Dungeon Keeper incompatible with Vista?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

DarkMisstress

Dungeon Keeper incompatible with Vista?
I am at the end of my tether!

I go to install Dungeon Keeper or Dungeon Keeper Gold on my new Vista PC and
it gets to the title screen with Horny and then closes into a blackbox at the
top left of my screen, minimizes then closes.

I am not the only one who cannot get it running on Vista either as you can
see there are among hundreds of people with this problem:

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopi...aa2d 5711e8f2

http://www.compatdb.org/ubbthreads.p.../178301/page/1

http://z9.invisionfree.com/Keeper_Kl...showtopic=1350

http://z9.invisionfree.com/Keeper_Kl...showtopic=1092

Is there any patch to get it running on vista? Changing the compatibility
options don't work either!

Will Microsoft actually do anything for this?

Please let me know. Regards.
VRG Scotty

Re: Dungeon Keeper incompatible with Vista?

"DarkMisstress" <DarkMisstress@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am at the end of my tether!
>
> I go to install Dungeon Keeper or Dungeon Keeper Gold on my new Vista PC
> and
> it gets to the title screen with Horny and then closes into a blackbox at
> the
> top left of my screen, minimizes then closes.
>
> I am not the only one who cannot get it running on Vista either as you can
> see there are among hundreds of people with this problem:
>
> http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopi...aa2d 5711e8f2
>
> http://www.compatdb.org/ubbthreads.p.../178301/page/1
>
> http://z9.invisionfree.com/Keeper_Kl...showtopic=1350
>
> http://z9.invisionfree.com/Keeper_Kl...showtopic=1092
>

> Is there any patch to get it running on vista? Changing the compatibility
> options don't work either!
>
> Will Microsoft actually do anything for this?

It has nothing to do with M$ it is upto the game makers to supply a patch..
But I have Gold running on my Vista machine. Installed as administrator,
didn't have to do anything else.
--
VRG Scotty

www.vistareadygames.com
Register, it's free, and use the 'search for solution' tab for any problems

"VRG Scotty" <vrg-scotty@vistareadygames.com> wrote in message

> It has nothing to do with M$ it is upto the game makers to supply a
> patch.. But I have Gold running on my Vista machine. Installed as
> administrator, didn't have to do anything else.

Found this on VRG
Hi there. Believe it or not, I just finished the entire game again
(for the nth time), but this time on Vista! I was having the exact
same issues as you, crashing, freezing... then I went into the Windows
DEP (Window key+pause - Advanced System Settings - Performace tab,
Settings - Data Execution Prevention tab - Add) then add the
Keeper95.exe to the list. Then go into the program file Keeper95.exe,
right click it and choose compatibility - Windows XP SP2. Now after
all this, if I run the game from the shortcut it won't work! You have
to go into the program files\bullfrog\keeper\ and run the game by
directly clicking on keeper95.exe. Weird, but worked every time!

"VRG Scotty" wrote:

> "DarkMisstress" <DarkMisstress@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am at the end of my tether!
> >
> > I go to install Dungeon Keeper or Dungeon Keeper Gold on my new Vista PC
> > and
> > it gets to the title screen with Horny and then closes into a blackbox at
> > the
> > top left of my screen, minimizes then closes.
> >
> > I am not the only one who cannot get it running on Vista either as you can
> > see there are among hundreds of people with this problem:
> >
> > http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopi...aa2d 5711e8f2
> >
> > http://www.compatdb.org/ubbthreads.p.../178301/page/1
> >
> > http://z9.invisionfree.com/Keeper_Kl...showtopic=1350
> >
> > http://z9.invisionfree.com/Keeper_Kl...showtopic=1092
> >

> > Is there any patch to get it running on vista? Changing the compatibility
> > options don't work either!
> >
> > Will Microsoft actually do anything for this?

> It has nothing to do with M$ it is upto the game makers to supply a patch..
> But I have Gold running on my Vista machine. Installed as administrator,
> didn't have to do anything else.
> --
> VRG Scotty
>
> www.vistareadygames.com
> Register, it's free, and use the 'search for solution' tab for any problems

Fair enough, but surely MS can alter the compatibility list, seeing as they
are the ones who decided to bring out new software.

I've just tried running it as an administrator, but it still doesnt work.
Does the exact same thing. Any other solutions? Thanks.
DarkMisstress

Re: Dungeon Keeper incompatible with Vista?
That doesn't work either I'm afraid.

Managed to find any other potential solutions? Thanks.

"DarkMisstress" wrote:

> "VRG Scotty" wrote:
>

> > "DarkMisstress" <DarkMisstress@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I am at the end of my tether!
> > >
> > > I go to install Dungeon Keeper or Dungeon Keeper Gold on my new Vista PC
> > > and
> > > it gets to the title screen with Horny and then closes into a blackbox at
> > > the
> > > top left of my screen, minimizes then closes.
> > >
> > > I am not the only one who cannot get it running on Vista either as you can
> > > see there are among hundreds of people with this problem:
> > >
> > > http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopi...aa2d 5711e8f2
> > >
> > > http://www.compatdb.org/ubbthreads.p.../178301/page/1
> > >
> > > http://z9.invisionfree.com/Keeper_Kl...showtopic=1350
> > >
> > > http://z9.invisionfree.com/Keeper_Kl...showtopic=1092
> > >

> > > Is there any patch to get it running on vista? Changing the compatibility
> > > options don't work either!
> > >
> > > Will Microsoft actually do anything for this?

> > It has nothing to do with M$ it is upto the game makers to supply a patch..
> > But I have Gold running on my Vista machine. Installed as administrator,
> > didn't have to do anything else.
> > --
> > VRG Scotty
> >
> > www.vistareadygames.com
> > Register, it's free, and use the 'search for solution' tab for any problems
> >

> Fair enough, but surely MS can alter the compatibility list, seeing as they
> are the ones who decided to bring out new software.
>
> I've just tried running it as an administrator, but it still doesnt work.
> Does the exact same thing. Any other solutions? Thanks.

Greg R

Re: Dungeon Keeper incompatible with Vista?
When you do find a way to get it to work please post here what it is you do
to get it working! It's one of my all time favorite games and I'd hate to
not be able to play it anymore. Getting a new gaming notebook next week and
it is loaded with Vista Ultimate 64. I'm hope VRG Scotty's solution works
for me if I run into problems, but I'm counting on DarkMisstress if it
doesn't! Of course I'll post anything I find too.

Best of luck to you!

> That doesn't work either I'm afraid.
>
> Managed to find any other potential solutions? Thanks.
>
> "DarkMisstress" wrote:
>

>> "VRG Scotty" wrote:
>>

>> > "DarkMisstress" <DarkMisstress@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> > message

>> > It has nothing to do with M$ it is upto the game makers to supply a
>> > patch..
>> > But I have Gold running on my Vista machine. Installed as
>> > administrator,
>> > didn't have to do anything else.
>> > --
>> > VRG Scotty
>> >
>> > www.vistareadygames.com
>> > Register, it's free, and use the 'search for solution' tab for any
>> > problems
>> >

>> Fair enough, but surely MS can alter the compatibility list, seeing as
>> they
>> are the ones who decided to bring out new software.
>>
>> I've just tried running it as an administrator, but it still doesnt work.
>> Does the exact same thing. Any other solutions? Thanks.

Andy [YaYa]

Re: Dungeon Keeper incompatible with Vista?
"DarkMisstress" <DarkMisstress@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am at the end of my tether!
>
> I go to install Dungeon Keeper or Dungeon Keeper Gold on my new Vista PC
> and
> it gets to the title screen with Horny and then closes into a blackbox at
> the
> top left of my screen, minimizes then closes.
>
> I am not the only one who cannot get it running on Vista either as you can
> see there are among hundreds of people with this problem:
>
> http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopi...aa2d 5711e8f2
>
> http://www.compatdb.org/ubbthreads.p.../178301/page/1
>
> http://z9.invisionfree.com/Keeper_Kl...showtopic=1350
>
> http://z9.invisionfree.com/Keeper_Kl...showtopic=1092
>

> Is there any patch to get it running on vista? Changing the compatibility
> options don't work either!
>
> Will Microsoft actually do anything for this?
>
> Please let me know. Regards.

Wow, 100 people still play Dungeon Keeper? Don't get me wrong, Dungeon
Keeper is the "bee's-knees", but really, 100?

I got it running, forget how, but I believe I used DOSBox and that worked,
and I also ran it in Vista using a lot of compatibility tweaks. I can't for
the life of me remember how.

FYI, good for you keeping the spirit of Bullfrog alive. John Riccitello from
EA just stated that destroying Bullfrog was one of EA's "Biggest Mistakes".

-A.

Andy [YaYa]

> "VRG Scotty" <vrg-scotty@vistareadygames.com> wrote in message
>
>> It has nothing to do with M$ it is upto the game makers to supply a
>> patch.. But I have Gold running on my Vista machine. Installed as
>> administrator, didn't have to do anything else.

> Found this on VRG
> Hi there. Believe it or not, I just finished the entire game again
> (for the nth time), but this time on Vista! I was having the exact
> same issues as you, crashing, freezing... then I went into the Windows
> DEP (Window key+pause - Advanced System Settings - Performace tab,
> Settings - Data Execution Prevention tab - Add) then add the
> Keeper95.exe to the list. Then go into the program file Keeper95.exe,
> right click it and choose compatibility - Windows XP SP2. Now after
> all this, if I run the game from the shortcut it won't work! You have
> to go into the program files\bullfrog\keeper\ and run the game by
> directly clicking on keeper95.exe. Weird, but worked every time!

I tried that, didn't help me, I did something else to get the game working,
but won't know til I get home tonight. DOSBox is still my recommendation.
The game in DOS lacks some things, but it's playable.

DK2 runs better, but fans don't seem to like that version as much.

-A.

DarkMisstress

Re: Dungeon Keeper incompatible with Vista?
Anybody else managed to discover anything which may make DK1 work on vista
without having to use Dosbox which really limits what you can do. i.e :
Editor, Direct 3D, plays in a small window, lags etc.

Thankyou!
ana.paklons@gmail.com

Re: Dungeon Keeper incompatible with Vista?
I tried that windows DEP trick too, didn't work for me either. Now it
just does nothing at all.
Anyone has some different ideas? I've checked practically every forum
there is on this subject and noone seems to have a solution that works
for me! It's always 'just change your compatibillity settings', but
that also doesn't work.

How does DOSbox work? Maybe after all, I'll have to try that...

Ana

On 14 feb, 21:53, "Andy [YaYa]" <android8...@MAPSONhotmail.com> wrote:
> "VRG Scotty" <vrg-sco...@vistareadygames.com> wrote in message

> > "VRG Scotty" <vrg-sco...@vistareadygames.com> wrote in message

> >> It has nothing to do with M$ it is upto the game makers to supply a
> >> patch.. But I have Gold running on my Vista machine. *Installed as
> >> administrator, didn't have to do anything else.

> > Found this on VRG
> > Hi there. Believe it or not, I just finished the entire game again
> > (for the nth time), but this time on Vista! I was having the exact
> > same issues as you, crashing, freezing... then I went into the Windows
> > DEP (Window key+pause - Advanced System Settings - Performace tab,
> > Settings - Data Execution Prevention tab - Add) then add the
> > Keeper95.exe to the list. Then go into the program file Keeper95.exe,
> > right click it and choose compatibility - Windows XP SP2. Now after
> > all this, if I run the game from the shortcut it won't work! You have
> > to go into the program files\bullfrog\keeper\ and run the game by
> > directly clicking on keeper95.exe. Weird, but worked every time!

> I tried that, didn't help me, I did something else to get the game working,
> but won't know til I get home tonight. DOSBox is still my recommendation.
> The game in DOS lacks some things, but it's playable.
>
> DK2 runs better, but fans don't seem to like that version as much.
>
> -A.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

Dungeon Keeper 1 on Vista???? Possible??? esmnh microsoft.public.windows.vista.games 15 02-27-2010 14:46
HOW-TO: Dungeon Keeper 2 in Vista Andy microsoft.public.windows.vista.games 25 02-12-2010 20:12
IE Privacy Keeper v2.73 - Anyone Running this on Vista? Margaret microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 4 01-22-2009 16:08
Dungeon Runners 95 Gamer Games Feed 0 12-19-2007 15:20
HELP with Dungeon Seige jamiebanjo microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 04-23-2007 09:01