Question about Program

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

Betty

Question about Program
Has anybody here used the program EndItAll 2 with Vista?

I was thinking about installing it to end background tasks & such in order
to play my games. Since Vista is such a resource hog, thought this might
help with the performance of my game.

I don't know which programs or anything that is running in the background to
stop or end so thought this program "End It All" might help.

Any advise or help is appreciated!

Betty

VRG Scotty

Re: Question about Program

"Betty" <bdj2007@windstreams.com> wrote in message
> Has anybody here used the program EndItAll 2 with Vista?
>
> I was thinking about installing it to end background tasks & such in order
> to play my games. Since Vista is such a resource hog, thought this might
> help with the performance of my game.
>
> I don't know which programs or anything that is running in the background
> to stop or end so thought this program "End It All" might help.
>
> Any advise or help is appreciated!

Hi Betty, Vista isn't a resource hog at all if set up right, can you give us
some spec details of your machine? what version of Vista? and also the games
you are having problems with?
--
VRG Scotty

www.vistareadygames.com
Register, it's free, and use the 'search for solution' tab for any problems

Andy [YaYa]

Re: Question about Program
"VRG Scotty" <vrg-scotty@vistareadygames.com> wrote in message news:%23kw15cgiIHA.4536@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

> "Betty" <bdj2007@windstreams.com> wrote in message
>> Has anybody here used the program EndItAll 2 with Vista?
>>
>> I was thinking about installing it to end background tasks & such in order
>> to play my games. Since Vista is such a resource hog, thought this might
>> help with the performance of my game.
>>
>> I don't know which programs or anything that is running in the background
>> to stop or end so thought this program "End It All" might help.
>>
>> Any advise or help is appreciated!

> Hi Betty, Vista isn't a resource hog at all if set up right, can you give us
> some spec details of your machine? what version of Vista? and also the games
> you are having problems with?

Well, it kind of is... I mean like if you run Windows 98 and then run Windows Vista on the same system. Vista uses a lot more resources. Basically "Next Gen" operating systems generally need "Next Gen" hardware to maintain the same "feel".

That said I agree with Scott, what kind of problems are you having, maybe if we had your computer make/model we can give you some advice.

I found Vista runs pretty lean without disabling key features that makes Vista, Vista. You can try disabling Aero, and all the other bells and visual whistles. That might help a bit.

I would like to STRONGLY speak out against applications like what you describe however. Registry "Cleaners", and software designed to "Speed up" your system usually do more damage then they are worth. They might make your system perform a little bit better in the short term, but over time it can lead to more problems.

Good luck,
-A.
Dustin Harper

Re: Question about Program
I've used it for running FSX, and I'm not sure if the difference is all in
my head or a real difference, but there is a small difference. It isn't
cleaning the registry at all or anything. It's shutting down programs and
services not being used to play the game to free up resources.

But, it does work fine.

--

Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

"Betty" <bdj2007@windstreams.com> wrote in message
> Has anybody here used the program EndItAll 2 with Vista?
>
> I was thinking about installing it to end background tasks & such in order
> to play my games. Since Vista is such a resource hog, thought this might
> help with the performance of my game.
>
> I don't know which programs or anything that is running in the background
> to stop or end so thought this program "End It All" might help.
>
> Any advise or help is appreciated!
>
> Betty

Betty

Re: Question about Program
Thanks everyone who replied.

Dustin, it says that it protects the vital stuff in the background that is
suppose to run and just shows the background stuff that's not so important
for me to shut down. Hope this makes sense. My game, Sims 2 with 7 expansion
packs plus lots of custom stuff is also a resource hog and so I thought if I
could shut down non important stuff from running......would leave the
resources for my game to play better.

My computer specs are:

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6400 (Gateway GM5424) bought last Feb. 2007
Dual-Core 64bit Processor with Intel VT Technology
Each core operates at 2.13 Ghz, shared 2 MB L2 cache, 1066 MHz FSB

Memory:
2048 MB DDR2

nVidia Geforce 8600 GT with driver 169.25

Hard Drive:
400 GB SATA 2

Windows Vista Ultimate
5.1 windows experience index

Hope this information helps.

Thanks everybody....Betty

"Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
> I've used it for running FSX, and I'm not sure if the difference is all in
> my head or a real difference, but there is a small difference. It isn't
> cleaning the registry at all or anything. It's shutting down programs and
> services not being used to play the game to free up resources.
>
> But, it does work fine.
>
> --
>
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com | Vista Resource & Information Page
>

> "Betty" <bdj2007@windstreams.com> wrote in message
>> Has anybody here used the program EndItAll 2 with Vista?
>>
>> I was thinking about installing it to end background tasks & such in
>> order to play my games. Since Vista is such a resource hog, thought this
>> might help with the performance of my game.
>>
>> I don't know which programs or anything that is running in the background
>> to stop or end so thought this program "End It All" might help.
>>
>> Any advise or help is appreciated!
>>
>> Betty

Andy [YaYa]

Re: Question about Program
"Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message news:085EF735-CD2A-4DE2-9A04-3C4570BAA6EE@microsoft.com...
> I've used it for running FSX, and I'm not sure if the difference is all in
> my head or a real difference, but there is a small difference. It isn't
> cleaning the registry at all or anything. It's shutting down programs and
> services not being used to play the game to free up resources.
>
> But, it does work fine.
>
> --
>
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com | Vista Resource & Information Page
>

> "Betty" <bdj2007@windstreams.com> wrote in message
>> Has anybody here used the program EndItAll 2 with Vista?
>>
>> I was thinking about installing it to end background tasks & such in order
>> to play my games. Since Vista is such a resource hog, thought this might
>> help with the performance of my game.
>>
>> I don't know which programs or anything that is running in the background
>> to stop or end so thought this program "End It All" might help.
>>
>> Any advise or help is appreciated!
>>
>> Betty

Would be easier to just slap in another gig of ram. Only time your system is going to take a hit is if it has to swap to virtual ram, add more ram and that probably should go away.

-A.
Andy [YaYa]

Re: Question about Program
"Betty" <bdj2007@windstreams.com> wrote in message news:%23sSOaWpiIHA.1164@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Thanks everyone who replied.
>
> Dustin, it says that it protects the vital stuff in the background that is
> suppose to run and just shows the background stuff that's not so important
> for me to shut down. Hope this makes sense. My game, Sims 2 with 7 expansion
> packs plus lots of custom stuff is also a resource hog and so I thought if I
> could shut down non important stuff from running......would leave the
> resources for my game to play better.
>
> My computer specs are:
>
> Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6400 (Gateway GM5424) bought last Feb. 2007
> Dual-Core 64bit Processor with Intel VT Technology
> Each core operates at 2.13 Ghz, shared 2 MB L2 cache, 1066 MHz FSB
>
> Memory:
> 2048 MB DDR2
>
> nVidia Geforce 8600 GT with driver 169.25
>
> Hard Drive:
> 400 GB SATA 2
>
> Windows Vista Ultimate
> 5.1 windows experience index
>
> Hope this information helps.
>
> Thanks everybody....Betty
>

> "Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
>> I've used it for running FSX, and I'm not sure if the difference is all in
>> my head or a real difference, but there is a small difference. It isn't
>> cleaning the registry at all or anything. It's shutting down programs and
>> services not being used to play the game to free up resources.
>>
>> But, it does work fine.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Dustin Harper
>> dharper@vistarip.com
>> http://www.vistarip.com | Vista Resource & Information Page
>>

>> "Betty" <bdj2007@windstreams.com> wrote in message
>>> Has anybody here used the program EndItAll 2 with Vista?
>>>
>>> I was thinking about installing it to end background tasks & such in
>>> order to play my games. Since Vista is such a resource hog, thought this
>>> might help with the performance of my game.
>>>
>>> I don't know which programs or anything that is running in the background
>>> to stop or end so thought this program "End It All" might help.
>>>
>>> Any advise or help is appreciated!
>>>
>>> Betty

Problem with Sims 2 is when you get on a big lot that uses a lot of textures and has to Simulate for more than 2 Sims. The game engine just can't handle it, and from what I can tell the game isn't Multi-Threaded, or whatever you call it when it uses more than one CPU core at a time.

I haven't played in a while though, Maybe when I get my Quad Core with RAID-0 setup I'll have to try it again, and see if a fast HD and CPU makes a difference.

Got a friend testing Sims 3, he said it's still unoptimized, but runs great on Dual/Quad core setups, so that's good news.

-A.
ATCSMike

Re: Question about Program
Betty wrote:
> Has anybody here used the program EndItAll 2 with Vista?
>
> I was thinking about installing it to end background tasks & such in
> order to play my games. Since Vista is such a resource hog, thought this
> might help with the performance of my game.
>
> I don't know which programs or anything that is running in the
> background to stop or end so thought this program "End It All" might help.
>
> Any advise or help is appreciated!
>
> Betty

I've used EnditAll 2 with XP for years and Vista just recently. I have
had no problems with it, although with Vista it doesn't kill all the
apps as it does with XP. I have to go into Task Manager (Vista) and kill
the programs manually. They are mainly my anti-virus, wireless, (I don't
play online), the finger print reader and a couple of others.

If you do kill an app that the computer doesn't like, it will most like
crash and just remember not to kill that one. I've used it enough to
know which ones to kill or stop and which not to.

Hope this helps.

Mike
ATCSMike

Re: Question about Program
Betty wrote:
> Has anybody here used the program EndItAll 2 with Vista?
>
> I was thinking about installing it to end background tasks & such in
> order to play my games. Since Vista is such a resource hog, thought this
> might help with the performance of my game.
>
> I don't know which programs or anything that is running in the
> background to stop or end so thought this program "End It All" might help.
>
> Any advise or help is appreciated!
>
> Betty

A P.S. to my previous post. After I'm done gaming I just restart the
computer with no ill effects. All the apps that were stopped restart
when you reboot.

Be careful, if you aren't sure it's safe to stop don't stop it.

Mike