Sid Meier's Railroads!

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

John Smith

Sid Meier's Railroads!
I have this program installed on Vista Ultimate and every 5 minutes or so it
crashes, screen goes black and it reverts back to the desktop.

Anyone have any ideas?

John

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Sid Meier's Railroads!
John;
Do you have the latest video and sound drivers?
What does the program manufacturer have to say about Windows vista
compatibility?
Is there an update or patch available for the program?
Does you computer meet or preferably exceed all the hardware
requirements for the program?
Do you have other programs such as anti virus running that may
interfere?

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"John Smith" <hatman721@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have this program installed on Vista Ultimate and every 5 minutes
>or so it crashes, screen goes black and it reverts back to the
>desktop.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> John

Shawn Malligan

Re: Sid Meier's Railroads!

I purchased this game over a year ago and couldn't get it to work under
Vista so I emailed Firaxis who said it wasn't designed for Vista which is
why it keeps crashing to the desktop. I had emailed them prior to this and
they suggested I try the different compatabiliy modes but this didn't work.
I guess I have wasted my money getting the game unless I install XP instead
of Vista.
Shawn

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Sid Meier's Railroads!
Shawn;
See if you can find others that use that program, perhaps someone has
a fix.
If the manufacturer has forums, you may be able to find a solution
there.

--

"Shawn Malligan" <shawnmalligan@eftel.net.au.nospam> wrote in message

> I purchased this game over a year ago and couldn't get it to work
> under Vista so I emailed Firaxis who said it wasn't designed for
> Vista which is why it keeps crashing to the desktop. I had emailed
> them prior to this and they suggested I try the different
> compatabiliy modes but this didn't work. I guess I have wasted my
> money getting the game unless I install XP instead of Vista.
> Shawn

Andy [YaYa]

Re: Sid Meier's Railroads!
"John Smith" <hatman721@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have this program installed on Vista Ultimate and every 5 minutes or so
>it crashes, screen goes black and it reverts back to the desktop.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

Yes, I have several, the one at the top of my mind is your video card is
crashing. I'm not sure if Railroads has this option, but try running the
game in Windowed Mode (Check the game options), so when the game crashes
you'll see any pop-up message that may be getting obscured by the game
running full screen.

If Windows says something like Your display adapter stopped working and
Windows has recovered, it could be your video card drivers are crashing
(easy, just update them and that "might" fix it), or your video card is
overheating and crashing which is bad, and could require replacing the video
card, or simply cooling down your system a bit.

If you built the system yourself and are comfortable working inside, check
your system fans, make sure they are clean and spinning nice and fast while
the system is on. As a test you might try getting a small house fan, opening
up your case and pointing the fan at your system while you play, see if the
problem goes away.

If none of this is helping, reply and include your system
specs/make/model/video/audio/etc settings.

-A.

scotsparaman

Re: Sid Meier's Railroads!

This is apparently due to a 32-bit application without LARGEADDRESSAWARE
not being able to see and use more then 2 GB on any Microsoft OS (32 or
64 bit). This doesn't mean the OS can't see more memory.. this means the
program was programed to only see 2gb total.. so it doesn't matter if it
is in x86 or x64, the program is restricted. Since the OS and other
resources eat up that same memory, when the game is set up just right..
it will crash due to lack of memory.

I believe I have solved it!

If anyone wants the windows vista x32 fixed exe for sid meiers
railroads give me an email. I've patched the executable to run under
vista 32 using the large address aware. Been playing it for weeks now
without a hitch. I'll zip it and send it to anyone who wants
it!!!!monkey.999@hotmail.co.uk

--
scotsparaman
Mark Shelley

Sid Meier's Railroads! fix for Vista
Scot,

Can you send the fix to markjshelley@hotmail.com?

Thx,

-M
monkey999

Re: Sid Meier's Railroads!

Email here for more info railroads.fix@hotmail.co.uk

--
monkey999
monkey999

Re: Sid Meier's Railroads!

::*Hi sorry, forgot to say, if you need help sorting the crashes that
occur whilst playing this game on vista, email me at
*::'::*railroads.fix@hotmail.co.uk*::' (railroads.fix@hotmail.co.uk)::*
. I'll help you through the problem.*::::*It occurs due to a memory
allocation problem. Like I said just give me an email and I'll help if I
can.*::
::::
::*Cheers*::

--
monkey999
kesmoli

Re: Sid Meier's Railroads!

delete install
cancel out of auto run
explore cd
right click on setup
click on properties
go to compatability tab
change compatability to xp service pack 2
apply changes and exit
double click setup icon to reinstall
follow same steps w/ the exe. shortcut icon b4 u run

everyone thinks to change the compatability on the exe. icon but not on
the setup icon befor installing. that was the key for me. gl

--
kesmoli