Windows Vista on a laptop vs. desktop

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

John Sisker

Windows Vista on a laptop vs. desktop
Had addressed a question to this newsgroup about the questionable
performance of some older games (Myst III Exile) on a laptop using Windows
Vista computer. While some information I received in answer to my question
was at least trying to help, the actual answer came through the technical
people who produced the game. Simply put, I was told the video cards in
laptops at just not supported as they are in a desktop, so with a laptop,
even upgrading the software itself, is a hit and miss situation. That leads
me to another question.

The new games that are specially made for Windows Vista, will there be a
difference in performance between the same game on a laptop vs. a desktop?
Maybe my purchase of a laptop was not that good on an idea.

Thanks,
John

Juan Perez

Re: Windows Vista on a laptop vs. desktop
Hi:

I think the main issue would be the model of the VGA card itself, using the
same version of the O.S. Except for high end laptops, normally you get a VGA
card able to move 2D the graphics, with a different degree of speed. If you
test them their FPS, you will see that they are not very fast.

Indeed, as you told us, the same model of VGA card, can be supported for a
desktop computer, but not for a laptop. This happens with a good chunk of
the software publishers.

IMHO, you use a laptop for browsing internet. writting texts and email,
light applications, and a desktop for playing games, except for a hi end
model.

--
Un saludo
Juan Perez

"John Sisker" <jsisker@sprynet.com> wrote in message
> Had addressed a question to this newsgroup about the questionable
> performance of some older games (Myst III Exile) on a laptop using Windows
> Vista computer. While some information I received in answer to my question
> was at least trying to help, the actual answer came through the technical
> people who produced the game. Simply put, I was told the video cards in
> laptops at just not supported as they are in a desktop, so with a laptop,
> even upgrading the software itself, is a hit and miss situation. That
> leads me to another question.
>
> The new games that are specially made for Windows Vista, will there be a
> difference in performance between the same game on a laptop vs. a desktop?
> Maybe my purchase of a laptop was not that good on an idea.
>
> Thanks,
> John

Slap

Re: Windows Vista on a laptop vs. desktop

"John Sisker" <jsisker@sprynet.com> wrote in message

> The new games that are specially made for Windows Vista, will there be a
> difference in performance between the same game on a laptop vs. a desktop?
> Maybe my purchase of a laptop was not that good on an idea.

You bet there will be. For example I run an older but powerful video card
(8800 GTS). That thing is almost the size of a laptop. It also takes as
much power to run as probably 6 laptops.

Makes the games look good tho.

John Sisker

Re: Windows Vista on a laptop vs. desktop
Juan,

Thanks for the information. I'm beginning to understand the differences
between a laptop and a desktop as far as games are concerned - even if both
using Vista. Likewise, I have a lot of older games originally designed for
Windows 95/98/XP, when I had another computer, thinking I could get some of
them to run on my new Vista laptop. It did not quite turn out the way. From
what you said, I now understand why.

However, there is actually a bright note to all this. I have a Playstation 3
as well, which also plays Playstation 1 & 2 games. I guess I better just
stick to that, instead of trying to rely on a laptop for games. Besides,
games would no-doubt be better than even on a desktop, since the Playstation
is designed only for mostly just games. In addition, the Playstation 3 can
play any DVD, HD and even the newer technology of Blue-Ray. I can probably
get some of the older PC games that I still like in the Playstation format,
and maybe even at some pretty good prices.

I guess, I'll just have to use the laptop for browsing the internet, writing
texts and email, and light applications - as you say.

Thanks,
John

"Juan Perez" <pgjuan3@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> I think the main issue would be the model of the VGA card itself, using
> the same version of the O.S. Except for high end laptops, normally you get
> a VGA card able to move 2D the graphics, with a different degree of speed.
> If you test them their FPS, you will see that they are not very fast.
>
> Indeed, as you told us, the same model of VGA card, can be supported for a
> desktop computer, but not for a laptop. This happens with a good chunk of
> the software publishers.
>
> IMHO, you use a laptop for browsing internet. writting texts and email,
> light applications, and a desktop for playing games, except for a hi end
> model.
>
> --
> Un saludo
> Juan Perez
>
> "John Sisker" <jsisker@sprynet.com> wrote in message
>> Had addressed a question to this newsgroup about the questionable
>> performance of some older games (Myst III Exile) on a laptop using
>> Windows Vista computer. While some information I received in answer to my
>> question was at least trying to help, the actual answer came through the
>> technical people who produced the game. Simply put, I was told the video
>> cards in laptops at just not supported as they are in a desktop, so with
>> a laptop, even upgrading the software itself, is a hit and miss
>> situation. That leads me to another question.
>>
>> The new games that are specially made for Windows Vista, will there be a
>> difference in performance between the same game on a laptop vs. a
>> desktop? Maybe my purchase of a laptop was not that good on an idea.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> John

Andy [YaYa]

Re: Windows Vista on a laptop vs. desktop
"John Sisker" <jsisker@sprynet.com> wrote in

> The new games that are specially made for Windows Vista, will there be
> a difference in performance between the same game on a laptop vs. a
> desktop? Maybe my purchase of a laptop was not that good on an idea.

Yes, about the same difference as having a dedicated graphics card vs.
an integrated (on the mobo) graphics card in a desktop computer. You
just can't put a FULL POWER video card into a notebook, there's not
enough power cap'n! (Scotty voice)

Doesn't matter if the game was developed to be Vista compatible, [non-
gaming] Notebooks simply suck at running games. You can usually get them
to run, thankfully, but your results may vary.

As for your decision to buy a notebook, while notebook video cards are
"traditionally" less compatible with games and stuff, in the present
they have gotten better. If your notebook has an nVidia or ATi card
you're probably in better shape than you think.

Old games like Riven however, in general, don't like Vista that much.
Thankfully there are options like installing an older version of Windows
on top Vista using Virtual PC 2007, or dual booting your system with
another OS (Tricky, but doable). Problem with the later is a lot of new
computers, espically notebooks, don't have drivers for older OSs.

If your primary use of this system is to play really old games, you
should get a desktop that has a decent video card (old nVidia series is
fine) and run an older OS like XP/2K or even 98SE.

Good luck me bucko.

--
-A.