Suggestions for video card Intel MicroATX

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

Tinker

Suggestions for video card Intel MicroATX
My son has a Gateway with an Intel MicroATX motherboard. Running Vista
Home Premium 32 bit.

The processor seems to be adequate, Core2 duo. But the on-board video is
terribly inadequate for games.

There is a slot for a PCIe x16 card.

The question is which one to get?

I've been running Athlons and ATI for so long that I haven't kept up
with what matches well on the Intel side.

Any helpful suggestions are appreciated. I do have a month or so to do
research.

Thanks,

Tinker
VRG Scotty

Re: Suggestions for video card Intel MicroATX

"Tinker" <gptaylor98363@gmail.com> wrote in message
> My son has a Gateway with an Intel MicroATX motherboard. Running Vista
> Home Premium 32 bit.
>
> The processor seems to be adequate, Core2 duo. But the on-board video is
> terribly inadequate for games.
>
> There is a slot for a PCIe x16 card.
>
> The question is which one to get?
>
> I've been running Athlons and ATI for so long that I haven't kept up with
> what matches well on the Intel side.
>
> Any helpful suggestions are appreciated. I do have a month or so to do
> research.

Hi Tinker, it all depends on what cash you want to spend, if money is no
object then go for a Geforce 8800Ultra (assuming it will fit in the case as
it is a very long card), or the Radeon 3870, if you are after a decent mid
range card then go for a Geforce 8600GT or the Radeon 3850, these are both
showing great results for gaming, infact both Nvidia and ATI are both
bringing out decent cards now and both will be fine for that Intel setup
your son is using.
--
VRG Scotty

www.vistareadygames.com
Register, it's free, and use the 'search for solution' tab for any problems

Tinker

VRG Scotty wrote:

> "Tinker" <gptaylor98363@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> My son has a Gateway with an Intel MicroATX motherboard. Running Vista
>> Home Premium 32 bit.
>>
>> The processor seems to be adequate, Core2 duo. But the on-board video
>> is terribly inadequate for games.
>>
>> There is a slot for a PCIe x16 card.
>>
>> The question is which one to get?
>>
>> I've been running Athlons and ATI for so long that I haven't kept up
>> with what matches well on the Intel side.
>>
>> Any helpful suggestions are appreciated. I do have a month or so to do
>> research.

> Hi Tinker, it all depends on what cash you want to spend, if money is no
> object then go for a Geforce 8800Ultra (assuming it will fit in the case
> as it is a very long card), or the Radeon 3870, if you are after a
> decent mid range card then go for a Geforce 8600GT or the Radeon 3850,
> these are both showing great results for gaming, infact both Nvidia and
> ATI are both bringing out decent cards now and both will be fine for
> that Intel setup your son is using.

Thanks for the suggestions. I lean toward the ATI cards just because of
my familiarity. I think the case (an ATX mid tower) has adequate room
for almost any length of card.
I'll probably go for something in the $2-300 range, that should include
almost anything but the top of the line cards.

Tinker