Direct Draw problems Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

Nigel Robinson is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Direct Draw problems Vista
Hello,
I would like to run Discworld II on my new machine, I rather liked this game. I have selected the compatibility mod. It starts to run normally. But after a short time when an event in the game occurs, the screen freezes and the error message direct draw error is displayed when you minimise the game.
Could someone advise if there is solution to this.
An afterthought, can USB floppy drives be used as A: drives
Best wishes to all.
Nigel.
Andy [YaYa]

Re: Direct Draw problems Vista
"Nigel Robinson" <Nigel.Robinson.35g2oh@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote
in message news:Nigel.Robinson.35g2oh@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> Hello,
> I would like to run Discworld II on my new machine, I rather liked this
> game. I have selected the compatibility mod. It starts to run normally.
> But after a short time when an event in the game occurs, the screen
> freezes and the error message direct draw error is displayed when you
> minimise the game.
> Could someone advise if there is solution to this.
> An afterthought, can USB floppy drives be used as A: drives
> Best wishes to all.
> Nigel.

Simple version: Update Drivers.

Complex version: Well since you didn't tell us what kind of computer you
have, it's hard to say what this problem is. Try updating your video and
audio card drivers and remember you're trying to play an OLD game on a NEW
OS, that while it did try to get perfect backwards compatibility, it still
falls short and requires a bit of hand holding to get stuff working
correctly.

If it's a DOS game, try DOSBox.

Good luck.

Ticaw

Re: Direct Draw problems Vista

Please somebody help me .,I have a serious problem here.I have vista
home premiun on my computer and i have problem with directx. Direct
draw, direct3d and agp textures accelaration are disabled and i can
turn them enabled in dx diagnostic tool. Ca somebody help me?
Sorry for my bad english im not english..

--
Ticaw
Chuck

Re: Direct Draw problems Vista
8 ourt of 10 times, the video drivers are the problem. One out of ten might
be the video card. The remainder is due to something screwing up DX.
Microsoft recently released updates for DX 9c that includes some files and
fixes that fix some Vista problems with games.