Built-in Vista games will not run

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

zooeyhallne

Built-in Vista games will not run
I have a laptop that I recently installed Vista Business on for a new
employee. This was a clean install. The user called back that none of the
Games he was familiar with in XP were available. I went into Control Panel,
and went to the XP equivalent of Add/remove programs/ add Windows Components
and checked the boxes for the Games. The pc seemed to install something, and
when I was finished there were Games under the games folder.

However, only Spider Solitaire will play. When I click on any of the others
nothing comes up.

The user is a member of the Administrators group. I tried right-clicking
and chose Run as Administrator, and the games (except for Spider Solitare)
still do not play.

Again--this is not an upgrade from XP, but a new install. What am I missing
about this problem?
goofeytwo

RE: Built-in Vista games will not run
I am having the same problem, no games show up under the games folder, they
were there when we got the computer and it is also running vista business
edition, did you find a solution for it?

reply to goofeytwo@yahoo.com

"zooeyhallne" wrote:

> I have a laptop that I recently installed Vista Business on for a new
> employee. This was a clean install. The user called back that none of the
> Games he was familiar with in XP were available. I went into Control Panel,
> and went to the XP equivalent of Add/remove programs/ add Windows Components
> and checked the boxes for the Games. The pc seemed to install something, and
> when I was finished there were Games under the games folder.
>
> However, only Spider Solitaire will play. When I click on any of the others
> nothing comes up.
>
> The user is a member of the Administrators group. I tried right-clicking
> and chose Run as Administrator, and the games (except for Spider Solitare)
> still do not play.
>
> Again--this is not an upgrade from XP, but a new install. What am I missing
> about this problem?

zooeyhallne

RE: Built-in Vista games will not run
I still haven't found an answer. I have found several posts that describe
the problem. Usually the "expert" replies back that it is because a Vista
upgrade from XP does not support the XP games. The poster replies that:
"no--this wasn't an upgrade but a new install". On every instance the thread
goes dead after that, so I can only assume that, as of yet, no one really
KNOWS why this is happening.

"goofeytwo" wrote:

> I am having the same problem, no games show up under the games folder, they
> were there when we got the computer and it is also running vista business
> edition, did you find a solution for it?
>
> reply to goofeytwo@yahoo.com
>
> "zooeyhallne" wrote:
>
> > I have a laptop that I recently installed Vista Business on for a new
> > employee. This was a clean install. The user called back that none of the
> > Games he was familiar with in XP were available. I went into Control Panel,
> > and went to the XP equivalent of Add/remove programs/ add Windows Components
> > and checked the boxes for the Games. The pc seemed to install something, and
> > when I was finished there were Games under the games folder.
> >
> > However, only Spider Solitaire will play. When I click on any of the others
> > nothing comes up.
> >
> > The user is a member of the Administrators group. I tried right-clicking
> > and chose Run as Administrator, and the games (except for Spider Solitare)
> > still do not play.
> >
> > Again--this is not an upgrade from XP, but a new install. What am I missing
> > about this problem?

MariaV

RE: Built-in Vista games will not run
Hello,

Ihave the same problem with you. I bought a new notebook wich runs Vista
Business and there are no games. I also tryed the "Turn Windows Features on"
from Control Panel but nothing installed.

"zooeyhallne" wrote:

> I still haven't found an answer. I have found several posts that describe
> the problem. Usually the "expert" replies back that it is because a Vista
> upgrade from XP does not support the XP games. The poster replies that:
> "no--this wasn't an upgrade but a new install". On every instance the thread
> goes dead after that, so I can only assume that, as of yet, no one really
> KNOWS why this is happening.
>
> "goofeytwo" wrote:
>
> > I am having the same problem, no games show up under the games folder, they
> > were there when we got the computer and it is also running vista business
> > edition, did you find a solution for it?
> >
> > reply to goofeytwo@yahoo.com
> >
> > "zooeyhallne" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a laptop that I recently installed Vista Business on for a new
> > > employee. This was a clean install. The user called back that none of the
> > > Games he was familiar with in XP were available. I went into Control Panel,
> > > and went to the XP equivalent of Add/remove programs/ add Windows Components
> > > and checked the boxes for the Games. The pc seemed to install something, and
> > > when I was finished there were Games under the games folder.
> > >
> > > However, only Spider Solitaire will play. When I click on any of the others
> > > nothing comes up.
> > >
> > > The user is a member of the Administrators group. I tried right-clicking
> > > and chose Run as Administrator, and the games (except for Spider Solitare)
> > > still do not play.
> > >
> > > Again--this is not an upgrade from XP, but a new install. What am I missing
> > > about this problem?

MariaV

"MariaV" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have the same problem with you. I bought a new notebook which runs Vista
> Business and there are no games. I also tryed the "Turn Windows Features on"
> from Control Panel but nothing installed.
>
> "zooeyhallne" wrote:
>
> > I still haven't found an answer. I have found several posts that describe
> > the problem. Usually the "expert" replies back that it is because a Vista
> > upgrade from XP does not support the XP games. The poster replies that:
> > "no--this wasn't an upgrade but a new install". On every instance the thread
> > goes dead after that, so I can only assume that, as of yet, no one really
> > KNOWS why this is happening.
> >
> > "goofeytwo" wrote:
> >
> > > I am having the same problem, no games show up under the games folder, they
> > > were there when we got the computer and it is also running vista business
> > > edition, did you find a solution for it?
> > >
> > > reply to goofeytwo@yahoo.com

Andy [YaYa]

"MariaV" <MariaV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsA804AE2-2AFE-4FDC-ACC9-7081B7233869@microsoft.com...

> "MariaV" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have the same problem with you. I bought a new notebook which runs
>> Vista
>> Business and there are no games. I also tryed the "Turn Windows Features
>> on"
>> from Control Panel but nothing installed.
>>
>> "zooeyhallne" wrote:
>>
>> > I still haven't found an answer. I have found several posts that
>> > describe
>> > the problem. Usually the "expert" replies back that it is because a
>> > Vista
>> > upgrade from XP does not support the XP games. The poster replies
>> > that:
>> > "no--this wasn't an upgrade but a new install". On every instance the
>> > thread
>> > goes dead after that, so I can only assume that, as of yet, no one
>> > really
>> > KNOWS why this is happening.

Once you install the games using add windows features the games should
appear in your start menu, just search for games or chess or solitare, etc.

The Games Explorer link can be added to your start menu if you right-click
your start button, choose Properties, then Customize..., and under Games,
click on "Display as a link" and press OK to get out.

Then when you bring up Start there will be an entry for Games under your
account name on the right.

-A.

People, it's only solitare, there are tons of freeware games out there
that'll do the trick to get you over the "mid-day hump".

MariaV

Re: Built-in Vista games will not run
Hello,

I tryed to install the games using add windows features but an error appears
"An Error has occured. Not all the features were succesfully changed. "

Can you help me how to install the games?

Thanks
Maria

"Andy [YaYa]" wrote:

> "MariaV" <MariaV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsA804AE2-2AFE-4FDC-ACC9-7081B7233869@microsoft.com...
> >

> > "MariaV" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I have the same problem with you. I bought a new notebook which runs
> >> Vista
> >> Business and there are no games. I also tryed the "Turn Windows Features
> >> on"
> >> from Control Panel but nothing installed.

> Once you install the games using add windows features the games should
> appear in your start menu, just search for games or chess or solitare, etc.
>
> The Games Explorer link can be added to your start menu if you right-click
> your start button, choose Properties, then Customize..., and under Games,
> click on "Display as a link" and press OK to get out.
>
> Then when you bring up Start there will be an entry for Games under your
> account name on the right.
>
> -A.
>
> People, it's only solitare, there are tons of freeware games out there
> that'll do the trick to get you over the "mid-day hump".

Katy Pluta

Re: Built-in Vista games will not run
On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 07:21:01 -0700, MariaV
<MariaV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I tryed to install the games using add windows features but an error appears
>"An Error has occured. Not all the features were succesfully changed. "
>
>Can you help me how to install the games?
>
>Thanks
>Maria

Games may not be included in the Business Edition...
Andy [YaYa]

"Katy Pluta" <katypluta@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:199tt3p28n2o53abvaf9f6v5nrv3ce67lt@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 07:21:01 -0700, MariaV
> <MariaV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I tryed to install the games using add windows features but an error appears
>>"An Error has occured. Not all the features were succesfully changed. "
>>
>>Can you help me how to install the games?
>>
>>Thanks
>>Maria

> Games may not be included in the Business Edition...

They are, just have to enable them, which she is doing, but they are failing to install.

Probably a bad Vista installation. If this is a new system you might have to restore the OS.

-A.