Odd asian characters appear in top left and freezing

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

=VGF=SixSteppa

Odd asian characters appear in top left and freezing

Hello all,

I have a weird bug that has appeared now in 4 games. These games are
BF2142, Crysis, COD 4, and now Frontlines Fuel of war.
Occasionally it seems as if my keyboard has frozen. Then when pressing
a key i see some weird asian characters appear in the top left corner.
These characters seems to show through the graphics yet don't remain on
screen. They dissappear after a moment yet reappear if i am constantly
pressing keys.
The thing is that my keyboard has not frozen. If i press shift i will
crouch (it's my choice for crouching). I can shoot and pan around using
my mouse but not move (wsad). I have to press esc twice before the game
reacts to reach the menu where i must exit the game and restart (the
game not the computer) or else the bug continues. All the while the
action unfolds around me yet i cannot move other than crouch which i've
stated.
I play many other games without problem. This error does not always
occur yet it is frequent enough to be a problem. I play in clan matches
and cannot have this occur during this time.
Has anyone else had this occur? Do any devs have some insight?

My patches and drivers are all up-to-date.

Thank you.

--
=VGF=SixSteppa

Asus P5N32-E SLI
Intel Core 2 6600
2046MB Ram
NVidia GeForce 8800GTX
Creative SB Audigy 2ZS
Micheal Hill

Odd asian characters appear in top left and freezing
I have had exactly the same issue! The only difference is that I cannot use any key - except if i hold control; in which case I can use WASD for movement and SHIFT for sprint - however no jumping or changing of stance, and it causes the keys to ghost.

For a while I thought it was something to do with the language bar, but I am not sure now. After recreating the problem a few times, I was able to see a small black bar, where the characters that would otherwise be sent to the game were. If i typed a W, a W would appear in the box, but not move me forward in game. At the same time, the asian characters would appear below the box. The box looks like a Vista/7 toolbar, and has a green arrow on the right hand side. I have tried catching it in a screenshot a few times, however the bar flickers and is only there for a split second when I press a key - i had to mash the keyboard before I saw it at first. If I press ESC a couple of times to reach the menu, I can use the mouse to left-click the little bar, and drag it around the screen - again, this causes it to flicker.

Currently, I am running Windows 7 64bit Pro. and this is happening on my laptop. Specs are as follow:
ASUS K72Jr;
Intel Core i5 430M (Runs at 2.53GHz under load, due to turbo boost)
ATI HD5470 1GB Mobility Radeon
4GB DDR3 RAM (not sure of speeds or brand, sorry)

The problem has occurred frequently, and rarely resolves itself. Aside from one occurrence, it has always been within a full-screen, DirectX application (so far not in anything using OpenGL).
The odd once when it happened outside of a game, was in xFire chat. same issues, except xFire was running in the standard windows environment. I think this may have also been the first time it happened - may be it was caused by xFire in some way?

I know the last post here was a while ago (March "08, it is now May "10) but if the previous poster can shed any light on how/if they resolved the issue, or if anyone else has any thoughts, I would be grateful.

Thanks!

VGFSixSteppa.35np1 wrote:

Odd asian characters appear in top left and freezing
02-Mar-08

[...]

On Sunday, March 02, 2008 12:33 PM
VGFSixSteppa.35np1 wrote:

[...]

Entity Framework 4.0 POCO-First development and POCO Template
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...k-40-poco.aspx