Data error

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

LarryM

Data error
I get a G:\Setup Exe
Data error(cyclic redundancy check)
This the error I get when trying to load Neverwinter Nights 2
Any Help
Thanks
LarryM
VRG Scotty

Re: Data error

"LarryM" <LarryM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I get a G:\Setup Exe
> Data error(cyclic redundancy check)
> This the error I get when trying to load Neverwinter Nights 2
> Any Help

Hi Larry, usually when get CRCs from an install from DVD/CD it is either a
grubby disk surface or a damaged disk, try cleaning the disk.
--
VRG Scotty

www.vistareadygames.com
Register, it's free, and use the 'search for solution' tab for any problems

Andy [YaYa]

Re: Data error
"LarryM" <LarryM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I get a G:\Setup Exe
> Data error(cyclic redundancy check)
> This the error I get when trying to load Neverwinter Nights 2
> Any Help
> Thanks
> LarryM

A Cyclic Redundancy Check or CRC Error as we in the know, call them, is what
happens when a computer checks a file, and expects it to spit out a number
based on certain criteria, but instead it spits out a different number. In
other words, the file is corrupted, or has been modified it some way and the
whatever program is checking the file stops and says, "Hey, CRC error, I
checked Setup.Exe, and it's been changed so I'm not going to risk running
it and messing up your system."

If you have already loaded NWN2, try uninstalling the game (backup your
saves first), then re-install the game from the original game DVDs or CDs.

Check your computer for viruses while you're at it.

More than likely it was just a fluke though. Have you run the game at all
before? Some more background information might be produent at this time.

-A.

udders

Re: Data error

i am having the same problem while trying to install that nwn 2. i
believe its from a small scratch on the disc. I opened the disc up in
windows explorer by going onto my computer, right clicking on the nwn2
icon in my drive, and clicked explore. while looking at it there are 7
zipped files, 6 data files, and my while trying to do a manual install i
had the same error while trying to move my data 4 zipped file. i don't
know how to fix it but thats the problem I'm having, and I'm guessing
yours is similar. any help on how to fix it other than buying a new game
and contacting Atari/Bioware (which i already have) would be much
appreciated.

--
udders
udders

Re: Data error

I'm hesitant to use a disk cleaner right now since most game doctors and
such void any replacement warranty on the disc, so i want to wait till i
hear back from atari/bioware about what they can do for me... since I've
heard bioware is pretty lenient on replacing disks. but the slowing the
read speed sounds like good plan...ill try that and tell you how it
works.

--
udders
VRG Scotty

Re: Data error

"udders" <udders.373u43@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I'm hesitant to use a disk cleaner right now since most game doctors and
> such void any replacement warranty on the disc, so i want to wait till i
> hear back from atari/bioware about what they can do for me... since I've
> heard bioware is pretty lenient on replacing disks. but the slowing the
> read speed sounds like good plan...ill try that and tell you how it
> works.

aye no need for all that crap mate..just try and copy the disk to a folder
on your desktop and see if it runs from there
--
VRG Scotty

www.vistareadygames.com
Register, it's free, and use the 'search for solution' tab for any problems

udders

Re: Data error

yea i tried that, i went in through my computer and right clicked the
c.d. and said explore, opening the C.D. so i can see the files.
everything works, until it gets to the file called data 4. when it gets
there it gives me the same message that it gives me when i try to
install using the installer. sadly...it wont work... I'm about to try
and slow my disc read speed and see if that helps, because i know that
once its installed that it will work, the problem being the installing
in the first place... and if all else fails i will just re-buy the game
and take better care of the c.d. ... probably ill just take all the
files and burn them to a disc, and then keep the actual one in box and
out of harm and just use the burn... that doesn't go against the terms
and conditions i agree to with the disc right?...i mean as long as its
for my personal use?

--
udders
VRG Scotty

Re: Data error

"udders" <udders.374gcb@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> yea i tried that, i went in through my computer and right clicked the
> c.d. and said explore, opening the C.D. so i can see the files.
> everything works, until it gets to the file called data 4. when it gets
> there it gives me the same message that it gives me when i try to
> install using the installer. sadly...it wont work... I'm about to try
> and slow my disc read speed and see if that helps, because i know that
> once its installed that it will work, the problem being the installing
> in the first place... and if all else fails i will just re-buy the game
> and take better care of the c.d. ... probably ill just take all the
> files and burn them to a disc, and then keep the actual one in box and
> out of harm and just use the burn... that doesn't go against the terms
> and conditions i agree to with the disc right?...i mean as long as its
> for my personal use?

Yup tis your disk and you are allowed to make a backup, can you take you
disk to a friends house and see if their machine will copy it as disk drives
are picky buggers and another might read it,
--
VRG Scotty

www.vistareadygames.com
Register, it's free, and use the 'search for solution' tab for any problems

SteveM

Re: Data error

VRG Scotty;667782 Wrote:
> "udders" <udders.374gcb@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
> news:udders.374gcb@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net...> > >
> > >
> > > yea i tried that, i went in through my computer and right clicked the
> > > c.d. and said explore, opening the C.D. so i can see the files.
> > > everything works, until it gets to the file called data 4. when it

> > gets
> > > there it gives me the same message that it gives me when i try to
> > > install using the installer. sadly...it wont work... I'm about to try
> > > and slow my disc read speed and see if that helps, because i know

> > that
> > > once its installed that it will work, the problem being the

> > installing
> > > in the first place... and if all else fails i will just re-buy the

> > game
> > > and take better care of the c.d. ... probably ill just take all the
> > > files and burn them to a disc, and then keep the actual one in box

> > and
> > > out of harm and just use the burn... that doesn't go against the

> > terms
> > > and conditions i agree to with the disc right?...i mean as long as

> > its
> > > for my personal use? > >

> Yup tis your disk and you are allowed to make a backup, can you take
> you
> disk to a friends house and see if their machine will copy it as disk
> drives
> are picky buggers and another might read it,
> --
> VRG Scotty
>
> 'Vista Ready Games - Powered by vBulletin'
> (http://www.vistareadygames.com)
> Register, it's free, and use the 'search for solution' tab for any
> problems

Hmmmmmmm...... Were not going to get onto the "copy right" topic are
we now ?
Personal opinion :cry: "If you bought it it is yours to do whith what
ever you decide" Legaly :geek: You are allowed to make a backup copy for
your own use.

Copying disks :

Copyright protection runs into many areas and if you can copy it with
either Nero or if it's a DVD - DVD decripter, but I expect you will not
be able to copy it Either because of copyright protection OR, because of
the read errors.

Conclusion :

YOUR SCREWED.

Clean it OR Buy a new disk.

p.s. when software games came on floppy disks it was so much
easier.

--
SteveM
VRG Scotty

Re: Data error

"SteveM" <SteveM.377ir3@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Hmmmmmmm...... Were not going to get onto the "copy right" topic are
> we now ?
> Personal opinion :cry: "If you bought it it is yours to do whith what
> ever you decide" Legaly :geek: You are allowed to make a backup copy for
> your own use.
>
> Copying disks :
>
> Copyright protection runs into many areas and if you can copy it with
> either Nero or if it's a DVD - DVD decripter, but I expect you will not
> be able to copy it Either because of copyright protection OR, because of
> the read errors.
>
> Conclusion :
>
> YOUR SCREWED.
>
> Clean it OR Buy a new disk.

Did you just make all that up??

Here is a part copy from EA Games

'Yes Mr Scott you can make a copy for your own back up and disk quality
purposes'

so I can back up my games disk, I don't then have to say how I backed it up
or what I used to back it up...see what I mean?