Unable to download game onto Vista...help!

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

Curly_in_WI

Unable to download game onto Vista...help!
I can't seem to get a game that I have on disc to download onto my PC. The
game was designed to work on Windows 98 through XP. This game does work
because it was on my old computer, which ran XP.

My current PC can read the files and show them to me, but won't do anything
w/them. I've tried using the Compatabilty Wizard and running the setup file
as an administrator, but nothing seems to work. It's been really frustrating
to put it lightly.

Can anyone help me? I'm obviously missing something.
--
~
William Anderson

RE: Unable to download game onto Vista...help!
Hey there Curly,

What game is it that you're having an issue with?

"Curly_in_WI" wrote:

> I can't seem to get a game that I have on disc to download onto my PC. The
> game was designed to work on Windows 98 through XP. This game does work
> because it was on my old computer, which ran XP.
>
> My current PC can read the files and show them to me, but won't do anything
> w/them. I've tried using the Compatabilty Wizard and running the setup file
> as an administrator, but nothing seems to work. It's been really frustrating
> to put it lightly.
>
> Can anyone help me? I'm obviously missing something.
> --
> ~

Curly_in_WI

RE: Unable to download game onto Vista...help!
Its APBA Baseball for Windows version 5.5.
--
~

"William Anderson" wrote:

> Hey there Curly,
>
> What game is it that you're having an issue with?
>
> "Curly_in_WI" wrote:
>
> > I can't seem to get a game that I have on disc to download onto my PC. The
> > game was designed to work on Windows 98 through XP. This game does work
> > because it was on my old computer, which ran XP.
> >
> > My current PC can read the files and show them to me, but won't do anything
> > w/them. I've tried using the Compatabilty Wizard and running the setup file
> > as an administrator, but nothing seems to work. It's been really frustrating
> > to put it lightly.
> >
> > Can anyone help me? I'm obviously missing something.
> > --
> > ~

William Anderson

RE: Unable to download game onto Vista...help!
Hey there Curly,

I don't know how tech savvy you are, but something you can try if
Compatibility Mode doesn't work on the app is the Application Compatibility
Toolkit from Microsoft. It gives you the ability to analyze the app and even
enable or disable functions in the app that would allow you to run it.

Here's the download for the latest version:

Let me know how it goes!

Best Regards,

Will

"William Anderson" wrote:

> Hey there Curly,
>
> What game is it that you're having an issue with?
>
> "Curly_in_WI" wrote:
>
> > I can't seem to get a game that I have on disc to download onto my PC. The
> > game was designed to work on Windows 98 through XP. This game does work
> > because it was on my old computer, which ran XP.
> >
> > My current PC can read the files and show them to me, but won't do anything
> > w/them. I've tried using the Compatabilty Wizard and running the setup file
> > as an administrator, but nothing seems to work. It's been really frustrating
> > to put it lightly.
> >
> > Can anyone help me? I'm obviously missing something.
> > --
> > ~

Curly_in_WI

RE: Unable to download game onto Vista...help!
I'm pseudo-savy as far as PC stuff goes. But assume I know next to nothing,
that way we can make sure all of the steps are gone over. I appreciate your
help. Here's what happened:

I downloaded the Application Compatability Toolkit, but it looks to me like
it is meant for businesses. 'Cause it was asking me for SQL server names for
my database. So, I just stopped right there because I knew this wasn't where
I should be. This is the only thing I downloaded though, should there have
been more? I don't know, I'm lost.
--
~