Windows Vista games on a laptop vs. desktop

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

John Sisker

Windows Vista games on a laptop vs. desktop
Had addressed a question to this newsgroup about the questionable
performance of some older games (Myst III Exile) on a laptop using Windows
Vista computer. While some information I received in answer to my question
was at least trying to help, the actual answer came through the technical
people who produced the game. Simply put, I was told the video cards in
laptops at just not supported as they are in a desktop, so with a laptop,
even upgrading the software itself, is a hit and miss situation. That leads
me to another question.

The new games that are specially made for Windows Vista, will there be a
difference in performance between the same game on a laptop vs. a desktop?

Thanks,
John

David B.

Re: Windows Vista games on a laptop vs. desktop
Yes there will, it depends on the laptop and the hardware it has as to how
well it will perform for gaming.

--

----

"John Sisker" <jsisker@sprynet.com> wrote in message
> Had addressed a question to this newsgroup about the questionable
> performance of some older games (Myst III Exile) on a laptop using Windows
> Vista computer. While some information I received in answer to my question
> was at least trying to help, the actual answer came through the technical
> people who produced the game. Simply put, I was told the video cards in
> laptops at just not supported as they are in a desktop, so with a laptop,
> even upgrading the software itself, is a hit and miss situation. That
> leads me to another question.
>
> The new games that are specially made for Windows Vista, will there be a
> difference in performance between the same game on a laptop vs. a desktop?
>
> Thanks,
> John

John Sisker

Re: Windows Vista games on a laptop vs. desktop
Thanks for the information. I'm beginning to understand the differences
between a laptop and a desktop as far as games are concerned - even if both
using Vista. Likewise, I have a lot of older games originally designed for
Windows 95/98/XP, when I had another computer, thinking I could get some of
them to run on my new Vista laptop. It did not quite turn out the way. From
what others have said, I now understand why.

However, there is actually a bright note to all this. I have a Playstation 3
as well, which also plays Playstation 1 & 2 games. I guess I better just
stick to that, instead of trying to rely on a laptop for games. Besides,
games would no-doubt be better than even on a desktop, since the Playstation
is designed for mostly just games. In addition, the Playstation 3 can play
any DVD, HD and even the newer technology of Blue-Ray. I can probably get
some of the older PC games that I still like in the Playstation format, and
maybe even at some pretty good prices.

I guess I'll just have to use the laptop for browsing the internet, writing
texts and email, and light applications.

Thanks,
John

"David B." <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Yes there will, it depends on the laptop and the hardware it has as to how
> well it will perform for gaming.
>
> --
>
> ----
> __________________________________________________ _______________________________
>

> "John Sisker" <jsisker@sprynet.com> wrote in message
>> Had addressed a question to this newsgroup about the questionable
>> performance of some older games (Myst III Exile) on a laptop using
>> Windows Vista computer. While some information I received in answer to my
>> question was at least trying to help, the actual answer came through the
>> technical people who produced the game. Simply put, I was told the video
>> cards in laptops at just not supported as they are in a desktop, so with
>> a laptop, even upgrading the software itself, is a hit and miss
>> situation. That leads me to another question.
>>
>> The new games that are specially made for Windows Vista, will there be a
>> difference in performance between the same game on a laptop vs. a
>> desktop?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> John

David B.

Re: Windows Vista games on a laptop vs. desktop
Unless you want to shell out big $$ for a laptop capable of gaming, but you
run into problems down the road when you need a more powerful graphics
chipset to run the latest games, you'll likely need to replace the laptop.

--

----

news:CPidnbp6P8crJ2banZ2dnUVZ_sytnZ2d@earthlink.co m...

>>> John