Windows Experience Index

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

Uncle Nobby

Windows Experience Index
Hi

I have windows Vista which had 2Gb of memory.
The index was 5.2, that was the memory score.

I have added another 2Gb.
As its a 32bit OS only 3.5 GB is detected, but when I updated my windows
experience the score went down for 5.2 to 5.

Shouldn't it have gone up?

mikeyhsd

Re: Windows Experience Index
possibly you did not put in the same speed of memory as you had and the over all speed has been reduced accordingly.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com

"Uncle Nobby" <unc@invalid.com> wrote in message news:u6Go9rBjIHA.2268@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
Hi

I have windows Vista which had 2Gb of memory.
The index was 5.2, that was the memory score.

I have added another 2Gb.
As its a 32bit OS only 3.5 GB is detected, but when I updated my windows
experience the score went down for 5.2 to 5.

Shouldn't it have gone up?

Kerry Brown

Re: Windows Experience Index
"Uncle Nobby" <unc@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have windows Vista which had 2Gb of memory.
> The index was 5.2, that was the memory score.
>
> I have added another 2Gb.
> As its a 32bit OS only 3.5 GB is detected, but when I updated my windows
> experience the score went down for 5.2 to 5.
>
> Shouldn't it have gone up?

There's a lot of theories as to why this is. What it seems to come to is
many motherboards and some CPUs don't perform as well if you fill all four
DIMM slots. See the following thread for most of the theories on why this
happens.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/24...channel-memory

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Ron

Re: Windows Experience Index
On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 12:48:11 -0000, "Uncle Nobby" <unc@invalid.com>
wrote:

>Hi
>
>I have windows Vista which had 2Gb of memory.
>The index was 5.2, that was the memory score.
>
>I have added another 2Gb.
>As its a 32bit OS only 3.5 GB is detected, but when I updated my windows
>experience the score went down for 5.2 to 5.
>
>Shouldn't it have gone up?

No. Adding more memory increases the time it takes for memory to be
addressed. Don't put much stock in the WEI, though. Vista will run
things much better with more RAM regardless of the score.

WEI measures throughput, not amount. I had a 5.3 with 4GB. I went up
to 8GB and my WEI dropped to 5.0 All other scores are 5.9, though.

Dustin Harper

Re: Windows Experience Index
No. The memory score is based on memory throughput, rather than the amount.
However, you will gain more from adding the memory than the actual
throughput on most things.

--

Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

"Uncle Nobby" <unc@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have windows Vista which had 2Gb of memory.
> The index was 5.2, that was the memory score.
>
> I have added another 2Gb.
> As its a 32bit OS only 3.5 GB is detected, but when I updated my windows
> experience the score went down for 5.2 to 5.
>
> Shouldn't it have gone up?

Spirit

Re: Windows Experience Index
If the memory you added is not "exactly" the same speed it will add
LATENCY even if it was faster memory. If indeed the memory is
FASTER add it 1st and if slower put it in last.

Latency can also occur do you MB design. Even though the rating
is slightly slower you should still see an increase in system performance
particularly when you run many programs or a few memory hogging
ones.

"Uncle Nobby" <unc@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have windows Vista which had 2Gb of memory.
> The index was 5.2, that was the memory score.
>
> I have added another 2Gb.
> As its a 32bit OS only 3.5 GB is detected, but when I updated my windows
> experience the score went down for 5.2 to 5.
>
> Shouldn't it have gone up?

Chuck Walbourn [MSFT]

Re: Windows Experience Index
You might find this discussion of WEI helpful to understanding what the
numbers mean:

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...es/458117.aspx

--
-Chuck Walbourn
SDE, XNA Developer Connection

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warrenties, and confers no rights.

John

Re: Windows Experience Index
"Uncle Nobby" <unc@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have windows Vista which had 2Gb of memory.
> The index was 5.2, that was the memory score.
>
> I have added another 2Gb.
> As its a 32bit OS only 3.5 GB is detected, but when I updated my windows
> experience the score went down for 5.2 to 5.
>
> Shouldn't it have gone up?

The WEI will be the number of the worst device on your system. It won't
give you any credit at all for all the good stuff. Mine is down because I
only have a few hundred GB of disk space, not a quadzillion. Everything
else is 5.9, but the disk brings it to 5.2.

Kerry Brown

"John" <John@UseGroupOnly.com> wrote in message
> "Uncle Nobby" <unc@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I have windows Vista which had 2Gb of memory.
>> The index was 5.2, that was the memory score.
>>
>> I have added another 2Gb.
>> As its a 32bit OS only 3.5 GB is detected, but when I updated my windows
>> experience the score went down for 5.2 to 5.
>>
>> Shouldn't it have gone up?

> The WEI will be the number of the worst device on your system. It won't
> give you any credit at all for all the good stuff. Mine is down because I
> only have a few hundred GB of disk space, not a quadzillion. Everything
> else is 5.9, but the disk brings it to 5.2.

The disk measurement is a measurement of throughput not free space. The WEI
is not about creating a number to brag about but to point out where the
bottleneck is so you will have an idea on what would be the best upgrade to
a system.

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

KingOfChaos

Uncle Nobby;657090 Wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have windows Vista which had 2Gb of memory.
> The index was 5.2, that was the memory score.
>
> I have added another 2Gb.
> As its a 32bit OS only 3.5 GB is detected, but when I updated my
> windows
> experience the score went down for 5.2 to 5.
>
> Shouldn't it have gone up?

Also, you may have lost dual channel memory performance, depending on
the type of RAM you installed.

--
KingOfChaos