Online gaming in Vista not working

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

Need2playGames

Online gaming in Vista not working
All games work fine in XP,
but when i switched to vista, i tried to play online games like Rakion or
Wolfteam, it freezes when i try to start the game, i dont see any problem
when im actually on the game list choosing a room to enter, but when i enter
the game, the screen freezes...
also, when i try to run Wolfteam, the RAM shoots up to 100% and the process
takes up over 200,000K, i dont get this

Specs: (if it helps)
RAM = 2039MB
Vista Home Premium 32 bits
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz
Geoffrey Cohen

Re: Online gaming in Vista not working
Most likely, it has nothing to do with the game itself but the ton of other
things that are loading and running after you boot up Vista. Since this is
occurring online, I would wonder if some of the items running are more
active when you are online. Could be antivirus and/or internet security
software or many other items that are active when you are online. Make sure
programs like email are shut down, and try shutting down other programs to
see if that makes a difference.

Geoffrey Cohen

"Need2playGames" <Need2playGames@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> All games work fine in XP,
> but when i switched to vista, i tried to play online games like Rakion or
> Wolfteam, it freezes when i try to start the game, i dont see any problem
> when im actually on the game list choosing a room to enter, but when i
> enter
> the game, the screen freezes...
> also, when i try to run Wolfteam, the RAM shoots up to 100% and the
> process
> takes up over 200,000K, i dont get this
>
> Specs: (if it helps)
> RAM = 2039MB
> Vista Home Premium 32 bits
> Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz

Need2playGames

Re: Online gaming in Vista not working
no i dont think that is the problm, i shut down most applications before
starting the game

i read something about conflicts between Vista's directX 10 and some games
have directX 9 ... someone said that they both try to allocate memory for the
game..
anyway to fix that??

"Geoffrey Cohen" wrote:

> Most likely, it has nothing to do with the game itself but the ton of other
> things that are loading and running after you boot up Vista. Since this is
> occurring online, I would wonder if some of the items running are more
> active when you are online. Could be antivirus and/or internet security
> software or many other items that are active when you are online. Make sure
> programs like email are shut down, and try shutting down other programs to
> see if that makes a difference.
>
> Geoffrey Cohen
>
> "Need2playGames" <Need2playGames@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > All games work fine in XP,
> > but when i switched to vista, i tried to play online games like Rakion or
> > Wolfteam, it freezes when i try to start the game, i dont see any problem
> > when im actually on the game list choosing a room to enter, but when i
> > enter
> > the game, the screen freezes...
> > also, when i try to run Wolfteam, the RAM shoots up to 100% and the
> > process
> > takes up over 200,000K, i dont get this
> >
> > Specs: (if it helps)
> > RAM = 2039MB
> > Vista Home Premium 32 bits
> > Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz

Geoffrey Cohen

Re: Online gaming in Vista not working
All versions of DirectX are backwards compatible. If the game was designed
under DirectX 9, it will work under DirectX 10. You don't have two
different versions of DirectX on your system. If you have upgraded to
DirectX 10, that is the only version that you have. You can always check by
going to http://www.update.microsoft.com. Click on the Custom button. Then
check the Recommended Updates. If there is an update for DirectX, you can
upgrade. Also, when you say you shut down "most" applications, are you also
shutting down the various items that load during bootup? Press CTL+ALT+ESC.
On the Applications tab, you will see any running "programs" that you
started after bootup. However, a lot of "processes" loaded during bootup.
Any non-Microsoft processes may conflict with a game; especially when it
comes to memory addressing.