D3DX9_27.DLL Dreamfall Game DirectX 9 Install Problems

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

Emma

D3DX9_27.DLL Dreamfall Game DirectX 9 Install Problems
I posted this question at another forum as well and attempted to contact the
game creators for help but they've not responded.

I'm new to Vista (Home Premium, 32 bit) and have a few questions, this one
involving a problem running the PC game, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey.

I purchased a download of this game from The Adventure Company website. All
went well with the install until asked if I wanted to install DirectX 9.0. I
chose to knowing that I have DirectX 10 on this system but had the following
error message:

"Unble to execute File:
C:\programflile\?can'treadmyownwriting?\dreamfall\ directx
dxsetup.exe
Create process failed; code 740.
The requested operation requires elevation."

Then, when attempting to run the game, I get a message saying that
D3DX9_27.DLL can't be found. The DX9 folder located in the Dreamfall folder
is empty.

I uninstalled and reinstalled during which I snooped in the DirectX 9 folder
(Dreamfall program files, directx folder) and found the missing .dll file and
copied it to an empty folder in my documents prior to asking it to install
DX9 of which the install again failed (and the DX folder emptied).

I tried pasting the missing .dll into the Dreamfall folder and up came
another error message when trying to run the game.

I read that one could either paste d3dx9_27.dll into the sys32 folder or
download & install DX9 from the Microsoft website but I'm scared to do so in
case either of these solutions screws up DX 10.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank You,

-Emma

Greg R

Re: D3DX9_27.DLL Dreamfall Game DirectX 9 Install Problems
I've had the same issues with games under Vista. To fix it I've gone here:

Download the DirectX End-User runtime and run it. Doing this has fixed this
issue on two different games for me that were giving me the D3DX9_XX.DLL
can't be found error.

"Emma" <Emma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I posted this question at another forum as well and attempted to contact
>the
> game creators for help but they've not responded.
>
> I'm new to Vista (Home Premium, 32 bit) and have a few questions, this one
> involving a problem running the PC game, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey.
>
> I purchased a download of this game from The Adventure Company website.
> All
> went well with the install until asked if I wanted to install DirectX 9.0.
> chose to knowing that I have DirectX 10 on this system but had the
> following
> error message:
>
> "Unble to execute File:
> C:\programflile\?can'treadmyownwriting?\dreamfall\ directx
> dxsetup.exe
> Create process failed; code 740.
> The requested operation requires elevation."
>
> Then, when attempting to run the game, I get a message saying that
> D3DX9_27.DLL can't be found. The DX9 folder located in the Dreamfall
> folder
> is empty.
>
> I uninstalled and reinstalled during which I snooped in the DirectX 9
> folder
> (Dreamfall program files, directx folder) and found the missing .dll file
> and
> copied it to an empty folder in my documents prior to asking it to install
> DX9 of which the install again failed (and the DX folder emptied).
>
> I tried pasting the missing .dll into the Dreamfall folder and up came
> another error message when trying to run the game.
>
> I read that one could either paste d3dx9_27.dll into the sys32 folder or
> download & install DX9 from the Microsoft website but I'm scared to do so
> in
> case either of these solutions screws up DX 10.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Thank You,
>
> -Emma

Andy [YaYa]

Re: D3DX9_27.DLL Dreamfall Game DirectX 9 Install Problems
"Emma" <Emma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I posted this question at another forum as well and attempted to contact
>the
> game creators for help but they've not responded.
>
> I'm new to Vista (Home Premium, 32 bit) and have a few questions, this one
> involving a problem running the PC game, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey.
>
> I purchased a download of this game from The Adventure Company website.
> All
> went well with the install until asked if I wanted to install DirectX 9.0.
> chose to knowing that I have DirectX 10 on this system but had the
> following
> error message:
>
> "Unble to execute File:
> C:\programflile\?can'treadmyownwriting?\dreamfall\ directx
> dxsetup.exe
> Create process failed; code 740.
> The requested operation requires elevation."
>
> Then, when attempting to run the game, I get a message saying that
> D3DX9_27.DLL can't be found. The DX9 folder located in the Dreamfall
> folder
> is empty.
>
> I uninstalled and reinstalled during which I snooped in the DirectX 9
> folder
> (Dreamfall program files, directx folder) and found the missing .dll file
> and
> copied it to an empty folder in my documents prior to asking it to install
> DX9 of which the install again failed (and the DX folder emptied).
>
> I tried pasting the missing .dll into the Dreamfall folder and up came
> another error message when trying to run the game.
>
> I read that one could either paste d3dx9_27.dll into the sys32 folder or
> download & install DX9 from the Microsoft website but I'm scared to do so
> in
> case either of these solutions screws up DX 10.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Thank You,
>
> -Emma

Vista doesn't come with some of the DirectX 9 files, you can get them from
http://www.microsoft.com/directx just follow the links to download the
latest DirectX. You'll get a little file called dxwebsetup.exe, run that on
your system. Once it's finished you can run Dreamfall, and other Dx9 games,
no problems.

Have fun.
-A.

Emma

Re: D3DX9_27.DLL Dreamfall Game DirectX 9 Install Problems
Thank You Greg and Andy! I really appreciate your help

-Emma

> Vista doesn't come with some of the DirectX 9 files, you can get them from
> http://www.microsoft.com/directx just follow the links to download the
> latest DirectX. You'll get a little file called dxwebsetup.exe, run that on
> your system. Once it's finished you can run Dreamfall, and other Dx9 games,
> no problems.
>
> Have fun.
> -A.

Emma

Re: D3DX9_27.DLL Dreamfall Game DirectX 9 Install Problems
I went to the link provided below, downloaded and installed without issue
and...

....The game runs perfectly! DX 10 is unaffected.

Thanks so much guys!

-Emma