game crashes playing "The Witcher" in Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

Kaindog

game crashes playing "The Witcher" in Vista
When I play "The Witcher" in Vista it crashes to desktop stating "<program>
has stopped working". i have all the latest drivers for my machine, and it is
as cool as a PC can get, 6 X fans in total for cooling. i have heard of RAM
getting full and not empting before it needs to be used for the next graphics
hit or other bit of data. has anyone else come across the same issue?
--
Gamer extraordiaire
Dave

Re: game crashes playing "The Witcher" in Vista

"Kaindog" <Kaindog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I play "The Witcher" in Vista it crashes to desktop stating
> "<program>
> has stopped working". i have all the latest drivers for my machine, and it
> is
> as cool as a PC can get, 6 X fans in total for cooling. i have heard of
> RAM
> getting full and not empting before it needs to be used for the next
> graphics
> hit or other bit of data. has anyone else come across the same issue?
> --
> Gamer extraordiaire

Yes the game doesn't run well under Vista 32 (there are major issues with
the game and Vista 32 virtual memory address space) there are a few fixes
you can try here.

http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=4965.0

But before you try all those make sure you have the 1.2 patch for the game
and just run it in window mode. after I attempeted all the so called fixes
none of them worked so I just reset my system to all it's defaults and
reinstalled the game and now run in a window (1680 x1050 and graphics
setting maxed) and can play for 2 hours without a crash.

If you can play for an hour or more consider yourself lucky and don't
attempt anymore fixes.

Hopefully the game will come out with another patch to address this issue.

Kaindog

"Dave" wrote:

> "Kaindog" <Kaindog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I play "The Witcher" in Vista it crashes to desktop stating
> > "<program>
> > has stopped working". i have all the latest drivers for my machine, and it
> > is
> > as cool as a PC can get, 6 X fans in total for cooling. i have heard of
> > RAM
> > getting full and not empting before it needs to be used for the next
> > graphics
> > hit or other bit of data. has anyone else come across the same issue?
> > --
> > Gamer extraordiaire

> Yes the game doesn't run well under Vista 32 (there are major issues with
> the game and Vista 32 virtual memory address space) there are a few fixes
> you can try here.
>
> http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=4965.0
>
> But before you try all those make sure you have the 1.2 patch for the game
> and just run it in window mode. after I attempeted all the so called fixes
> none of them worked so I just reset my system to all it's defaults and
> reinstalled the game and now run in a window (1680 x1050 and graphics
> setting maxed) and can play for 2 hours without a crash.
>
> If you can play for an hour or more consider yourself lucky and don't
> attempt anymore fixes.
>
> Hopefully the game will come out with another patch to address this issue.

Hey Dave,

oops...i forgot to mention.......YES i have the latest patch for the game :-)
the longest i have been able to play was for 25 mins....and that was with
every thing reset and with all my background apps closed off :-(

windyvoice

Re: game crashes playing "The Witcher" in Vista

"Kaindog" <Kaindog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I play "The Witcher" in Vista it crashes to desktop stating
> "<program>
> has stopped working". i have all the latest drivers for my machine, and it
> is
> as cool as a PC can get, 6 X fans in total for cooling. i have heard of
> RAM
> getting full and not empting before it needs to be used for the next
> graphics
> hit or other bit of data. has anyone else come across the same issue?
> --
> Gamer extraordiaire

They are releasing an enhanced version of The Witcher in May. See the site
for details. It is supposed to fix these problems.