general gaming problems

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

timhinchliff

general gaming problems
I have just bought a new system, an intel core 2 extreme 3 GHz, an nvidia
GeForce 8800 Ultra and 4 gig of RAM and am running windows vista ultimate
32bit. I have problems with all games inlcuding Medieval 2, company of
heroes, and Call of duty 4 which has been released since Vista came on the
scene. The games all freeze (at various times in the game) for awhile then
the screen goes black, then it flicks back on again for about 5 seconds and
then repeats the process again. Sometimes in the quick launch panel I get the
message that the driver had an error but has recovered. Othertimes the system
completely crashes and I get a blue screen saying IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.
Looking around it seems the 4 gig of RAM is maybe the problem? The
frustrating thing is that I found a fix KB929777 but when I download it my
system says it does not need the fix. This is really frustrating and I really
don't want to be removing the RAM all the time as besides the fact that that
is pretty pathetic with such an expensive system, I need the RAM for my CAD
software. I have downlaoded everything I can find both from Microsoft and
Nvidia including all the hotfixes and up to date drivers. Please someone tell
me there is a fix or solution!!
Thanks
VRG Scotty

Re: general gaming problems

"timhinchliff" <timhinchliff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just bought a new system, an intel core 2 extreme 3 GHz, an nvidia
> GeForce 8800 Ultra and 4 gig of RAM and am running windows vista ultimate
> 32bit. I have problems with all games inlcuding Medieval 2, company of
> heroes, and Call of duty 4 which has been released since Vista came on the
> scene. The games all freeze (at various times in the game) for awhile then
> the screen goes black, then it flicks back on again for about 5 seconds
> and
> then repeats the process again. Sometimes in the quick launch panel I get
> the
> message that the driver had an error but has recovered. Othertimes the
> system
> completely crashes and I get a blue screen saying IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.
> Looking around it seems the 4 gig of RAM is maybe the problem? The
> frustrating thing is that I found a fix KB929777 but when I download it my
> system says it does not need the fix. This is really frustrating and I
> really
> don't want to be removing the RAM all the time as besides the fact that
> that
> is pretty pathetic with such an expensive system, I need the RAM for my
> CAD
> software. I have downlaoded everything I can find both from Microsoft and
> Nvidia including all the hotfixes and up to date drivers. Please someone
> tell
> me there is a fix or solution!!
> Thanks

Try updating all the system and graphics drivers, although it does sound
like a RAM problem of some kind, if all else fails then I would take out a
stick just so see if it is the RAM, and if so then take the system back and
ask for a replacement
--
VRG Scotty

www.vistareadygames.com
Register, it's free, and use the 'search for solution' tab for any problems

Devoldo

Re: general gaming problems

"timhinchliff" <timhinchliff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just bought a new system, an intel core 2 extreme 3 GHz, an nvidia
> GeForce 8800 Ultra and 4 gig of RAM and am running windows vista ultimate
> 32bit. I have problems with all games inlcuding Medieval 2, company of
> heroes, and Call of duty 4 which has been released since Vista came on the
> scene. The games all freeze (at various times in the game) for awhile then
> the screen goes black, then it flicks back on again for about 5 seconds
> and
> then repeats the process again. Sometimes in the quick launch panel I get
> the
> message that the driver had an error but has recovered. Othertimes the
> system
> completely crashes and I get a blue screen saying IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.
> Looking around it seems the 4 gig of RAM is maybe the problem? The
> frustrating thing is that I found a fix KB929777 but when I download it my
> system says it does not need the fix. This is really frustrating and I
> really
> don't want to be removing the RAM all the time as besides the fact that
> that
> is pretty pathetic with such an expensive system, I need the RAM for my
> CAD
> software. I have downlaoded everything I can find both from Microsoft and
> Nvidia including all the hotfixes and up to date drivers. Please someone
> tell
> me there is a fix or solution!!
> Thanks

I've seen that problem multiple times. Its nothing more than your graphics
driver. update them from nvidia's website, install and enjoy. If the problem
still persists, try using their beta drivers on their website and see if
anything changes.

Drivers are what is killing vista popularity...

Devo

Greg R

Re: general gaming problems
I use to get that same error when playing games. Turned out it was my sound
card drivers. What sound card are you using? I ended up having to take out
my SB X-Fi and use the onboard sound. Even updating the SB X-Fi drivers to
the newest wouldn't fix the problem. Channing to the onboard sound did.

"timhinchliff" <timhinchliff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just bought a new system, an intel core 2 extreme 3 GHz, an nvidia
> GeForce 8800 Ultra and 4 gig of RAM and am running windows vista ultimate
> 32bit. I have problems with all games inlcuding Medieval 2, company of
> heroes, and Call of duty 4 which has been released since Vista came on the
> scene. The games all freeze (at various times in the game) for awhile then
> the screen goes black, then it flicks back on again for about 5 seconds
> and
> then repeats the process again. Sometimes in the quick launch panel I get
> the
> message that the driver had an error but has recovered. Othertimes the
> system
> completely crashes and I get a blue screen saying IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.
> Looking around it seems the 4 gig of RAM is maybe the problem? The
> frustrating thing is that I found a fix KB929777 but when I download it my
> system says it does not need the fix. This is really frustrating and I
> really
> don't want to be removing the RAM all the time as besides the fact that
> that
> is pretty pathetic with such an expensive system, I need the RAM for my
> CAD
> software. I have downlaoded everything I can find both from Microsoft and
> Nvidia including all the hotfixes and up to date drivers. Please someone
> tell
> me there is a fix or solution!!
> Thanks

Dashkatt

Re: general gaming problems

Don't forget to completely remove the old Nvidia drivers prior to
installing the new ones. This is critical to getting a clean install.

--
Dashkatt
timhinchliff

Re: general gaming problems

"VRG Scotty" wrote:

> [...]

> I have since removed the RAM and the system works fine with only 2 gigs. However I have moved the sticks around and there appears to be no problem with individual RAM sticks. I don't really see how this can be a problem with the system, it seems very much that this is a problem with Vista, given that my system came with a print out referring to the problem and giving the number of the windows update that was supposed to fix it. It works fine with 2 gigs, but is actually less stable with 3 gigs then with 4. I have also replaced all the drivers and it still gives the same problem. What is also strange is when Vista starts it gives and there are 2 gigs in the start centre says my computer has 2 gigs of RAM. Same if I have three in Vista says there is 3 gigs. However when I have four in Vista says there is onlz 3.6 gigs. To me this seems to confirm that Vista can not mangage the RAM properly. I should note this does not only occur with games but when Vista is running nothing on the

desktop.
So I suppose that makes me ask whether you are saying that the memory
management problem that was present in Vista before, has now been
definitively fixed and that this can only be a hardware problem?
RalfG

Re: general gaming problems
Unless you have a 64bit version of Vista it can only ever reach 3.6gigs or
thereabouts because the remainder is assigned to hardware addressing. It's
not a problem with Vista it's a limitation of 32bit OS addressing.

Just wondering if an adequate power supply was installed to support the GF
8800 video card plus the extra RAM? I have a much less power hungry ATI
card that usually runs flawlessly. It's supposed to be compatible with UT3
but whether I run the game (demo version) under either Vista or XP the card
behaves in just the same way as you described. After running a few minutes
the video blanks and the card/driver is reset. After that the resets happen
more frequently and seemingly at random. If the problem were in the OS
you'd expect almost everyone to have the same issue. In my case with dual
booting the OS can be ruled out since the problem occurs under either OS.
That leaves some combination of the installed software (including drivers)
or hardware as the potential culprits.

"RalfG" wrote:

> Unless you have a 64bit version of Vista it can only ever reach 3.6gigs or
> thereabouts because the remainder is assigned to hardware addressing. It's
> not a problem with Vista it's a limitation of 32bit OS addressing.
>
> Just wondering if an adequate power supply was installed to support the GF
> 8800 video card plus the extra RAM? I have a much less power hungry ATI
> card that usually runs flawlessly. It's supposed to be compatible with UT3
> but whether I run the game (demo version) under either Vista or XP the card
> behaves in just the same way as you described. After running a few minutes
> the video blanks and the card/driver is reset. After that the resets happen
> more frequently and seemingly at random. If the problem were in the OS
> you'd expect almost everyone to have the same issue. In my case with dual
> booting the OS can be ruled out since the problem occurs under either OS.
> That leaves some combination of the installed software (including drivers)
> or hardware as the potential culprits.
>

> "timhinchliff" <timhinchliff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> > "VRG Scotty" wrote:
> >

> >> "timhinchliff" <timhinchliff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Try updating all the system and graphics drivers, although it does sound
> >> like a RAM problem of some kind, if all else fails then I would take out
> >> stick just so see if it is the RAM, and if so then take the system back
> >> and
> >> ask for a replacement
> >> --
> >> VRG Scotty
> >>
> >> www.vistareadygames.com
> >> Register, it's free, and use the 'search for solution' tab for any
> >> problems
> >>
> >> I have since removed the RAM and the system works fine with only 2 gigs.
> >> However I have moved the sticks around and there appears to be no problem
> >> with individual RAM sticks. I don't really see how this can be a problem
> >> with the system, it seems very much that this is a problem with Vista,
> >> given that my system came with a print out referring to the problem and
> >> giving the number of the windows update that was supposed to fix it. It
> >> works fine with 2 gigs, but is actually less stable with 3 gigs then with
> >> 4. I have also replaced all the drivers and it still gives the same
> >> problem. What is also strange is when Vista starts it gives and there are
> >> 2 gigs in the start centre says my computer has 2 gigs of RAM. Same if I
> >> have three in Vista says there is 3 gigs. However when I have four in
> >> Vista says there is onlz 3.6 gigs. To me this seems to confirm that Vista
> >> can not mangage the RAM properly. I should note this does not only occur
> >> with games but when Vista is running nothing on the

> > desktop.
> > So I suppose that makes me ask whether you are saying that the memory
> > management problem that was present in Vista before, has now been
> > definitively fixed and that this can only be a hardware problem?

Ok so much help thanks!! I will try and clean out my nvidia drivers first
and get some new ones and see how that goes. Thanks so much for your help,
one more question is it worth upgrading to Vista 64 bit then will it make
better use of my 4 gigs?
timhinchliff

Re: general gaming problems

> "RalfG" wrote:
>
>> Unless you have a 64bit version of Vista it can only ever reach 3.6gigs
>> or
>> thereabouts because the remainder is assigned to hardware addressing.
>> It's
>> not a problem with Vista it's a limitation of 32bit OS addressing.
>>
>> Just wondering if an adequate power supply was installed to support the
>> GF
>> 8800 video card plus the extra RAM? I have a much less power hungry ATI
>> card that usually runs flawlessly. It's supposed to be compatible with
>> UT3
>> but whether I run the game (demo version) under either Vista or XP the
>> card
>> behaves in just the same way as you described. After running a few
>> minutes
>> the video blanks and the card/driver is reset. After that the resets
>> happen
>> more frequently and seemingly at random. If the problem were in the OS
>> you'd expect almost everyone to have the same issue. In my case with dual
>> booting the OS can be ruled out since the problem occurs under either OS.
>> That leaves some combination of the installed software (including
>> drivers)
>> or hardware as the potential culprits.
>>

>> "timhinchliff" <timhinchliff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> > desktop.
>> > So I suppose that makes me ask whether you are saying that the memory
>> > management problem that was present in Vista before, has now been
>> > definitively fixed and that this can only be a hardware problem?

> Ok so much help thanks!! I will try and clean out my nvidia drivers first
> and get some new ones and see how that goes. Thanks so much for your help,
> one more question is it worth upgrading to Vista 64 bit then will it make
> better use of my 4 gigs?

Could be more trouble than it is worth. That small amount of unused memory
isn't going to make any difference one way or the other in most of your
applications. A few people have said that they don't detect any noticeable
performance increase after 2GB, but you might have applications that could
benefit from more RAM. To install 64bit Vista your processor and motherboard
need to be 64bit in the first place. Then you'll need 64bit compatible
drivers for all the other hardware. Some of your software might not be
compatible with the 64bit OS. Software written for 64bits will give better
performance over its 32bit counterpart, but AFAIK nothing else will run any
faster.