help

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

The5thBeatle

help
I recently purchased a new game: test drive unlimited. my computer is way
over all the minimum requirements except for video ram.
system specs:
toshiba a215 s4747
AMD turion 64 x2
ati radeon x1200 graphics card
128mb video ram, 256mb needed for test drive
windows vista home premium
1GB RAM, 4GB virtual RAM
nothing in the bios about changing size of RAM, no bios update available
nothing about the frame buffer anywhere in anything pertaining to the
graphics card
latest video driver installed.
Andy [YaYa]

Re: help
"The5thBeatle" <The5thBeatle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently purchased a new game: test drive unlimited. my computer is way
> over all the minimum requirements except for video ram.
> system specs:
> toshiba a215 s4747
> AMD turion 64 x2
> ati radeon x1200 graphics card
> 128mb video ram, 256mb needed for test drive
> windows vista home premium
> 1GB RAM, 4GB virtual RAM
> nothing in the bios about changing size of RAM, no bios update available
> nothing about the frame buffer anywhere in anything pertaining to the
> graphics card
> latest video driver installed.

Test Drive requires 256Megs video ram? I find that highly unlikely, and if
that is the case then Test Drive is not a very well written program and
should probably be returned.

Your notebook doesn't have a lot of BIOS settings, I know, I have the same
model, that's because you really should not mess around with your BIOS
unless you know what you are doing, and usually when you do, you use the
bios to get some more speed or disable hardware, etc. Stuff by default you
do not need to do to use the computer.

So what's funny about your post is you didn't say what the problem is. You
said:

"I recently purchased a new game: test drive unlimited. my computer is way
over all the minimum requirements except for video ram."

....AND THAT'S IT. How bout, "The game runs really slow", or "I can't get the
game to install/run", or even, "NO WORKIE".

I mean besides the subject line, "help" after carefully reading your post
I've come to the conclusion that you aren't having problems, you simply are
telling us that this game is running on your notebook, or you're hoping
there's some way to assign more RAM to your video card (there isn't).

You have what we in the biz call, a "business" notebook. It's not designed
for gaming. You can run games on it thanks to ATi being compatible with just
about everything out there, but you're going to have to drop your video card
settings (in the game) all the way to LOW or Minimal.

Once you do that the game should be playable. If the game isn't starting up
at all, update all your video/chipset/audio drivers, make sure you're not
running other programs, reboot before installing/running the game, and try
again.

My Toshiba A215-S4767 has a faster CPU and I can barely run Lord of the
Rings Online at low settings. Portal/Half Life 2 run pretty slow, and Team
Fortress 2 is almost unplayable (online multiplayer needs decent FPS to be
competitive).

Good luck,
A.
\
p.s. Sorry if I sounded harsh there, but you people need to READ THROUGH
your message BEFORE you hit Send. Sorry I'm lumping everyone into the
shallow end of the pool. Know that I am a total tool and feel free to ignore
my inane ramblings.

-A.

The5thBeatle

Re: help

"Andy [YaYa]" wrote:

> [...]

> Once you do that the game should be playable. If the game isn't starting up
> at all, update all your video/chipset/audio drivers, make sure you're not
> running other programs, reboot before installing/running the game, and try
> again.
>
> My Toshiba A215-S4767 has a faster CPU and I can barely run Lord of the
> Rings Online at low settings. Portal/Half Life 2 run pretty slow, and Team
> Fortress 2 is almost unplayable (online multiplayer needs decent FPS to be
> competitive).
>
> Good luck,
> A.
> \
> p.s. Sorry if I sounded harsh there, but you people need to READ THROUGH
> your message BEFORE you hit Send. Sorry I'm lumping everyone into the
> shallow end of the pool. Know that I am a total tool and feel free to ignore

The5thBeatle

Re: help

"Andy [YaYa]" wrote:

> [...]

> Once you do that the game should be playable. If the game isn't starting up
> at all, update all your video/chipset/audio drivers, make sure you're not
> running other programs, reboot before installing/running the game, and try
> again.
>
> My Toshiba A215-S4767 has a faster CPU and I can barely run Lord of the
> Rings Online at low settings. Portal/Half Life 2 run pretty slow, and Team
> Fortress 2 is almost unplayable (online multiplayer needs decent FPS to be
> competitive).
>
> Good luck,
> A.
> \
> p.s. Sorry if I sounded harsh there, but you people need to READ THROUGH
> your message BEFORE you hit Send. Sorry I'm lumping everyone into the
> shallow end of the pool. Know that I am a total tool and feel free to ignore

so sorry.
the game has a HORRIBLE framerate. the only settings are resolution, high
medium and low details and brightness.
Andy [YaYa]

Re: help
"The5thBeatle" <The5thBeatle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news7C4B7E3-0732-497E-95F5-DE8354A26F6D@microsoft.com...

> [...]

>> again.
>>
>> My Toshiba A215-S4767 has a faster CPU and I can barely run Lord of the
>> Rings Online at low settings. Portal/Half Life 2 run pretty slow, and Team
>> Fortress 2 is almost unplayable (online multiplayer needs decent FPS to be
>> competitive).
>>
>> Good luck,
>> A.
>> \
>> p.s. Sorry if I sounded harsh there, but you people need to READ THROUGH
>> your message BEFORE you hit Send. Sorry I'm lumping everyone into the
>> shallow end of the pool. Know that I am a total tool and feel free to ignore
>> my inane ramblings.
>>
>> -A.
>>

> so sorry.
> the game has a HORRIBLE framerate. the only settings are resolution, high

Hehe, no problem, glad you responded.

As suspected, your system just isn't really designed for all these high end games coming out. Drop your details to low, and that's probably as good as it's going to get. If you can also drop the resolution as low as it'll go. At least that way the game should be a bit better.

Let me see what the game website says...
Hey, found a forum for the game... and there's a post with "Performance Tips", http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...d.php?t=574938

Here's a couple highlights that might help you. Some of these seem to be "hacks" of sorts, but they might help.

From UnXsIsT -- Higher FPS in Urban areas
Discussion here: http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...d.php?t=574914

/////************** Note -- Some users have experienced problems (crashing) with this tip ***********//

Hey guys!

I was just messing around a bit with all the settings, because I don't have a high end pc and TDU is just lagging TOO much when I drive in the city.

But I found out a trick to make your FPS rise!

Go to your TDU install folder, and RENAME the following folder:

\Euro\Bnk\Details to \Euro\Bnk\BAK_Details

The above will delete all flying stuff in the world: like birds and those silly papers flying around in the city which are causing FPS drops!
--snip--

Don't know if that'll help, but I'd try it. Might not be in a Euro folder though, look for a US or whatever country of origin you reign from.

The5thBeatle

Re: help

"Andy [YaYa]" wrote:

> [...]

> Discussion here: http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...d.php?t=574914
>
> /////************** Note -- Some users have experienced problems
> (crashing) with this tip ***********//
>
> Hey guys!
>
> I was just messing around a bit with all the settings, because I don't
> have a high end pc and TDU is just lagging TOO much when I drive in the
> city.
>
> But I found out a trick to make your FPS rise!
>
> Go to your TDU install folder, and RENAME the following folder:
>
> \Euro\Bnk\Details to \Euro\Bnk\BAK_Details
>
> The above will delete all flying stuff in the world: like birds and those
> silly papers flying around in the city which are causing FPS drops!
> --snip--
>
> Don't know if that'll help, but I'd try it. Might not be in a Euro folder
> though, look for a US or whatever country of origin you reign from.

thank you for not being like oh so many idiots out there who say:

geaz you are an **** idiott. goa to yur install falder and delete the world
of warquest file. you should have unlimited munny now!!!!

I thank you.