Can not play any games and system freezes.

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

Xyptyk

Can not play any games and system freezes.
Hello group.

A friend recently put together my new system, using Windows Vista Home
Premium ( OEM ) 64 bit OS around two weeks ago. Some other bits of interest
are: core 2 duo E6850 processor; 4GB RAM; Asus Maximus Formula MB; Nvidia
GForce 8800GT Video Card and I am using the onboard sound from the Mother
board.

My friend built this system and installed the OS. Now the system will
freeze during many different tasks. While downloading files from a driver
update site, ( NVIDIA ) I clicked the start menu, the system froze up. I play
Games, LoTRO, Call of Duty, Crysis, Battlefield2 and 2142. Most of the time
these games will freeze while I am logging in, at other times they will just
reboot the system or very rarely they will just crash back to the desktop.

All the latest drivers and windows updates have been installed and
reinstalled and re-downloaded from their respective sites. Still I am having
this problem. I have spent the last two days going through the forums here
looking for similiar problems and responses. A lot of great information is
out there, unfortunately no specific solutions to my problem.

No anti-virus programs are installed, running only the security measures
that come with Vista. Oh, and Microsoft wont support their product in chat,
phone or e-mails unless i pay blackmail to them, so they are a bust in the
support area.
Any Help would be appreciated
Thank you

Thom.

Andy [YaYa]

Re: Can not play any games and system freezes.
"Xyptyk" <Xyptyk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A0A6377-145C-4C69-87A8-FED8F00B2F84@microsoft.com...
> Hello group.
>
> A friend recently put together my new system, using Windows Vista Home
> Premium ( OEM ) 64 bit OS around two weeks ago. Some other bits of interest
> are: core 2 duo E6850 processor; 4GB RAM; Asus Maximus Formula MB; Nvidia
> GForce 8800GT Video Card and I am using the onboard sound from the Mother
> board.
>
> My friend built this system and installed the OS. Now the system will
> freeze during many different tasks. While downloading files from a driver
> update site, ( NVIDIA ) I clicked the start menu, the system froze up. I play
> Games, LoTRO, Call of Duty, Crysis, Battlefield2 and 2142. Most of the time
> these games will freeze while I am logging in, at other times they will just
> reboot the system or very rarely they will just crash back to the desktop.
>
> All the latest drivers and windows updates have been installed and
> reinstalled and re-downloaded from their respective sites. Still I am having
> this problem. I have spent the last two days going through the forums here
> looking for similiar problems and responses. A lot of great information is
> out there, unfortunately no specific solutions to my problem.
>
> No anti-virus programs are installed, running only the security measures
> that come with Vista. Oh, and Microsoft wont support their product in chat,
> phone or e-mails unless i pay blackmail to them, so they are a bust in the
> support area.

That's because you installed the OEM version of Windows, OEM versions are supported by the people who sell the OEM software. If you wanted support from Microsoft you should of bought the full retail version. Yes, you saved some money on Vista, but now you're on your own because whoever you bought the software from probably doesn't have a Windows Vista Support group. Next time buy the RETAIL version unless the person you bought the OEM software has support, in which case he would of installed the software for you and charged you as appropriate, in which case you would of been better of BUYING RETAIL!

Another downside to OEM is if you ever upgrade your PC hardware, Microsoft doesn't legally have to re-activate your software. OEM software is usually installed on a system, and the licence only covers that hardware/software. A Retail licence you can uninstall and reinstall on a new computer if you want and you're still covered. Given MS Operating systems usually last 5-10 years, you're gonna have to buy another copy of Vista in 2-3 years, where a Retail key will last you the lifetime of the product.

Not much information to go on, but if "your friend" knows anything about computer building (Is MSCE, since he's selling you an OEM OS) then he should probably check all his connections to make sure nothing is shorting out (mobo touching metal, expansion cards not inserted correctly, etc)., Run some PC Diagnostics on the hardware, it sounds like there's some hardware failing on your system.

Something isn't installed correctly, something is damaged, bad RAM, CPU not getting correctly cooled, Video card overheating/dying, OS not installed correctly, drivers not working correctly, etc.

Your guess is as good as mine at this point. If I saw the system in action I could probably find the problem. For you, I'll only charge $75/hr. That's cheap.

You might also try The Geek Squad, take your system to any Best Buy, if it boots into Windows they will check your OS out for free, but an Advanced Diagnostics and Repair runs $199 + the cost of any hardware that needs to be replaced.

Good luck dude. Next time buy retail hardware AND software (Microsoft isn't trying to blackmail you, they are running a business, there's a difference, though not much), OEM is for people who know what they are doing and can fix their own problems or don't mind paying to get their problems fixed. In the long run you waste more money than you save.

-A.

> Any Help would be appreciated
> Thank you
>
> Thom.

Olivier

Re: Can not play any games and system freezes.
maybe this could help ?

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=940105

regards

--
Olivier
VRG Scotty

"Olivier" <olivier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> maybe this could help ?
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=940105

Yes or install SP1 as it has loads of fixes including the 940105 update
--
VRG Scotty

www.vistareadygames.com
Register, it's free, and use the 'search for solution' tab for any problems