saving games

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

pccook

saving games
I am new to the vistas program and have seen that there is a file to save
game progress. One example is the game Settlers rise of an empire. When I
save the game it saves it in my Documents file. When I try to move this to My
saved games file the game does not recognize any saved games. Any Ideas how I
can keep my saved games in saved games folder that I can keep my Documents
file cleaned up?
Geoffrey Cohen

Re: saving games
Possibly. You would have to uninstall the game, delete any remaining
folders, reboot, reinstall the game and see if there are any options for
folder locations that you can change during a custom install. Most likely,
though, the game installation will only offer the option of where to install
the game software but not the saved game directory. Unless you can edit the
registry entry for the directory that the game uses for saved games, you are
out of luck and I wouldn't recommend messing with the Windows Registry for
something like this. The purpose of using the My Documents folder was
precisely so that the saved games don't interfere with the actual game
software and can be easily deleted when you are done with playing the game.

Geoffrey Cohen

"pccook" <pccook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am new to the vistas program and have seen that there is a file to save
> game progress. One example is the game Settlers rise of an empire. When I
> save the game it saves it in my Documents file. When I try to move this to
> My
> saved games file the game does not recognize any saved games. Any Ideas
> how I
> can keep my saved games in saved games folder that I can keep my Documents
> file cleaned up?

Andy [YaYa]

Re: saving games
"pccook" <pccook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am new to the vistas program and have seen that there is a file to save
> game progress. One example is the game Settlers rise of an empire. When I
> save the game it saves it in my Documents file. When I try to move this to
> My
> saved games file the game does not recognize any saved games. Any Ideas
> how I
> can keep my saved games in saved games folder that I can keep my Documents
> file cleaned up?

When you play a game and you click Save, USUALLY the game looks in a place
it's been "trained" to look in for save files. If you then take the game
files you've saved and MOVE them to a different folder, then the game won't
be able to find them again (unless the game has a file browser then you can
search your HD for the save files, rare).

The My Saved Games folder is a "new feature" of Vista, most games, unless
they came out after Vista was released do not use this folder. I imagine
it'll only be a matter of time before all games use this location for saved
games, but until then when you save a game, assume that's where the game
needs the save files to be in order to find them again. In MOST cases, game
saves go into My Documents in pre-vista OSs which is the Documents folder in
your user area.

So in other words, you can't, unless the game can find files in locations
other than where it's used to looking. If someone here has a copy of
Settlers maybe they can tell you if there's a setting you can switch that'll
allow Settlers to save in a different folder. (Might also contact the game
maker directly)

Good luck,
Andy