Getting a new PC

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

Tom

Getting a new PC
and I was thinking about just going ahead and getting a high system, but in
the 64bit flavor. My question is, can a 64bit system run 32bit games. I know
some games are already out that run 64bit, but there are many more 32bit
games that I am interested in right now.

Is it possible?

VRG Scotty

Re: Getting a new PC

"Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
> and I was thinking about just going ahead and getting a high system, but
> in the 64bit flavor. My question is, can a 64bit system run 32bit games. I
> know some games are already out that run 64bit, but there are many more
> 32bit games that I am interested in right now.
>
> Is it possible?

Yes, so long as the game will work..I've BF2 running on both without
fault..plus a shed load of other games
--
VRG Scotty

www.vistareadygames.com
Register, it's free, and use the 'search for solution' tab for any problems

Andy [YaYa]

Re: Getting a new PC
"VRG Scotty" <vrg-scotty@vistareadygames.com> wrote in message news:%23OTFkYsjIHA.4320@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
>> and I was thinking about just going ahead and getting a high system, but
>> in the 64bit flavor. My question is, can a 64bit system run 32bit games. I
>> know some games are already out that run 64bit, but there are many more
>> 32bit games that I am interested in right now.
>>
>> Is it possible?

> Yes, so long as the game will work..I've BF2 running on both without
> fault..plus a shed load of other games
> --
> VRG Scotty

Maybe we can delve a little deeper here...

Why do you want to install the 64-bit Windows Vista vs. the 32-bit?
What kind of system specs are you shooting for? Quad/Dual Core? Ram? Video/Sound Card?

I'm personally running 32-bit and see no reason to upgrade to 64-bit at this time. I've heard that this is the best 64-bit version of Windows so far, but that's not saying too much Windows XP64 was pretty bad when it first launched and I hear 64-bit has a couple minor annoyances that can be easily avoided if you don't really "need" 64-bit.

So what're you thinking "Tom"? Got a plan for this new system? what are you running now?

-A.
VRG Scotty

Re: Getting a new PC

"Andy [YaYa]" <android8675@mapsonhotmail.com> wrote in message

>Maybe we can delve a little deeper here...

>Why do you want to install the 64-bit Windows Vista vs. the 32-bit?
>What kind of system specs are you shooting for? Quad/Dual Core? Ram?
> >Video/Sound Card?

>I'm personally running 32-bit and see no reason to upgrade to 64-bit at
>this time. I've >heard that this is the best 64-bit version of Windows so
>far, but that's not saying too >much Windows XP64 was pretty bad when it
>first launched and I hear 64-bit has a >couple minor annoyances that can be
>easily avoided if you don't really "need" 64-bit.

Hey Andy just bought me the new AMD Phenom 9850 plus 4Gb of OCZ 1066 RAM
and Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5, AMD 790FX mobo...and also Vista Ultimate
64bit....gonna give that a run through see how it handles..will post results
here....watch this space

> "Andy [YaYa]" <android8675@mapsonhotmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>Maybe we can delve a little deeper here...

> Hey Andy just bought me the new AMD Phenom 9850 plus 4Gb of OCZ
> 1066 RAM and Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5, AMD 790FX mobo...and also Vista
> Ultimate 64bit....gonna give that a run through see how it
> handles..will post results here....watch this space

Psh, you don't need us, nerd! You just wanted to brag about your gear. I'm
offended.

What, you going with integrated video on a buggy Phenom chip?

http://www.memtest.org/ - run this for a couple hours once you get the
system built.

--
-A.
Roy Ballew

Re: Getting a new PC
In case you get something that seems to NOT work... Do this with any
program..

Right click mouse... Properties.. Select the Compat options..

In case something doesn't like the Aero (Glass) effect .. select "Disable
Desktop Composition"

I have couple old programs that works great here running Vista Ult. 64bit..

--
Roy Ballew

"Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
> and I was thinking about just going ahead and getting a high system, but
> in the 64bit flavor. My question is, can a 64bit system run 32bit games. I
> know some games are already out that run 64bit, but there are many more
> 32bit games that I am interested in right now.
>
> Is it possible?

Tom

Re: Getting a new PC
On Mar 25, 6:27 pm, "Andy [YaYa]" <android8...@mapsonhotmail.com>
wrote:
> "VRG Scotty" <vrg-sco...@vistareadygames.com> wrote in messagenews:%23OTFkYsjIHA.4320@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gb l...
>
> > "Tom" <no...@nothere.com> wrote in message
> >> and I was thinking about just going ahead and getting a high system, but
> >> in the 64bit flavor. My question is, can a 64bit system run 32bit games. I
> >> know some games are already out that run 64bit, but there are many more
> >> 32bit games that I am interested in right now.

> >> Is it possible?

> > Yes, so long as the game will work..I've BF2 running on both without
> > fault..plus a shed load of other games
> > --
> > VRG Scotty

> Maybe we can delve a little deeper here...
>
> Why do you want to install the 64-bit Windows Vista vs. the 32-bit?
> What kind of system specs are you shooting for? Quad/Dual Core? Ram? Video/Sound Card?
>
> I'm personally running 32-bit and see no reason to upgrade to 64-bit at this time. I've heard that this is the best 64-bit version of Windows so far, but that's not saying too much Windows XP64 was pretty bad when it first launched and I hear 64-bit has a couple minor annoyances that can be easily avoided if you don't really "need" 64-bit.
>
> So what're you thinking "Tom"? Got a plan for this new system? what are you running now?
>
> -A.

Here's what I am thinking on getting:

CoolerMaster Cosmos Silent Gaming Tower Case w/ 420 Watts Power Supply
EVGA nForce 780i SLI Mainboard FSB1333 DDR2 3 x PCIe x16 SATA RAID w/
USB2.0,IEEE1394,&7.1Audio
CPU: (Quad-Core 2 Extreme QX9650 @ 3.8GHz 1333FSB 12MB L2 Cache 64-
bit (overclocked)
150GB Gaming Western Digital Rapter 10,000RPM SATA
HDD2: 250GB SATA-II
Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System
(2x2GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 DC Memory
Vista Ultimate 64bit
800 Watt Power Supply
Everything else is extreme candy (sound card, speakers, gaming
devices, etc)

Price: about $3500

Now, the reason I want to get 64bit, is that there are some game that
are already made to run on the 64 bit systems (Crysis is one I am
really wanting right now), but I like some 32 bit games as well. Since
the majority of those games are still in the 32 bit range, I don't
want to get a 64 bit if they don't run on the system. This system will
easily be upgradeable too, so this is a plus.

Thanks for the reply :-)

news:Xns9A6CA3F7F2249android8675hotmailco@207.46.2 48.16...

> Psh, you don't need us, nerd! You just wanted to brag about your gear. I'm
> offended.
>
> What, you going with integrated video on a buggy Phenom chip?
>
> http://www.memtest.org/ - run this for a couple hours once you get the
> system built.

hehe nah..I'm sticking with my 8800GTX
--
Scottyİ

Andy [YaYa]

Re: Getting a new PC
"Tom" <jimvernes@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3eba00aa-ab0f-4b31-acf1-f6d973d1f4cc@e39g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
> On Mar 25, 6:27 pm, "Andy [YaYa]" <android8...@mapsonhotmail.com>
> wrote:
>> "VRG Scotty" <vrg-sco...@vistareadygames.com> wrote in messagenews:%23OTFkYsjIHA.4320@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gb l...
>>
>> > "Tom" <no...@nothere.com> wrote in message

>> > Yes, so long as the game will work..I've BF2 running on both without
>> > fault..plus a shed load of other games
>> > --
>> > VRG Scotty

>> Maybe we can delve a little deeper here...
>>
>> Why do you want to install the 64-bit Windows Vista vs. the 32-bit?
>> What kind of system specs are you shooting for? Quad/Dual Core? Ram? Video/Sound Card?
>>
>> I'm personally running 32-bit and see no reason to upgrade to 64-bit at this time. I've heard that this is the best 64-bit version of Windows so far, but that's not saying too much Windows XP64 was pretty bad when it first launched and I hear 64-bit has a couple minor annoyances that can be easily avoided if you don't really "need" 64-bit.
>>
>> So what're you thinking "Tom"? Got a plan for this new system? what are you running now?
>>
>> -A.

> Here's what I am thinking on getting:
>
> CoolerMaster Cosmos Silent Gaming Tower Case w/ 420 Watts Power Supply
> EVGA nForce 780i SLI Mainboard FSB1333 DDR2 3 x PCIe x16 SATA RAID w/
> USB2.0,IEEE1394,&7.1Audio
> CPU: (Quad-Core 2 Extreme QX9650 @ 3.8GHz 1333FSB 12MB L2 Cache 64-
> bit (overclocked)
> 150GB Gaming Western Digital Rapter 10,000RPM SATA
> HDD2: 250GB SATA-II
> Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System
> (2x2GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 DC Memory
> Vista Ultimate 64bit
> 800 Watt Power Supply
> Everything else is extreme candy (sound card, speakers, gaming
> devices, etc)
>
> Price: about $3500
>
> Now, the reason I want to get 64bit, is that there are some game that
> are already made to run on the 64 bit systems (Crysis is one I am
> really wanting right now), but I like some 32 bit games as well. Since
> the majority of those games are still in the 32 bit range, I don't
> want to get a 64 bit if they don't run on the system. This system will
> easily be upgradeable too, so this is a plus.
>
> Thanks for the reply :-)

I hated Crysis. Once you get done shooting trees the rest of the game is crap, but all the kids want to play it because it taxes the crap out of your system for no good reason (read, unoptimized).

Liquid cooling = lame/overpriced, but I'm just jelious, never had the opportunity to play with liquid cooling. Keep in mind though, it's pretty overkill for most applications now a days unless you plan to seriously push the limits of your system. Don't forget the water block for your video card and chipset. Makes no sense to me to do all that work installing a water cooler only to leave fans on the video/mobochipset.

Intel Quad Cores suck, but unless the Phenom B3 step is out, you might as well go for it.

Raptors suck, get 2 cheaper 500gb drives and raid them together. More storage, comparable speed.

4x1GB ram is cheaper, runs the same. If you buy 1gb sticks you can get the 1066mhz stuff. Even if your motherboard doesn't support it (but I think it does) you can use the overhead for overclocking if you feel like it.

Don't skimp on the PSU, get a good brand like Antec, Enermax, Silverstone, etc.

Get an X-Fi card! Any model, doesn't matter, games sound SOOOO much better with one. Drivers are still a little iffy, but they got most of the bugs out now, just get the latest drivers online when you install it.

Vista, well whatever. I got my copy of Ultimate from a MS employee, I don't think there's anything on it I really use that's not in Home Premium.

Don't buy OEM, get Retail.

Good luck,
-A.
Dustin Harper

Re: Getting a new PC
Yes, a 64 bit system can run 32 bit games. Some run a little slower, but not
bad. A lot of games out there also have 64 bit versions available, as well.

--

Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com