Games freezing and becoming unclosable

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

ukgam3r

Games freezing and becoming unclosable
On a lot of my games (especially games running on the Source engine), my game
will suddenly stop responding. When I try to close them by right clicking on
their button in the taskbar and selecting "Close", the End Application dialog
box pops up and I click End Application, but nothing happens. If I try to end
the process for the game through CTRL+ALT+DEL, this also does not work, and
the program sits there eating up my RAM (but having a very little effect on
my CPU). If I try to restart the computer, the program still refuses to
close, and so the computer cannot shut down. I have to flick the power switch
on the back of the computer in order to shut it down. I am at a loss at what
to do to resolve this problem.
sahitanand

Re: Games freezing and becoming unclosable

have installed SP1? oh! what are your system and OS specs?

--
sahitanand

ASUS P5KC
INTEL CORE2QUAD Q6600
4 GB DDR2 800MHZ
500 GB SATAII HDD
512 MB GEFORCE 8600GT
22" VIEWSONIC LCD
BigDBugzy

Re: Games freezing and becoming unclosable

Hi. I'm having the same problem for the most part. Recently my hard
drive died on me so i had to re-install vista and all my programs on a
new one. everything seemed to be working fine until i tried to Garry's
Mod and it did the same freezing thing as stated above. I've spent
hours looking for the problem on the net and messing around with
settings to fix it. So far i haven't been able to find anything that
works all the time. the best I have gotten is for it to shut down once
with no problems, then next time start freezing again.

I read how it could be the Ram that is causing the problem, but i
switched it out with my old Ram and it didn't help any. also, i read
that Zonealarm could cause it too, but i tried running it without it and
it still does it. I'm good at solving problems with computers most of
the time, but this just has me stuck with no solutions. also, i dont
like having to do a hard shutdown on my new hard drive every time i want
to shut down, but i gotta run the program to see if its fixed. help on
this would be greatly appreciated.

--
BigDBugzy
Clevo

Re: Games freezing and becoming unclosable

It must be Garry's Mod...(whatever it is) that's causing the problem?

--
Clevo
Andy [YaYa]

"Clevo" <Clevo.36ryc5@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message news:Clevo.36ryc5@no-mx.forums.net...

> It must be Garry's Mod...(whatever it is) that's causing the problem?

OMG you don't know what Garry's Mod is?

Hang your head in shame! Go on... hang it... LOWER... We'll wait.

http://www.garrysmod.com/

Garry's Mod 9 is free, I think you can still download it, Garry's Mod 10 is like $10, and is really fun. If you're even remotely interesting in playing around with all the Source Engine assets, this is the way to do it.

For some examples of some of the more "zany" things to come out of Garry's Mod, look here.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OHxyZaZlaOs

BigDBugzy

Re: Games freezing and becoming unclosable

Ummm...Yea, its deffinately not Garry's Mod that is causing the
problems. I have had Garry's Mod 10 well before my hard drive died and
i never had this problem with it. it only started doing this after i
had to install a new copy of Vista. this is why i wasnt looking forward
to installing the OS again, because i figured it would be worse off than
it was before, and i had finally fixed all my problems with it too. >_<
I also heard that it could have something to do with the voltage going
to the Ram and CPU, but as far as i can tell it is getting enough power.

--
BigDBugzy