Problem With Ram

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

Mr. Evilness

Problem With Ram
I just upgraded to windows vista premium edition 64bit. I am currently
running off of two gigs of ram. I have two more gigs that are the same brand
and model but when i put them in the computer freezes when during bootup when
it shows the BIOS but won't let me go into the BIOS to change settings or
anything. I have all of the most updated drivers and updates. I do know that
all four slots are working and all four gigs of ram are working because i
have tried just about every combination of them. Has anyone else had this
problem?

Motherboard: P5N-E SLI
Graphics card: 7950 Geforce
Ram: OCZ High Performance DDR2 Memory
Dustin Harper

Re: Problem With Ram
Check the Asus site and make sure you have the latest BIOS installed on your
motherboard. Also, some motherboards are finicky with RAM. Check the site
and see if they have a list of recommended RAM.

--

Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

"Mr. Evilness" <MrEvilness@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just upgraded to windows vista premium edition 64bit. I am currently
> running off of two gigs of ram. I have two more gigs that are the same
> brand
> and model but when i put them in the computer freezes when during bootup
> when
> it shows the BIOS but won't let me go into the BIOS to change settings or
> anything. I have all of the most updated drivers and updates. I do know
> that
> all four slots are working and all four gigs of ram are working because i
> have tried just about every combination of them. Has anyone else had this
> problem?
>
> Motherboard: P5N-E SLI
> Graphics card: 7950 Geforce
> Ram: OCZ High Performance DDR2 Memory

John

Re: Problem With Ram
Remove the extra 2 GB of ram.

Install Vista 64 bit.

Update Vista 64 bit and install drivers.

Install SP1 for vista.

After all that shut down and install your other 2 GB of RAM, Vista will work
properly.

It is a known issue with Vista install and 4 GB on certain motherboards.

See http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=...1&key=&#173725 for the
exact MS Fix link

"Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
> Check the Asus site and make sure you have the latest BIOS installed on
> your motherboard. Also, some motherboards are finicky with RAM. Check the
> site and see if they have a list of recommended RAM.
>
> --
>
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com | Vista Resource & Information Page
>

> "Mr. Evilness" <MrEvilness@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I just upgraded to windows vista premium edition 64bit. I am currently
>> running off of two gigs of ram. I have two more gigs that are the same
>> brand
>> and model but when i put them in the computer freezes when during bootup
>> when
>> it shows the BIOS but won't let me go into the BIOS to change settings or
>> anything. I have all of the most updated drivers and updates. I do know
>> that
>> all four slots are working and all four gigs of ram are working because i
>> have tried just about every combination of them. Has anyone else had this
>> problem?
>>
>> Motherboard: P5N-E SLI
>> Graphics card: 7950 Geforce
>> Ram: OCZ High Performance DDR2 Memory

Dustin Harper

Re: Problem With Ram
It sounds like he already has Vista installed, though.

--

Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

"John" <bleet@anon.post> wrote in message
> Remove the extra 2 GB of ram.
>
> Install Vista 64 bit.
>
> Update Vista 64 bit and install drivers.
>
> Install SP1 for vista.
>
> After all that shut down and install your other 2 GB of RAM, Vista will
> work properly.
>
> It is a known issue with Vista install and 4 GB on certain motherboards.
>
> See http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=...1&key=&#173725 for
> the exact MS Fix link
>

> "Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
>> Check the Asus site and make sure you have the latest BIOS installed on
>> your motherboard. Also, some motherboards are finicky with RAM. Check the
>> site and see if they have a list of recommended RAM.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Dustin Harper
>> dharper@vistarip.com
>> http://www.vistarip.com | Vista Resource & Information Page
>>

>> "Mr. Evilness" <MrEvilness@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I just upgraded to windows vista premium edition 64bit. I am currently
>>> running off of two gigs of ram. I have two more gigs that are the same
>>> brand
>>> and model but when i put them in the computer freezes when during bootup
>>> when
>>> it shows the BIOS but won't let me go into the BIOS to change settings
>>> or
>>> anything. I have all of the most updated drivers and updates. I do know
>>> that
>>> all four slots are working and all four gigs of ram are working because
>>> have tried just about every combination of them. Has anyone else had
>>> this
>>> problem?
>>>
>>> Motherboard: P5N-E SLI
>>> Graphics card: 7950 Geforce
>>> Ram: OCZ High Performance DDR2 Memory

Greg R

Re: Problem With Ram
It looks like he already installed Vista 64 bit before adding 2 more gig.
But maybe he should do all the updates before putting it in if he hasn't
already?

It also looks like it's locking up at the BIOS so I'd suggest seeing if the
two new sticks work without the two older pair already in the system to see
if maybe they are bad. If that doesn't work try updating the BIOS (with just
2 gig in) if it not already up to date and see if that helps. You might
also make sure of the timings for the RAM. The timing for two sticks might
be too tight for 4 sticks.

"John" <bleet@anon.post> wrote in message
> Remove the extra 2 GB of ram.
>
> Install Vista 64 bit.
>
> Update Vista 64 bit and install drivers.
>
> Install SP1 for vista.
>
> After all that shut down and install your other 2 GB of RAM, Vista will
> work properly.
>
> It is a known issue with Vista install and 4 GB on certain motherboards.
>
> See http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=...1&key=&#173725 for
> the exact MS Fix link
>

> "Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
>> Check the Asus site and make sure you have the latest BIOS installed on
>> your motherboard. Also, some motherboards are finicky with RAM. Check the
>> site and see if they have a list of recommended RAM.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Dustin Harper
>> dharper@vistarip.com
>> http://www.vistarip.com | Vista Resource & Information Page
>>

>> "Mr. Evilness" <MrEvilness@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I just upgraded to windows vista premium edition 64bit. I am currently
>>> running off of two gigs of ram. I have two more gigs that are the same
>>> brand
>>> and model but when i put them in the computer freezes when during bootup
>>> when
>>> it shows the BIOS but won't let me go into the BIOS to change settings
>>> or
>>> anything. I have all of the most updated drivers and updates. I do know
>>> that
>>> all four slots are working and all four gigs of ram are working because
>>> have tried just about every combination of them. Has anyone else had
>>> this
>>> problem?
>>>
>>> Motherboard: P5N-E SLI
>>> Graphics card: 7950 Geforce
>>> Ram: OCZ High Performance DDR2 Memory

Lee Phillips

Re: Problem With Ram
I've got the same board and had the same problem with four identical
Kingston sticks.

The solution for me was to (with two sticks installed) go into the BIOS
and increase the RAM voltage up one level from default. It then booted
fine after adding the other two sticks.

Can't explain why this solved it, but I've had no problems since.

Mr. Evilness wrote:
> I just upgraded to windows vista premium edition 64bit. I am currently
> running off of two gigs of ram. I have two more gigs that are the same brand
> and model but when i put them in the computer freezes when during bootup when
> it shows the BIOS but won't let me go into the BIOS to change settings or
> anything. I have all of the most updated drivers and updates. I do know that
> all four slots are working and all four gigs of ram are working because i
> have tried just about every combination of them. Has anyone else had this
> problem?
>
> Motherboard: P5N-E SLI
> Graphics card: 7950 Geforce
> Ram: OCZ High Performance DDR2 Memory

John

Re: Problem With Ram
Aye. That as well.

Many Motherboards seem to have problems with filling all the slots.

The fix I posted was for 4+GB only in vista and after re reading his issue I
totally agree with the voltage bump over clocking or not.

If that does not work remove 1 stick and try, if that works try the stick
you removed from the board (leaving the one that WAS removed out) in a
populated slot... If that works it may be a "using all slot issue" which in
it self can stem from Undervolting from a crappy PSU or not enough juice
default.

hope I helped without confusing to many people