Gears Of War

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

roy69

Gears Of War

Ok so I know alot of people are having trouble with this game as I did
when I first had it. Do not try to run this game from your CD as it will
crash. I managed to get it to work by first
visit
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...940105-x64.msu.
This will download an update for vista that is required then,

Click on the Start menu, go to games and you will find the gears of war
icon there.

Doulbe click and it will work.

--
roy69

- Core 2 Quad Q6600
- Abit IP35 Pro
- 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Duel Channel
- Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3 CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD
Panel. 1680 x 1050
- Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
- Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
- Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
Paul Smith

Re: Gears Of War
Thanks for posting.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

"roy69" <roy69.2zxsjq@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Ok so I know alot of people are having trouble with this game as I did
> when I first had it. Do not try to run this game from your CD as it will
> crash. I managed to get it to work by first
> visit
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...940105-x64.msu.
> This will download an update for vista that is required then,
>
> Click on the Start menu, go to games and you will find the gears of war
> icon there.
>
> Doulbe click and it will work.
>

> --
> roy69
>
> - Core 2 Quad Q6600
> - Abit IP35 Pro
> - 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Duel Channel
> - Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3 CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD
> Panel. 1680 x 1050
> - Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
> - Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
> - Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers

c d poe

Re: Gears Of War
So are there any tips for getting it to run under WinXP Pro?

I recently purchased Gears of War (Games for Windows PC version) and
installed it succcessfully. When I try to run the game, I get an error
message "wargame-gw4live.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close"
and then the start window closes.

My PC runs the following:

Tyan Tiger S2466N motherboard with dual AMD Athlon MP 2800 processors
2G of Crucial Memory
Windows XP Pro SP2 with all updates current as of 11/11/2007
ATI Radeon X1600 with current Catalyst drivers & WinXP updates

"Paul Smith" wrote:

> Thanks for posting.
>
> --
> Paul Smith,
> Yeovil, UK.
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User.
> http://www.dasmirnov.net/blog/
> http://www.windowsresource.net/
>
> *Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*
>

> "roy69" <roy69.2zxsjq@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Ok so I know alot of people are having trouble with this game as I did
> > when I first had it. Do not try to run this game from your CD as it will
> > crash. I managed to get it to work by first
> > visit
> > http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...940105-x64.msu.
> > This will download an update for vista that is required then,
> >
> > Click on the Start menu, go to games and you will find the gears of war
> > icon there.
> >
> > Doulbe click and it will work.
> >

> > --
> > roy69
> >
> > - Core 2 Quad Q6600
> > - Abit IP35 Pro
> > - 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Duel Channel
> > - Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3 CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD
> > Panel. 1680 x 1050
> > - Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
> > - Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
> > - Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers

Savage

Re: Gears Of War
Hi there,

I think you need to install the Xlive app which is contained on the disk in
the support folder.

I'm nowhere near my disk right now , so I can't give you details on the path
or executable , but I am pretty sure anything to do with live or Xlive can be
sorted out by installing that Xlive app.

P.s I have only seen this kind of error on a system not running Windows XP
service pack 2 , and I suspect also not running DirectX 9.0C , but I haven't
really investigated further ,the game is just too addictive , not getting any
real homework done :-P

Hope this helps
--
________
NIC

"c d poe" wrote:

> So are there any tips for getting it to run under WinXP Pro?
>
> I recently purchased Gears of War (Games for Windows PC version) and
> installed it succcessfully. When I try to run the game, I get an error
> message "wargame-gw4live.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close"
> and then the start window closes.
>
> My PC runs the following:
>
> Tyan Tiger S2466N motherboard with dual AMD Athlon MP 2800 processors
> 2G of Crucial Memory
> Windows XP Pro SP2 with all updates current as of 11/11/2007
> ATI Radeon X1600 with current Catalyst drivers & WinXP updates
>

> "Paul Smith" wrote:
>
> > Thanks for posting.
> >
> > --
> > Paul Smith,
> > Yeovil, UK.
> > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User.
> > http://www.dasmirnov.net/blog/
> > http://www.windowsresource.net/
> >
> > *Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*
> >

> > "roy69" <roy69.2zxsjq@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Ok so I know alot of people are having trouble with this game as I did
> > > when I first had it. Do not try to run this game from your CD as it will
> > > crash. I managed to get it to work by first
> > > visit
> > > http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...940105-x64.msu.
> > > This will download an update for vista that is required then,
> > >
> > > Click on the Start menu, go to games and you will find the gears of war
> > > icon there.
> > >
> > > Doulbe click and it will work.
> > >

> > > --
> > > roy69
> > >
> > > - Core 2 Quad Q6600
> > > - Abit IP35 Pro
> > > - 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Duel Channel
> > > - Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3 CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD
> > > Panel. 1680 x 1050
> > > - Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
> > > - Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
> > > - Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers

pxmm

RE: Gears Of War
No joy at all with GFWL. I have Gears of War and get constant
wargame-gfwlive.exe crashes. See
http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15 where it's been
established by users with a number of GFWL games that GFWL is the only common
denominator. Other games mentioned are Kane & Lynch, Unreal Tournament 3 and
Viva Pinata; to name but 3.

As there is no way to run GoW without gfwl i am now stuck with a £25 useless
game. Epic have not seen fit to even acknowledge the problem, and I don't
hear MS either. I'm surprised these newsgroups aren't full of posts about
this, maybe because there's not even a GFWL group...

"roy69" wrote:

> Ok so I know alot of people are having trouble with this game as I did
> when I first had it. Do not try to run this game from your CD as it will
> crash. I managed to get it to work by first
> visit
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...940105-x64.msu.
> This will download an update for vista that is required then,
>
> Click on the Start menu, go to games and you will find the gears of war
> icon there.
>
> Doulbe click and it will work.
>

> --
> roy69
>
> - Core 2 Quad Q6600
> - Abit IP35 Pro
> - 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Duel Channel
> - Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3 CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD
> Panel. 1680 x 1050
> - Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
> - Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
> - Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers

Savage

RE: Gears Of War
Hi Pxmm,

The file you mentioned seems specific to gears of war , "wargame - games for
windows live executable" , I have found a place where you can download an
update for games for windows live , get it here :

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US...s/default.aspx

Specifically I would recommend some MSCONFIG troubleshooting , I know my
gaming experience improved when I disabled all non essential services.
( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560/en-us )

Since disabling my LAN connection I have not had a day's grief with GOW ,
since Live is not supported in South Africa , all I needed to do was create a
live account once , disabling any internet connection for gameplay
drastically reduced the startup time for the game .

Hope some of this information was useful.
--
________
NIC

"pxmm" wrote:

> No joy at all with GFWL. I have Gears of War and get constant
> wargame-gfwlive.exe crashes. See
> http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15 where it's been
> established by users with a number of GFWL games that GFWL is the only common
> denominator. Other games mentioned are Kane & Lynch, Unreal Tournament 3 and
> Viva Pinata; to name but 3.
>
> As there is no way to run GoW without gfwl i am now stuck with a £25 useless
> game. Epic have not seen fit to even acknowledge the problem, and I don't
> hear MS either. I'm surprised these newsgroups aren't full of posts about
> this, maybe because there's not even a GFWL group...
>
> "roy69" wrote:
>

> > Ok so I know alot of people are having trouble with this game as I did
> > when I first had it. Do not try to run this game from your CD as it will
> > crash. I managed to get it to work by first
> > visit
> > http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...940105-x64.msu.
> > This will download an update for vista that is required then,
> >
> > Click on the Start menu, go to games and you will find the gears of war
> > icon there.
> >
> > Doulbe click and it will work.
> >

> > --
> > roy69
> >
> > - Core 2 Quad Q6600
> > - Abit IP35 Pro
> > - 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Duel Channel
> > - Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3 CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD
> > Panel. 1680 x 1050
> > - Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
> > - Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
> > - Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers

broot22

Re: Gears Of War

Nice 1 I Was Just About To Post About This
Thanx

--
broot22