Quite a few games starting to drive me mad

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

Paul

Quite a few games starting to drive me mad
Hi, here is the spec.

Windows Vista ultimate 64 bit
Amd Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Nvidia Geforce 8500GT
4 GB RAM

we have quite a few games that my family play regularly and for some reason
these, on a regular basis, minimise themselves. Although you just maximise
and carry on it really gets annoying. Any help please.
joel406

Re: Quite a few games starting to drive me mad

Sound like another program is trying to open. When it happens run the
task manager and try to isolate it. You may need to disable some startup
programs to prevent it.

--
joel406
Andy [YaYa]

Re: Quite a few games starting to drive me mad
=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?= <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> Hi, here is the spec.
>
> Windows Vista ultimate 64 bit
> Amd Athlon 64 X2 6000+
> Nvidia Geforce 8500GT
> 4 GB RAM
>
> we have quite a few games that my family play regularly and for some
> reason these, on a regular basis, minimise themselves. Although you
> just maximise and carry on it really gets annoying. Any help please.

Yeah, I get that sometimes too, it's usually because occasionally I'll
click outside the game window because the mouse gets released incorrectly
in Vista. I can't really explain it, but it's just a bug that Vista is more
vulnerable too.

Which games? any idea when it happens (usually)?

--
-A.
Paul

Re: Quite a few games starting to drive me mad
There is no usual time when it happens it just does it at will. It is mainly
the popcap games the kids play. Need for speed does but that usually just
closes, excellent when you decide not to save after every race. And i have
just started Bioshock and this one doesn't minimise, it just stops and then
you carry on once you click the mouse, really freeky. It's not a major
problem it's just a bit of a pain, and annoying.

"Andy [YaYa]" wrote:

> =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?= <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>
> > Hi, here is the spec.
> >
> > Windows Vista ultimate 64 bit
> > Amd Athlon 64 X2 6000+
> > Nvidia Geforce 8500GT
> > 4 GB RAM
> >
> > we have quite a few games that my family play regularly and for some
> > reason these, on a regular basis, minimise themselves. Although you
> > just maximise and carry on it really gets annoying. Any help please.

> Yeah, I get that sometimes too, it's usually because occasionally I'll
> click outside the game window because the mouse gets released incorrectly
> in Vista. I can't really explain it, but it's just a bug that Vista is more
> vulnerable too.
>
> Which games? any idea when it happens (usually)?
>
> --
> -A.

Jules Augley

Re: Quite a few games starting to drive me mad
Sounds like the games are losing focus to another application. This may be
caused by scheduled programs such as virus scanners, windows defender, do
you have anything like this running? Another possibility could be some key
press combinations or programmed keys on the keyboard or mouse, do you have
anything like that? e.g. Logitech keyboard media keys or similar on other
keyboards?

The last thing I can think is to check you donjt have any other programs
running at all, see if that helps. So, make sure no email programs, web
pages or other applications are running in the background. The fact that you
say Bioshock doesnt crash suggests it is not a fault, rather it is normal
behaviour for the set up you have. You need to eliminate any interference
from normally running apps.

Jules