BSOD for DVD installations

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

McBain

BSOD for DVD installations
Did Bioshock or AnyDVD through a monkey wrench into the system? The sytem
now crashes when attepting to install any PCDVD game. CD works fine though.
Unistalling AnyDVD hasn't worked. A spare CD/DVD combo drive does the same
thing so Im sure its not the hardware, also it ran like a champ before
installing Bioshock and AnyDVD. DVD movies do play. Reinstalling opticals
hasn't worked either. The contents on a DVDROM wont show either.
Mark

Re: BSOD for DVD installations
Bioshock installs a SecureROM copy protection system. Its possible that has
interferred with your system. I don't believe it uninstalls if you uninstall
the game though, you probably have to manually remove it, check with
http://forums.tweakguides.com/showthread.php?t=4027 for one possible way.
You could try it and see if it solves the problem.

Before doing that though, you might try a few things:
1 - boot up in safe-mode (press F8 before Vista starts), this will give you
a minimal Windows without anything unnecessary running. If you can access
the drive then its probably a virus or other application interfering)
2 - restore to an old system restore-point. Try restoring back to before you
installed the suspect software. Note: Its probable that doing this will
corrupt your bioshock install and license, you may want to run the license
revoke tool first (http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/revoketool.html)

Hope that helps!
Mark

"McBain" <McBain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Did Bioshock or AnyDVD through a monkey wrench into the system? The sytem
> now crashes when attepting to install any PCDVD game. CD works fine
> though.
> Unistalling AnyDVD hasn't worked. A spare CD/DVD combo drive does the
> same
> thing so Im sure its not the hardware, also it ran like a champ before
> installing Bioshock and AnyDVD. DVD movies do play. Reinstalling
> opticals
> hasn't worked either. The contents on a DVDROM wont show either.

McBain

RE: BSOD for DVD installations
This is where it's at now. I've installed another combo drive, without
bluray and it behaves exactly the same. The problem is not with the drive
itself. The following games do this:
Quake Wars: ignores disk, no autoplay. right click for 'install' gets no
action. disk content not visible even disk icon comes up.

Bioshock; Lauching already istalled game results in BSOD. Unintalled game,
then tried reinstalling. Autoplay menu comes up but 'install' gets no action.

Crysis: Thank heavens it installed okay; play good too.

Lost planet; Steam registers the install, installs from dvdrom okay, play
well. disk not needed as it is now registered with steam.

Battlefield2142: BSOD happens right after you select language to install.

Timeshift: BSOD right at install.

Company of Heroes; BSOD right at install.

Movies play fine. CDs work fine. Tried unstalling optical at system.
Firmware is up to date.
"McBain" wrote:

> Did Bioshock or AnyDVD through a monkey wrench into the system? The sytem
> now crashes when attepting to install any PCDVD game. CD works fine though.
> Unistalling AnyDVD hasn't worked. A spare CD/DVD combo drive does the same
> thing so Im sure its not the hardware, also it ran like a champ before
> installing Bioshock and AnyDVD. DVD movies do play. Reinstalling opticals
> hasn't worked either. The contents on a DVDROM wont show either.

McBain

Re: BSOD for DVD installations
Safemode does the same thing. The hardware does work because Crysis and Lost
Planet installed and play just fine.