Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Oblivion Won't Run

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-17-2008
culliot
 

Posts: n/a
Oblivion Won't Run
I loaded Oblivion The Elder Scrolls IV Game of the Year Edition on Windows
Vista but it will not run. The game's main menu comes up when the disc is
inserted but when I click play a small blank window opens with Oblivion as
the title and another information box opens stating that Oblivion has stopped
working.

I am running Windows Vista Home Basic Version 6.0.

Any ideas?
--
culliot
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-18-2008
Brian
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Oblivion Won't Run
List Hardware Spec: Do you have the latest video and sound drivers downloaded
from the manufacturers website. Are you trying to run oblivion in 32 bit
compatibility mode? Are you " running as administrator". Are you running
Oblivion from the games folder in windows?

"culliot" wrote:

> I loaded Oblivion The Elder Scrolls IV Game of the Year Edition on Windows
> Vista but it will not run. The game's main menu comes up when the disc is
> inserted but when I click play a small blank window opens with Oblivion as
> the title and another information box opens stating that Oblivion has stopped
> working.
>
> I am running Windows Vista Home Basic Version 6.0.
>
> Any ideas?
> --
> culliot

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-19-2008
culliot
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Oblivion Won't Run
I'm not sure where to look to get the hardware specs. I have not loaded
anything on the computer except an HP printer. We purchased the PC in May of
2007. I'm not sure how to change the compatibility mode or even see which
mode I'm running in. As far as I know I am running as the administrator as I
loaded the game as the "Home" user and I was able to change security settings
with no problems. The specs below are copied directly from the System and
Maintence option in the Control Panel but I'm not sure if they are exactly
what you wanted to see.

Model: Aspire 3690
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) M CPU 520 @ 1.60GHZ
Memory (RAM): 1014 MB
System type: 32-bit Operating System

The game does the same thing if I run from the games window or if I just put
the disc in and click play from the main menu.

Sorry - I can find things no problem if you wouldn't mind telling me where
to look but I'm extremely new to the gaming world.
--
culliot


"Brian" wrote:

> List Hardware Spec: Do you have the latest video and sound drivers downloaded
> from the manufacturers website. Are you trying to run oblivion in 32 bit
> compatibility mode? Are you " running as administrator". Are you running
> Oblivion from the games folder in windows?
>
> "culliot" wrote:
>
> > I loaded Oblivion The Elder Scrolls IV Game of the Year Edition on Windows
> > Vista but it will not run. The game's main menu comes up when the disc is
> > inserted but when I click play a small blank window opens with Oblivion as
> > the title and another information box opens stating that Oblivion has stopped
> > working.
> >
> > I am running Windows Vista Home Basic Version 6.0.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> > --
> > culliot

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-19-2008
Andy [YaYa]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Oblivion Won't Run
Oblivion runs fine without admin access, and I've never heard of 32-bit
compatibility mode, either the program is 32-bit, or it's 64-bit, don't
think there's really a way to make a 64-bit program compatible in a 32-bit
enviornment.

I will agree that you should respond to this post and list your hardware
specifications (make and model of your computer). It's possible your video
card isn't robust enough for the game, or you need to update your video card
drivers.

-A

"Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A87D1516-53EC-46BC-AB9A-D43639210B4F@microsoft.com...
> List Hardware Spec: Do you have the latest video and sound drivers
> downloaded
> from the manufacturers website. Are you trying to run oblivion in 32 bit
> compatibility mode? Are you " running as administrator". Are you running
> Oblivion from the games folder in windows?
>
> "culliot" wrote:
>
>> I loaded Oblivion The Elder Scrolls IV Game of the Year Edition on
>> Windows
>> Vista but it will not run. The game's main menu comes up when the disc is
>> inserted but when I click play a small blank window opens with Oblivion
>> as
>> the title and another information box opens stating that Oblivion has
>> stopped
>> working.
>>
>> I am running Windows Vista Home Basic Version 6.0.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>> --
>> culliot


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-19-2008
Andy [YaYa]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Oblivion Won't Run
3690 is the Acer "Series" the model is usually something like "AS3690-2009",
if you look at the bottom of your computer you should find this information,
but judging from the fact that you have a Celeron M CPU, only 1 Gig of RAM
and are running in Windows Vista Basic, I'd guess that your Video card is
probably not powerful enough to handle this game.

If you want to get this game going, you probably can, but we still need to
make sure you video card drivers are up to date.

Try this:
Click your Start Menu button
Find Computer on the right and RIGHT-CLICK on this line.
a pop-up menu will appear, select "Properties" from this menu.
From the new window the comes up Click Device Manager on the left side and
accept the UAC security check.
From the new window, click on the Plus signs next to "Display Adapaters" and
"Sound, video and game controllers"

The info that appears under these lines are you video card and your sound
card driver names.

Respond with that info.

If your Video card says the following, you can find drivers at the websites
indicated:
Intel - http://www.intel.com
nVidia - http://www.nvidia.com
ATi - http://ati.amd.com

As I said earlier, your system more than likely is NOT designed for gaming,
espically something as complex as graphically robust as Oblivion. At the
very LEAST you should upgrade your system to 2 Gigs of RAM if you want to
even attempt to play this game. Ideally you want to sell this notebook and
buy a gaming desktop.

"culliot" <culliot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5902B957-9F8E-4253-AEDC-80F3F1E6EDDE@microsoft.com...
> I'm not sure where to look to get the hardware specs. I have not loaded
> anything on the computer except an HP printer. We purchased the PC in May
> of
> 2007. I'm not sure how to change the compatibility mode or even see which
> mode I'm running in. As far as I know I am running as the administrator as
> I
> loaded the game as the "Home" user and I was able to change security
> settings
> with no problems. The specs below are copied directly from the System and
> Maintence option in the Control Panel but I'm not sure if they are exactly
> what you wanted to see.
>
> Model: Aspire 3690
> Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) M CPU 520 @ 1.60GHZ
> Memory (RAM): 1014 MB
> System type: 32-bit Operating System
>
> The game does the same thing if I run from the games window or if I just
> put
> the disc in and click play from the main menu.
>
> Sorry - I can find things no problem if you wouldn't mind telling me where
> to look but I'm extremely new to the gaming world.
> --
> culliot
>
>
> "Brian" wrote:
>
>> List Hardware Spec: Do you have the latest video and sound drivers
>> downloaded
>> from the manufacturers website. Are you trying to run oblivion in 32 bit
>> compatibility mode? Are you " running as administrator". Are you
>> running
>> Oblivion from the games folder in windows?
>>
>> "culliot" wrote:
>>
>> > I loaded Oblivion The Elder Scrolls IV Game of the Year Edition on
>> > Windows
>> > Vista but it will not run. The game's main menu comes up when the disc
>> > is
>> > inserted but when I click play a small blank window opens with Oblivion
>> > as
>> > the title and another information box opens stating that Oblivion has
>> > stopped
>> > working.
>> >
>> > I am running Windows Vista Home Basic Version 6.0.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>> > --
>> > culliot


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2008
culliot
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Oblivion Won't Run
Ok -
All I see for a model is BL50 but it does have AS3690-2846 in another spot
on the bottom of the laptop.

Display Adapter: Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family
Sound, video: Realtek High Definition Audio

I'll go to the Intel and Realtek websites and see what I can find out about
upgrading.

Thanks for all your help. I didn't realize you needed a more advanced
computer for running high-end games.
--
culliot


"Andy [YaYa]" wrote:

> Oblivion runs fine without admin access, and I've never heard of 32-bit
> compatibility mode, either the program is 32-bit, or it's 64-bit, don't
> think there's really a way to make a 64-bit program compatible in a 32-bit
> enviornment.
>
> I will agree that you should respond to this post and list your hardware
> specifications (make and model of your computer). It's possible your video
> card isn't robust enough for the game, or you need to update your video card
> drivers.
>
> -A
>
> "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:A87D1516-53EC-46BC-AB9A-D43639210B4F@microsoft.com...
> > List Hardware Spec: Do you have the latest video and sound drivers
> > downloaded
> > from the manufacturers website. Are you trying to run oblivion in 32 bit
> > compatibility mode? Are you " running as administrator". Are you running
> > Oblivion from the games folder in windows?
> >
> > "culliot" wrote:
> >
> >> I loaded Oblivion The Elder Scrolls IV Game of the Year Edition on
> >> Windows
> >> Vista but it will not run. The game's main menu comes up when the disc is
> >> inserted but when I click play a small blank window opens with Oblivion
> >> as
> >> the title and another information box opens stating that Oblivion has
> >> stopped
> >> working.
> >>
> >> I am running Windows Vista Home Basic Version 6.0.
> >>
> >> Any ideas?
> >> --
> >> culliot

>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2011
RonRay's Avatar  

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1
RonRay is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Oblivion Won't Run
It's strange that we have to upgrade computers that were built 3 years ago to play a game that was written over 6 years ago!

(I'm having the same problem as culliot, with almost the same OS and hardware. I downloaded the video drivers from Intel, but haven't yet installed it or re-tried the game yet. I would bet an X-box 360 that it won't work!)



Quote:
Originally Posted by culliot View Post
Ok -

I'll go to the Intel and Realtek websites and see what I can find out about
upgrading.

Thanks for all your help. I didn't realize you needed a more advanced
computer for running high-end games.
--
culliot



> I will agree that you should respond to this post and list your hardware
> specifications (make and model of your computer). It's possible your video
> card isn't robust enough for the game, or you need to update your video card
> drivers.
>
> -A
>
> "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:A87D1516-53EC-46BC-AB9A-D43639210B4F@microsoft.com...
__________________
Hardware: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-30-2011
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3
aion12 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Oblivion Won't Run
I just started to play the game,The future Exchange
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OBLIVION AND MICROSOFT VISTA =?Utf-8?B?TGlzYWNhcmJz?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.games 6 10-11-2009 16:03
oblivion in vista kronos microsoft.public.windows.vista.games 11 02-10-2009 17:22
OBLIVION Locolions microsoft.public.windows.vista.games 12 08-05-2008 09:09
Oblivion is jerky on Vista Craig Grell microsoft.public.windows.vista.games 38 12-29-2007 21:19
Oblivion Question Maureen microsoft.public.windows.vista.games 13 11-16-2007 20:38




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:37.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120