Missing game after the clean install of the VISTA os

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

snowshine

Missing game after the clean install of the VISTA os
My computer was originally came with XP MCE SP-2. This is a Dell computer.
My children were able to play a built in game that came with the XP MCE SP-2
called Gemmaster.
Dell provided a sweetner at the time of my purchase[that was in Jan 2007]
that they will provide the buyers with the express VISTA upgrade disk. Though
it was an upgrade vista os disk, one could do a format and clean install of
the vista os. This is what I did. This has caused as expected the game
Gemmaster to disappear.
Now my children are not happy without the game called "Gemmaster" that they
use to play on the XP MCE SP-2.
Can I any means get this game to be installed on my vista other than dual
booting of my VISTA & XP MCE SP-2? [I have the XP MCE SP-2 licenced OEM disk
that came with my computer]
I would be greatful for a solution.
Lee Phillips

Re: Missing game after the clean install of the VISTA os
I don't think you're going to have any joy with this one.
According to this link....
http://help.lockergnome.com/vista/Fr...pict39216.html
(bottom entry) somebody's tried this before with no joy.
I think this applies to all of XP's built-in games which have either
been upgraded or disappeared completely in Vista.

Doing a Google search, there do seems to be lots of other (free) games
called 'Gem Master' or 'Gemmaster' around though.
I don't know how different they'll be from your version - but they may
be worth a try.

snowshine wrote:
> My computer was originally came with XP MCE SP-2. This is a Dell computer.
> My children were able to play a built in game that came with the XP MCE SP-2
> called Gemmaster.
> Dell provided a sweetner at the time of my purchase[that was in Jan 2007]
> that they will provide the buyers with the express VISTA upgrade disk. Though
> it was an upgrade vista os disk, one could do a format and clean install of
> the vista os. This is what I did. This has caused as expected the game
> Gemmaster to disappear.
> Now my children are not happy without the game called "Gemmaster" that they
> use to play on the XP MCE SP-2.
> Can I any means get this game to be installed on my vista other than dual
> booting of my VISTA & XP MCE SP-2? [I have the XP MCE SP-2 licenced OEM disk
> that came with my computer]
> I would be greatful for a solution.

Jacob Sleestaker

Re: Missing game after the clean install of the VISTA os
This would take a bit of work on your part, but it should work.
1. Reinstall XP
2. Copy the gemmasters game and all dll files associated with it to either a
CD or a USB thumb drive. (remember the directory tree so you will be able to
put it back in the same spot later on)
3. Now, clean install Vista
4. Copy the gemmaster files back to the same directory in Vista. If you
have to create the directory(ies), do it.

"snowshine" <snowshine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer was originally came with XP MCE SP-2. This is a Dell computer.
> My children were able to play a built in game that came with the XP MCE
> SP-2
> called Gemmaster.
> Dell provided a sweetner at the time of my purchase[that was in Jan 2007]
> that they will provide the buyers with the express VISTA upgrade disk.
> Though
> it was an upgrade vista os disk, one could do a format and clean install
> of
> the vista os. This is what I did. This has caused as expected the game
> Gemmaster to disappear.
> Now my children are not happy without the game called "Gemmaster" that
> they
> use to play on the XP MCE SP-2.
> Can I any means get this game to be installed on my vista other than dual
> booting of my VISTA & XP MCE SP-2? [I have the XP MCE SP-2 licenced OEM
> disk
> that came with my computer]
> I would be greatful for a solution.

Jacob Sleestaker

Re: Missing game after the clean install of the VISTA os
Left out the last step:
5. Create a shortcut on your desktop that points to the exe file that starts
gemmaster