell your GT, grab a single GTX, screw SLI, save some cash, buy your
girlfriend a night on the town.

--
-A. keepin it real...
roach_779

Re: Is Vista 64 good for games?

SOLD on 64!!

--
roach_779
RJB

Re: Is Vista 64 good for games?
I have a 9600GS which played the old Age of Empires 1, 2 and 3 ok and the
online game GuildWars..

Abit IX38 Quad MB with Intel E8400 3@4gig.. 4Gig DDR2 1066..

What I am doing now, is running my Vista 64 as Primary and XP on a different
partition with the latest Farstone's Virtual Drive to run local computer
games.

Right now Farstone's VD is messing up my Windows DVD Maker, which I use a
lot.. (I contacted Farstone, hope they get that fixed soon)

After Farstone get that fixed then I'll be back to Vista with all my games..

I like to play the games with the VD so there isn't any slow down with the
DVD player reading etc..

I really like Vista 64 myself.. I suggest you go for it..

--
RJB

"roach_779" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> hey,
>
> Im ready to plunge into vista 64/32. My system is up to date 6600 quad
> cpu, 8 gig, 8800GT (soon to be sli) and yada, yada. I play alot of BF2
> mods, RTS (currently playing world in conflict), Crysis and COD4. My
> worries are drivers and game patches. I would like to go Vista 64, but
> is 64 good for games? I know I will get hit with frame rate, but
> hopefully playable frame rate.
>

> --
> roach_779

Xenomorph

Re: Is Vista 64 good for games?
The 64/32 bit thing has no impact on games.

However, if you do have 8 Gigs of RAM, 64-bit is pretty much the only way
you can get your system to use all that.

"roach_779" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> hey,
>
> Im ready to plunge into vista 64/32. My system is up to date 6600 quad
> cpu, 8 gig, 8800GT (soon to be sli) and yada, yada. I play alot of BF2
> mods, RTS (currently playing world in conflict), Crysis and COD4. My
> worries are drivers and game patches. I would like to go Vista 64, but
> is 64 good for games? I know I will get hit with frame rate, but
> hopefully playable frame rate.
>

> --
> roach_779

Avo

Re: Is Vista 64 good for games?

I have got COD4, Crysis, Vegas 2 and Frontlines fuel of war on my
machine with all graphic settings on full with no problems at all.

--
Avo
Majika2005

Re: Is Vista 64 good for games? - Custom Box with Slick X64 Vista Rockx :)

"roach_779" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> hey,
>
> Im ready to plunge into vista 64/32. My system is up to date 6600 quad
> cpu, 8 gig, 8800GT (soon to be sli) and yada, yada. I play alot of BF2
> mods, RTS (currently playing world in conflict), Crysis and COD4. My
> worries are drivers and game patches. I would like to go Vista 64, but
> is 64 good for games? I know I will get hit with frame rate, but
> hopefully playable frame rate.
>

> --
> roach_779

I have A Vista x64 Box with all the trimmings Read below for Extreme Gamers
Box

x1 19" VGA LCD Monitor Philips 190S4
- Gaming Monitor = 19" 1024 X 768 @ 75hz By 32bbp
x1 24" Monitor VGA LCD with HDMI Input and S-Video
- Multimedia Monitor = 1600 X 1024px @75 By 32 bbp
- *Or* used in clone view when Music making / DJ Progs

CASE = Full Tower with side-feet to prevent accidental topple over:

Black matt color with a Front Silver Fan intake system at the front of the
box with translucent fins for the triple 60mm radiator fans to shine the
"Cool-Blue-Light" through

Below that a customized Portal which contains my *Custom EZ-Connection power
outlets Split offs, with additional X2 lots to twin USB ports molded into
the existing Front flapped USB/Firewire Mic, Audio ports, etc (Dermal do
indeed come in-handy)

The Case contains x4 3.5" Side-Access, Cable tidy, drive bays and 120mm fan
on top of box. Carbon-fiber grill air duct for cooling from front through to
back but in upper section I left a grill for the custom mesh wrapped Tegan
PSU as well and this vent will allow heat to escape

Li-Li Case has another x5 3.25" top hanging bay cage below the top section
where I have the x4 5.25" Bays and room for an Extra redundant PSU if
required. (But I got an 8 plug 13.5 minute uptime UPS Box with Fax RJ-11 and
RJ-45 ports
- The additional 5.25" bay contains my sound card Front- end (See
below)

Tegan PSU 650 Watts Dual 12 Volt rails *PC Pro Mag Best rated 2007* (SLi
Certified) Stripped the casing and wrapped with mesh framework and installed
upper compartment closest to Oval mesh roof vent (Heat Dispensation)

ASUS AN8 M/B quiet 'n' cool heat pipes and dispersers' for the North and CPU
sides, I also added a heat-sink on-to the Southbridge

AMD Athlon64 6400 Socket AM2 Dual Core Processor @ 3.55GHz - Manual
Overclocked to MAX

OCZ DDR2 RAM Memory Timings 4-4-4-12 (4GB) with alloy heat-sinks on each
module. Vista x64-Bit is Only registering 2 GB? looking for a fix atm.

GeForce 7900 GT Core 700 MHz / RAM 900 MHz *SLi*

Raptor X 150 GB Primary- Master (Very Fast Spin up / Down) 3GB/s
Raptor 37 GB Primary- Slave (Both Raptors RPM @ 10,000 RPM)

Sony DVD-RAM
NEC 3500 DVD-R Firmware upgraded latest (I think) x16
x2 500MB Maxtor HDD 16MB Cache sitting inside an external eSATA Tsunami
Aluminum cases for the both.

x4 250GB WD HDD ( 8MB / 16MB) Cache Raid 1
x2 External WD Notebook HDD 320GB USB2

SoundBlaster Xi-Fi F1tal1ty Edition and 5.25" Input/Output Panel and Remote
Control THX, EAX, 24/96 bit ASIO High Fidelity. The lot!!

Cut-down Customized Release of Vista Ultimate Edition + SP1, this has a few
registry tweaks and add-ons from MSDN and other such sites all geared up for
High Performance Gaming not Just for Multimedia

We Stripped a lot of the guts from the core OS but left the minimal
essentials for Leeching, Gaming and Movies essentials for mainly Gamers.

It Rockx, Thanks all I can say