Myst Compilation Set

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

phypps

Myst Compilation Set
Decided to replay the whole Myst series, so got the compilation set of parts
1 to 5.
Installing on Vista Ultimate x64 (4Gb memory, Nvidia 8800GTX, etc)

Myst (masterpiece edition) installs OK (just didn't let it install Quicktime
4 or directX 6 !)
Can it really be possible that the original is dated 1993 ? (even this
version is 1999)
Forgot how little of the screen it used (especially in the middle of a 24"
widescreen)
Is there any known way of forcing it to resize ?
Masterpiece Edition ? Still looks like the old Myst to me.
What about RealMyst ? Should I be substituting that for this first part.

Riven:
Won't install.
Presumably its a 16 bit installer (which of course won't run on x64) even
though Riven itself is obviously 32 bit.
Anyone know of a 32 bit installer ?
Otherwise I am stuck with XP 32 on a laptop.
Annoying as this is the one that I really wanted to play
(1) never finished it the first time (2) on a bigger screen

Any suggestions welcome, thanks

Phypps

Andy [YaYa]

Re: Myst Compilation Set
"phypps" <nobody@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Decided to replay the whole Myst series, so got the compilation set of
> parts 1 to 5.

Whoa, I never finished one of em.

> Installing on Vista Ultimate x64 (4Gb memory, Nvidia 8800GTX, etc)

> Myst (masterpiece edition) installs OK (just didn't let it install
> Quicktime 4 or directX 6 !)

Good so far...

> Can it really be possible that the original is dated 1993 ? (even this
> version is 1999)
> Forgot how little of the screen it used (especially in the middle of a 24"
> widescreen)
> Is there any known way of forcing it to resize ?

No, well I searched Google for a few minutes and found nothing. You'd think
someone would write an open source version of the game that runs the video
through a filter so it can be played back full screen, but alas... nothing.

Doesn't help that Vista doesn't like running certain things full screen. If
Myst has a DOS version you might try installing the game in DOSBox.

> Masterpiece Edition ? Still looks like the old Myst to me.

That's why it's a Masterpiece, no need to update the Mona Lisa, right, still
looks great dispite it flawed smile.

> What about RealMyst ? Should I be substituting that for this first part.

No idea

> Riven:
> Won't install.
> Presumably its a 16 bit installer (which of course won't run on x64) even
> though Riven itself is obviously 32 bit.
> Anyone know of a 32 bit installer ?

Found a solution, see below...

> Otherwise I am stuck with XP 32 on a laptop.
> Annoying as this is the one that I really wanted to play
> (1) never finished it the first time (2) on a bigger screen

Here's what I found at
http://www.mystcommunity.com/board/i...howtopic=28764...
So here is the solution to everyone's problems that are attempting to play
Riven under Vista!!!! It requires a little extra work, but not really hard
work, and in my experiences so far, anyone should be able to run this game
flawlessly under Vista!

What you have to do is basically run a Windows 98 virtual machine under
Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, which is a free program located here
(Microsoft.com/virtualpc). This solution will also require a Win98 cd with a
valid key. I had my old one buried in the office/second bedroom.

When MS was creating Vista, they knew there would be incompatibilities,
which for us is a minor inconvenience (relatively speaking), but to a large
corporation with lots of legacy software that hasn't been updated, it is
very necessary for them to have a solution to bridge the gap. Go to the link
above and they explain it better, but here's the gist of what you need to
do. (BTW, Virtual PC can basically run any x86 OS in basically a window, so
if you have Win95, Win98, ME, XP, OS/2... they should all work if you have
something besides Windows 98).

Here's what I did.
1) Downloaded and installed Virtual PC 2007 from Microsoft's website. Free
download.

2) Once that was installed, when you start it, you want to select "New..."
to create a new virtual pc.

3) This starts a Wizard. You are going to create a virtual harddrive and
allocate some RAM to the virtual machine. Keep in mind that you will still
be running Vista at the same time, so don't allocate all your resources. I
had about 15 free GB and I have 2GB of ram, so I allocated 4 GB for the
Win98 virtual drive and gave the system 512mb of RAM. Both of which should
be plenty to run a Win98 virtual pc.

4) After doing this, I popped in my Win98 cd, clicked the enter-key to
initiate a boot from the cd and installed Windows 98 on the virtual pc, just
like I would have if I were installing it to real hardware with all the
basic settings. If you need help installing an O/S, google it.

5) Now that my new virtual pc running Win98 was up and running, I simply
inserted the Riven DVD into my optical drive, and installed Riven and
Quicktime 3.
--clip--
If you read the thread another guy chimes in below with another solution
that runs directly in Vista, so if you don't have a copy of Win9x, there are
other means to the end.

-good luck
-A.

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Myst Compilation Set
Ah yes, it really was that long ago, before Windows 95. I played it on a
486DX PC... on DOS 5 or maybe 6 by then, back in the days of Windows 3.0.
I'm not sure how much RAM it had, maybe 16mb, and a huge 1mb of Video
graphics, VGA of course!!!

If you resize, it's going to look HORRIBLE.

You might want to think about dual booting to a Vista Ultimate 32 bit O/S.
Yes, I know you've spent all that $s on a very fast PC with ultra fast
graphics cards, but game writers still think in 32 bit and converting things
to 64 bit seems a little difficult for them, even though 64 bit CPUs have
been around for a while now (in the affordable price brackets). And I'm
pretty sure they're not being compensated enough to rewrite older games, sad
as it may be to those who love adventuring - and don't want to fight and
kill things.
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"phypps" <nobody@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Decided to replay the whole Myst series, so got the compilation set of
> parts 1 to 5.
> Installing on Vista Ultimate x64 (4Gb memory, Nvidia 8800GTX, etc)
>
> Myst (masterpiece edition) installs OK (just didn't let it install
> Quicktime 4 or directX 6 !)
> Can it really be possible that the original is dated 1993 ? (even this
> version is 1999)
> Forgot how little of the screen it used (especially in the middle of a 24"
> widescreen)
> Is there any known way of forcing it to resize ?
> Masterpiece Edition ? Still looks like the old Myst to me.
> What about RealMyst ? Should I be substituting that for this first part.
>
> Riven:
> Won't install.
> Presumably its a 16 bit installer (which of course won't run on x64) even
> though Riven itself is obviously 32 bit.
> Anyone know of a 32 bit installer ?
> Otherwise I am stuck with XP 32 on a laptop.
> Annoying as this is the one that I really wanted to play
> (1) never finished it the first time (2) on a bigger screen
>
> Any suggestions welcome, thanks
>
> Phypps

phypps

Myst Compilation Set
Finally managed to solve it.

Installed MS Virtual PC 2007 on Vista 64 bit
Installed XP pro SP2 32 bit into Virtual PC
Installed Riven on XP
Ran Riven in Win 98 compatability mode.

Works great.
Must admit I was a bit sceptical about Virtual PC, but it seems quite
polished and does exactly what it says.

Phypps

"Cari (MS-MVP)" <newsgroups@coribright.com> wrote in message
> Ah yes, it really was that long ago, before Windows 95. I played it on a
> 486DX PC... on DOS 5 or maybe 6 by then, back in the days of Windows 3.0.
> I'm not sure how much RAM it had, maybe 16mb, and a huge 1mb of Video
> graphics, VGA of course!!!
>
> If you resize, it's going to look HORRIBLE.
>
> You might want to think about dual booting to a Vista Ultimate 32 bit O/S.
> Yes, I know you've spent all that $s on a very fast PC with ultra fast
> graphics cards, but game writers still think in 32 bit and converting
> things to 64 bit seems a little difficult for them, even though 64 bit
> CPUs have been around for a while now (in the affordable price brackets).
> And I'm pretty sure they're not being compensated enough to rewrite older
> games, sad as it may be to those who love adventuring - and don't want to
> fight and kill things.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
> www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "phypps" <nobody@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Decided to replay the whole Myst series, so got the compilation set of
>> parts 1 to 5.
>> Installing on Vista Ultimate x64 (4Gb memory, Nvidia 8800GTX, etc)
>>
>> Myst (masterpiece edition) installs OK (just didn't let it install
>> Quicktime 4 or directX 6 !)
>> Can it really be possible that the original is dated 1993 ? (even this
>> version is 1999)
>> Forgot how little of the screen it used (especially in the middle of a
>> 24" widescreen)
>> Is there any known way of forcing it to resize ?
>> Masterpiece Edition ? Still looks like the old Myst to me.
>> What about RealMyst ? Should I be substituting that for this first part.
>>
>> Riven:
>> Won't install.
>> Presumably its a 16 bit installer (which of course won't run on x64) even
>> though Riven itself is obviously 32 bit.
>> Anyone know of a 32 bit installer ?
>> Otherwise I am stuck with XP 32 on a laptop.
>> Annoying as this is the one that I really wanted to play
>> (1) never finished it the first time (2) on a bigger screen
>>
>> Any suggestions welcome, thanks
>>
>> Phypps

Andy [YaYa]

Re: Myst Compilation Set
It's actually really amazing if you have a CPU that does "Virtualization
Assist", I think the AMD Phenom does it (their newest Quad Core).

Only downside to VPC is it only emulates a really simple 3D card (Trident
Trio 64, which is a video card that was popular in the 80386 era), but for
games that don't run in 3D, it's a great means to an end, as I like to say.

-A.

"phypps" <nobody@nospam.com> wrote in message
newsYWdnTKFMsJqVlbanZ2dnUVZ8uudnZ2d@bt.com...
> Finally managed to solve it.
>
> Installed MS Virtual PC 2007 on Vista 64 bit
> Installed XP pro SP2 32 bit into Virtual PC
> Installed Riven on XP
> Ran Riven in Win 98 compatability mode.
>
> Works great.
> Must admit I was a bit sceptical about Virtual PC, but it seems quite
> polished and does exactly what it says.
>
> Phypps
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <newsgroups@coribright.com> wrote in message
>> Ah yes, it really was that long ago, before Windows 95. I played it on a
>> 486DX PC... on DOS 5 or maybe 6 by then, back in the days of Windows 3.0.
>> I'm not sure how much RAM it had, maybe 16mb, and a huge 1mb of Video
>> graphics, VGA of course!!!
>>
>> If you resize, it's going to look HORRIBLE.
>>
>> You might want to think about dual booting to a Vista Ultimate 32 bit
>> O/S. Yes, I know you've spent all that $s on a very fast PC with ultra
>> fast graphics cards, but game writers still think in 32 bit and
>> converting things to 64 bit seems a little difficult for them, even
>> though 64 bit CPUs have been around for a while now (in the affordable
>> price brackets). And I'm pretty sure they're not being compensated enough
>> to rewrite older games, sad as it may be to those who love adventuring -
>> and don't want to fight and kill things.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
>> www.coribright.com/windows
>>
>> "phypps" <nobody@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Decided to replay the whole Myst series, so got the compilation set of
>>> parts 1 to 5.
>>> Installing on Vista Ultimate x64 (4Gb memory, Nvidia 8800GTX, etc)
>>>
>>> Myst (masterpiece edition) installs OK (just didn't let it install
>>> Quicktime 4 or directX 6 !)
>>> Can it really be possible that the original is dated 1993 ? (even this
>>> version is 1999)
>>> Forgot how little of the screen it used (especially in the middle of a
>>> 24" widescreen)
>>> Is there any known way of forcing it to resize ?
>>> Masterpiece Edition ? Still looks like the old Myst to me.
>>> What about RealMyst ? Should I be substituting that for this first
>>> part.
>>>
>>> Riven:
>>> Won't install.
>>> Presumably its a 16 bit installer (which of course won't run on x64)
>>> even though Riven itself is obviously 32 bit.
>>> Anyone know of a 32 bit installer ?
>>> Otherwise I am stuck with XP 32 on a laptop.
>>> Annoying as this is the one that I really wanted to play
>>> (1) never finished it the first time (2) on a bigger screen
>>>
>>> Any suggestions welcome, thanks
>>>
>>> Phypps

gwhunter07

Re: Myst Compilation Set

ok so itryed setting up VPC, and unfortunatley the only copy of windows
i have is Win 2000 pro. the game install but decides to crash at
specific spots and the video is choppy, i tried changing the code in the
mohawk file to fEnableAudioProxy=false
this fixes some audio glitches but still crashes, i have spent the last
two days trying to get this thing to work, is there any way to get this
thing to work? please

--
gwhunter07