The Bard's Tale - the game

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

gwr102558

The Bard's Tale - the game
I am trying to install The Bard's Tale game. The game will not install on the
hard drive. Would like to know what I have to do to get it installed.
VRG Scotty

Re: The Bard's Tale - the game

"gwr102558" <gwr102558@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to install The Bard's Tale game. The game will not install on
>the
> hard drive. Would like to know what I have to do to get it installed.

As posted in the previous post have you tried the usuall stuff IE running
as administrator and using compatibility mode, turning off UAC ?
--
VRG Scotty

www.vistareadygames.com
Register, it's free, and use the 'search for solution' tab for any problems

gwr102558

RE: The Bard's Tale - the game
I installed Windows Media Player Series 9, Directx 9, did the compatibility
for Windows xp and it still will not work.

"gwr102558" wrote:

> I am trying to install The Bard's Tale game. The game will not install on the
> hard drive. Would like to know what I have to do to get it installed.

Andy [YaYa]

>I installed Windows Media Player Series 9, Directx 9, did the compatibility
> for Windows xp and it still will not work.
>
> "gwr102558" wrote:
>
>> I am trying to install The Bard's Tale game. The game will not install on
>> the
>> hard drive. Would like to know what I have to do to get it installed.

Contact the game maker, see if they support Vista or have any
troubleshooting tips?

I assume you're running the new "Bard's Tale" right, and not the old one
from the 80s?

gwr102558

Re: The Bard's Tale - the game
It is the one for 2005.

"Andy [YaYa]" wrote:

> "gwr102558" <gwr102558@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I installed Windows Media Player Series 9, Directx 9, did the compatibility
> > for Windows xp and it still will not work.
> >
> > "gwr102558" wrote:
> >
> >> I am trying to install The Bard's Tale game. The game will not install on
> >> the
> >> hard drive. Would like to know what I have to do to get it installed.

> Contact the game maker, see if they support Vista or have any
> troubleshooting tips?
>
> I assume you're running the new "Bard's Tale" right, and not the old one
> from the 80s?

Andy [YaYa]

Re: The Bard's Tale - the game
Yeah, I checked the Sierra website, they have no patches for the PC version
of The Bard's Tale, and no support information at all.

Exactly what is happening when you try to install? Are you getting any error
messages?

Only think I can suggest is running in Admin mode, and since the game
doesn't seem to have any support for Vista you may not get it working
without a little hacking.

Good luck,
A.

> It is the one for 2005.
>
> "Andy [YaYa]" wrote:
>
>> "gwr102558" <gwr102558@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I installed Windows Media Player Series 9, Directx 9, did the
>> >compatibility
>> > for Windows xp and it still will not work.

>> Contact the game maker, see if they support Vista or have any
>> troubleshooting tips?
>>
>> I assume you're running the new "Bard's Tale" right, and not the old one
>> from the 80s?

gwr102558

Re: The Bard's Tale - the game
It was telling me that I needed to install Windows Media Player Series 9.
Which I did. I put the disc in the cd-rom drive and the install window would
come on. I click on install, the drive would start, but the game would never
load.

"Andy [YaYa]" wrote:

> Yeah, I checked the Sierra website, they have no patches for the PC version
> of The Bard's Tale, and no support information at all.
>
> Exactly what is happening when you try to install? Are you getting any error
> messages?
>
> Only think I can suggest is running in Admin mode, and since the game
> doesn't seem to have any support for Vista you may not get it working
> without a little hacking.
>
> Good luck,
> A.
>
> "gwr102558" <gwr102558@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It is the one for 2005.
> >
> > "Andy [YaYa]" wrote:
> >
> >> "gwr102558" <gwr102558@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Contact the game maker, see if they support Vista or have any
> >> troubleshooting tips?
> >>
> >> I assume you're running the new "Bard's Tale" right, and not the old one
> >> from the 80s?

LoonyLizard

Re: The Bard's Tale - the game

I'm having a similar problem trying to install The Bard's Tale with
Windows 7 Home Premium. I get an error message saying that Media Player
9 or higher is not detected. Trying to run the suggested file,
E;\Install\Media Player\wmfdist.exe, in any compatibility mode does
nothing - the file won't even register as trying to run on Task Manager.
:sarc:

Here's why: Windows Vista and its descendant, Windows 7, automatically
block Media Player 9 , 10, & 11 due to compatibility issues. I know, I
downloaded each version and tried to install them, only to be informed
that they are automatically blocked for that very reason.
:shock: :cry:

So the question reframed is: Does anybody know of a patch that will let
Vista and/or Windows 7 run Media Player 9? If not, does anybody know of
a patch for the -*current *-version of Media Player that will work with
the game? For that matter, does anybody know how to get the
compatibility buttons in Media Player's properties to activate? Editing
permissions has no effect, and the troubleshooter just says that it
can't adjust the settings on this program.

--
LoonyLizard
geekchild

Re: The Bard's Tale - the game

A quick fix for any one running windows 7 (if you don't you should get
it)

Step 1. Insert disk and open My Computer.

Step 2. Right click your DVD drive icon and select open.

Step 3. Locate the setup icon (near the bottom) and right click.

Step 4. Select Troubleshoot compatibility (a window will appear showing
a loading bar ‘Detecting Issues’ allow the window time to finish
detecting the window.

Step 5. From the options listed select 'Try recommended settings'.

Step 6. Click ‘Start the Program’ a notification might appear on the
taskbar, accept the pop-up.

Step 7. Follow the onscreen instructions to install ‘The Bard’s Tale’

The game should now run as normal (it did for me)
:geek::geek:

--
geekchild
LoonyLizard

Re: The Bard's Tale - the game

geekchild;1244058 Wrote:
> A quick fix for any one running windows 7 (if you don't you should get
> it)
>
> Step 1. Insert disk and open My Computer.
>
> Step 2. Right click your DVD drive icon and select open.
>
> Step 3. Locate the setup icon (near the bottom) and right click.
>
> Step 4. Select Troubleshoot compatibility (a window will appear showing
> a loading bar ‘Detecting Issues’ allow the window time to finish
> detecting the window.
>
> Step 5. From the options listed select 'Try recommended settings'.
>
> Step 6. Click ‘Start the Program’ a notification might appear on the
> taskbar, accept the pop-up.
>
> Step 7. Follow the onscreen instructions to install ‘The Bard’s Tale’
>
> The game should now run as normal (it did for me)
> :geek::geek:

Unfortunately, these steps do not work for versions of the game released
when XP was the most current version of the O/S. Those versions need
*Windows Media format 9, 10, or 11* to run, and Windows 7 actively
*BLOCKS *the installation of all those versions of Media Player. The
best solution I found was to join 'Steam'
(http://store.steampowered.com/) and pay $10 to buy their version of the
game. I've done it, played it, and the game works great. Am I crazy
about paying more money to play a game I already own? No, but if you
like the game enough, it's worth it in the end.

--
LoonyLizard