Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Knights of the Old Republic 2 stops running...

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2008
Hydra
 

Posts: n/a
Knights of the Old Republic 2 stops running...
Hi, all. I have a problem starting KOTOR2 on Vista. There's a error message
each time starting up that the program has stopped running and needs to close
(I've managed to get past the first cutscene several times in the beginning
before the error shows). The error has been reported, but no solutions.

I know my computer isn't especially designed for gaming, but it still is
able to run Halo CE fairly well. Which is strange if it's the hardware
causing it. I would think that Halo is more demanding than KOTOR, and KOTOR's
graphics and gameplay are relatively simple.

When I looked at the system requirement information, I have green in all
categories except two that are not met at the recommended level (yellow). A
red indicator won't allow it to run, and I have no red indications.

The yellows are the CPU, which is at 1.60GHz. KOTOR's recommended IS at
1.6GHz (Pentium 4 or Athlon XP Class) with a minimal 1.0GHz required for
Pentium 3 and Athlon. I'm using a Intel Dual Core.

The second yellow is the Video graphics. KOTOR recommends ATI Radeon 9200 or
better, or NVIDIA GeForce 4 Ti or better with 128MB video RAM. On the DxDiag
utility, I have a Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family that was factory
built in with 358MB memory, and 32-bit/60Hz display. Direct Draw, Direct 3D,
and AGP Texture Acceleration are all enabled. Minimally on the back of KOTOR
2 is a 32MB OpenGL 1.4 compliant AGP or PCX 3D Graphics Card with T&L
Capability.

And the Problem Reports and Solutons Windows Utility, it said that the fault
was a APPCRASH. Sorry for the technical jargon, but is it crashing because of
a hardware requirement issue or something else?




Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2008
Andy [YaYa]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Knights of the Old Republic 2 stops running...
=?Utf-8?B?SHlkcmE=?= <Hydra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
news:3C1A2C97-82EF-4618-BC60-5C10891CB609@microsoft.com:

> Hi, all. I have a problem starting KOTOR2 on Vista. There's a error
> message each time starting up that the program has stopped running and
> needs to close (I've managed to get past the first cutscene several
> times in the beginning before the error shows). The error has been
> reported, but no solutions.
>
> I know my computer isn't especially designed for gaming, but it still
> is able to run Halo CE fairly well. Which is strange if it's the
> hardware causing it. I would think that Halo is more demanding than
> KOTOR, and KOTOR's graphics and gameplay are relatively simple.
>
> When I looked at the system requirement information, I have green in
> all categories except two that are not met at the recommended level
> (yellow). A red indicator won't allow it to run, and I have no red
> indications.
>
> The yellows are the CPU, which is at 1.60GHz. KOTOR's recommended IS
> at 1.6GHz (Pentium 4 or Athlon XP Class) with a minimal 1.0GHz
> required for Pentium 3 and Athlon. I'm using a Intel Dual Core.

Intel Core 2 Duo at 1.6Ghz is (often) faster than an older P4/XP 1.6Ghz
CPU, you should be OK. Programs that are multi-threaded aware will run
faster on a Dual Core because they you both "Cores" or CPUs at the same
time. I don't think KOTOR2 is Multicore aware, but shouldn't matter.

> I have a Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family

You're fine with this integrated chipset.

> And the Problem Reports and Solutons Windows Utility, it said that the
> fault was a APPCRASH. Sorry for the technical jargon, but is it
> crashing because of a hardware requirement issue or something else?

Could be heat, could be you're using old drivers.

You can get the latest drivers for your video from:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...ProductID=2583
&DwnldID=15829&strOSs=153&OSFullName=Windows%20Vis ta*%20Home%20Premium,%
2032-bit%20version&lang=eng

You can get the latest Chipset drivers for your system from:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...ProductID=2529
&DwnldID=14528&strOSs=153&OSFullName=Windows%20Vis ta*%20Home%20Premium,%
2032-bit%20version&lang=eng

Download and run these two files, reboot and try the game again.

If that does not help, it could be heat, try taking the side panel off
your computer to allow more airflow into the system. See if that helps.

Close other programs running on your system (use task-manager), simply
right click on some of the icons near your clock and choose quit or exit
if the option is there. Don't worry, they'll come back when you reboot.

--
-A.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-22-2008
Hydra
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Knights of the Old Republic 2 stops running...
Thank you. Your advice will be considered...

"Andy [YaYa]" wrote:

> =?Utf-8?B?SHlkcmE=?= <Hydra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> news:3C1A2C97-82EF-4618-BC60-5C10891CB609@microsoft.com:
>
> > Hi, all. I have a problem starting KOTOR2 on Vista. There's a error
> > message each time starting up that the program has stopped running and
> > needs to close (I've managed to get past the first cutscene several
> > times in the beginning before the error shows). The error has been
> > reported, but no solutions.
> >
> > I know my computer isn't especially designed for gaming, but it still
> > is able to run Halo CE fairly well. Which is strange if it's the
> > hardware causing it. I would think that Halo is more demanding than
> > KOTOR, and KOTOR's graphics and gameplay are relatively simple.
> >
> > When I looked at the system requirement information, I have green in
> > all categories except two that are not met at the recommended level
> > (yellow). A red indicator won't allow it to run, and I have no red
> > indications.
> >
> > The yellows are the CPU, which is at 1.60GHz. KOTOR's recommended IS
> > at 1.6GHz (Pentium 4 or Athlon XP Class) with a minimal 1.0GHz
> > required for Pentium 3 and Athlon. I'm using a Intel Dual Core.

> Intel Core 2 Duo at 1.6Ghz is (often) faster than an older P4/XP 1.6Ghz
> CPU, you should be OK. Programs that are multi-threaded aware will run
> faster on a Dual Core because they you both "Cores" or CPUs at the same
> time. I don't think KOTOR2 is Multicore aware, but shouldn't matter.
>
> > I have a Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family

> You're fine with this integrated chipset.
>
> > And the Problem Reports and Solutons Windows Utility, it said that the
> > fault was a APPCRASH. Sorry for the technical jargon, but is it
> > crashing because of a hardware requirement issue or something else?

> Could be heat, could be you're using old drivers.
>
> You can get the latest drivers for your video from:
>
> http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...ProductID=2583
> &DwnldID=15829&strOSs=153&OSFullName=Windows%20Vis ta*%20Home%20Premium,%
> 2032-bit%20version&lang=eng
>
> You can get the latest Chipset drivers for your system from:
>
> http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...ProductID=2529
> &DwnldID=14528&strOSs=153&OSFullName=Windows%20Vis ta*%20Home%20Premium,%
> 2032-bit%20version&lang=eng
>
> Download and run these two files, reboot and try the game again.
>
> If that does not help, it could be heat, try taking the side panel off
> your computer to allow more airflow into the system. See if that helps.
>
> Close other programs running on your system (use task-manager), simply
> right click on some of the icons near your clock and choose quit or exit
> if the option is there. Don't worry, they'll come back when you reboot.
>
> --
> -A.
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-14-2010
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1
sahaiel is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Knights of the Old Republic 2 stops running...
Hi,

I have the same problem with KOTOR 2

I have the most recent drivers, I have Vista Business SP2, my laptop is a Satellite Pro A120.

Processor Genuine Intel CPU dual core 1.60 GHZ 1.60 GHZ

32 bit operating system

Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB

Video Card:

Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Mobile Report


Report Date: 02/14/2010
Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 20:08:07
Driver Version: 7.14.10.1504
Operating System: Windows Vista (TM) Business* , Service Pack 2 (6.0.6002)
Default Language: English
DirectX* Version: 10.0
Physical Memory: 3062 MB
Minimum Graphics Memory: 8 MB
Maximum Graphics Memory: 256 MB
Graphics Memory in Use: 103 MB
Processor: x86 family 6 Model 14 Stepping 12
Processor Speed: 1596 MHZ
Vendor ID: 8086
Device ID: 27A2
Device Revision: 03


When I start the game the initial videos and the game setup works fine, but when I click start new game it crashes all the time. I even downloaded a saved game to load that instead of starting a new one, the result is the same, it crashes again. Theres nothing wrong with the game, it works fine on my friends computer, he is running XP though. I also downloaded the most recent updates for KOTOR 2, so its definately not the game.

When I click check hardware (KOTOR2's system check for compatibility) it says "there was an error receiving your system configuration" and when I click check details it gives the following result:

[OS]
Name=WinXP
Version=Windows XP v5.1 build 2600 Service Pack 2
Service Pack=Service Pack 2
Status=Pass

[SwapFiles]
?:\pagefile.sys=0

[CPU]
CPUCount=1
CPUSpeed=1596
CPUFamily=6
CPUModel=14
CPUStepping=12
CPUVendor=Intel
CPUName=Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2060 @ 1.60GHz
Status=Warning

[Memory]
RAM=2048
Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]
C: (NTFS), UNICODE=8.38GB
Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]
DriveLetters=D:\,E:\
Drives=MAT****A DVD/CDRW UJDA770 ATA Device

[Video]
Video Card Name=
Video Memory=256
Desktop Resolution=1280x800x32 @ 60Hz
DirectX=DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)
OpenGL Version=1.4.0 - Build 7.14.10.1504
OpenGL Vendor=Intel
OpenGL Renderer=Intel 945GM
Vid Card Status=Warning
Vid Card Driver Status=Pass
GL Status=Pass
DX Status=Pass

[Audio]
Sound Card Name=Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)
Status=Pass

While the CPU and the video card is in the yellow warning category it means that does not meet the recommended categoty, but it does meet the minimum system requirements.

So if I pass from everything how comes the game crashes? Also I have Vista service pack 2, and my drivers all updated to the most recent versions...

I do not understand why is it crashing all the time...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Windows Vista Compatibilit =?Utf-8?B?UlRXcmlnaHQ=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.games 3 10-28-2009 22:31
Print spooler stops running Kenny microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 5 09-10-2008 16:34
RE: Hard drive never stops running =?Utf-8?B?Z3VidXM=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 4 01-01-2008 03:06
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic =?Utf-8?B?RnJ1c3RyYXRlZA==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.games 11 07-10-2007 20:14
Windows calendar stops running Peter in New Zealand microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 05-18-2007 03:55




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:04.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120