Dungeon Keeper 1 on Vista???? Possible???

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

esmnh

Dungeon Keeper 1 on Vista???? Possible???
Hi,
I am trying to install one of my absolute fave games on Vista Home Basic and
it installes perfectly but just wont run... I get the first screen of the
game and then it just crash. I don't get any error message or anything of
such. It just stop working... now I know its a VERY old game but is there ANY
way to make this game work???

I love this game so much, can't get sick of it... hate to think its all
over... Dungeon Keeper 2 is working fine but its not the same...

Sometimes you just find a game that captures your heart and it sticks with
you... for me those games are tetris, dungeon keeper 1 and mahajong... can
never get sick of any of them... now Keeper wont work and it breaks my heart
since Vista has been sooooooooooooooooooooo nice to me so far... havent had
much of those problems you are suppose to get with this OS...

Plz help... someone?????
Mark

Re: Dungeon Keeper 1 on Vista???? Possible???
Have you tried running in administrator mode? Right-click and select "run as
administrator"

Another idea, check the application event log and see if there is an event.
Right-click on "computer" and select "manage", then open "Event viewer",
"windows logs", "Application" and see if there is any errors that show up.
It might give a clue.

Hope that helps!
Mark

"esmnh" <esmnh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I am trying to install one of my absolute fave games on Vista Home Basic
> and
> it installes perfectly but just wont run... I get the first screen of the
> game and then it just crash. I don't get any error message or anything of
> such. It just stop working... now I know its a VERY old game but is there
> ANY
> way to make this game work???
>
> I love this game so much, can't get sick of it... hate to think its all
> over... Dungeon Keeper 2 is working fine but its not the same...
>
> Sometimes you just find a game that captures your heart and it sticks with
> you... for me those games are tetris, dungeon keeper 1 and mahajong... can
> never get sick of any of them... now Keeper wont work and it breaks my
> heart
> since Vista has been sooooooooooooooooooooo nice to me so far... havent
> had
> much of those problems you are suppose to get with this OS...
>
> Plz help... someone?????

esmnh

Re: Dungeon Keeper 1 on Vista???? Possible???
Mark... thanks for trying but I have tried everything... including joing
Vista Ready Games forum and it turns out that not even the experts there
could get the game to run anymore... It seems like my computer has been
upgraded too much or something...

"Mark" wrote:

> Have you tried running in administrator mode? Right-click and select "run as
> administrator"
>
> Another idea, check the application event log and see if there is an event.
> Right-click on "computer" and select "manage", then open "Event viewer",
> "windows logs", "Application" and see if there is any errors that show up.
> It might give a clue.
>
> Hope that helps!
> Mark
>

> "esmnh" <esmnh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I am trying to install one of my absolute fave games on Vista Home Basic
> > and
> > it installes perfectly but just wont run... I get the first screen of the
> > game and then it just crash. I don't get any error message or anything of
> > such. It just stop working... now I know its a VERY old game but is there
> > ANY
> > way to make this game work???
> >
> > I love this game so much, can't get sick of it... hate to think its all
> > over... Dungeon Keeper 2 is working fine but its not the same...
> >
> > Sometimes you just find a game that captures your heart and it sticks with
> > you... for me those games are tetris, dungeon keeper 1 and mahajong... can
> > never get sick of any of them... now Keeper wont work and it breaks my
> > heart
> > since Vista has been sooooooooooooooooooooo nice to me so far... havent
> > had
> > much of those problems you are suppose to get with this OS...
> >
> > Plz help... someone?????

Andy [YaYa]

Re: Dungeon Keeper 1 on Vista???? Possible???
"esmnh" <esmnh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I am trying to install one of my absolute fave games on Vista Home Basic
> and
> it installes perfectly but just wont run... I get the first screen of the
> game and then it just crash. I don't get any error message or anything of
> such. It just stop working... now I know its a VERY old game but is there
> ANY
> way to make this game work???
>
> I love this game so much, can't get sick of it... hate to think its all
> over... Dungeon Keeper 2 is working fine but its not the same...
>
> Sometimes you just find a game that captures your heart and it sticks with
> you... for me those games are tetris, dungeon keeper 1 and mahajong... can
> never get sick of any of them... now Keeper wont work and it breaks my
> heart
> since Vista has been sooooooooooooooooooooo nice to me so far... havent
> had
> much of those problems you are suppose to get with this OS...

Great game, SOOOO HARD, espically the expansion pack where each mission took
like 2-4 hours, was crazy challenging.

Wish I had troubleshooting for you, but I can't even recall if this is a dos
or windows based game.

Good luck, oh post your system specs with your problem, every time, could be
hardware related.

Mark

Re: Dungeon Keeper 1 on Vista???? Possible???
Well, if you are really desperate you can always try the Microsoft
Application Compatibility Toolkit. It has an entry for Dungeon Keeper 1 and
2, so there is a good chance you can get it running. Unfortunately it
doesn't seem to have been updated for Vista yet and the built-in fixes don't
always work, but its a try. Running the MACT is a little tough to figure out
but it allows the system to ignore (essentially to turn on and off) old
features that no longer function. I've used it with some old games and got
them running but it is kind of a hit-and-miss process. Looking at the
built-in fix, it appears that sound is a major element of what they were
solving. You might try running the game without any sound at all and see if
it will run.

You can download the MACT at:

> Mark... thanks for trying but I have tried everything... including joing
> Vista Ready Games forum and it turns out that not even the experts there
> could get the game to run anymore... It seems like my computer has been
> upgraded too much or something...

esmnh

Re: Dungeon Keeper 1 on Vista???? Possible???
Believe it or not Mark but I have already tried that... I seriously doubt
there is an advice that people here on Vista can give me that they havent
given me already after I posted my first help post here... I tried that one
and so did the admins at Vista Ready Game forum and we all came up with the
same result... NADA... game wont start...

Thanks anyway but I think its time for Dungeon Keeper to die....

> Believe it or not Mark but I have already tried that... I seriously doubt
> there is an advice that people here on Vista can give me that they havent
> given me already after I posted my first help post here... I tried that
> one
> and so did the admins at Vista Ready Game forum and we all came up with
> the
> same result... NADA... game wont start...
>
> Thanks anyway but I think its time for Dungeon Keeper to die....

Try Overlord maybe? From the game descriptions the themes sound similar to
DK... If I can find a copy of DK tonight I'll give it a whirl Esmnh.

-A.

Joseph Millman

Re: Dungeon Keeper 1 on Vista???? Possible???
you could do what I eventually did: install Dungeon Keeper to a DOS
VirtualPC machine. It's run just fine for me so far.

RayMan!

On Aug 25, 7:42 pm, esmnh <es...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to install one of my absolute fave games onVistaHome Basic and
> it installes perfectly but just wont run... I get the first screen of the
> game and then it just crash. I don't get any error message or anything of
> such. It just stop working... now I know its a VERY old game but is there ANY
> way to make this game work???
>
> I love this game so much, can't get sick of it... hate to think its all
> over...DungeonKeeper2is working fine but its not the same...
>
> Sometimes you just find a game that captures your heart and it sticks with
> you... for me those games are tetris,dungeonkeeper1 and mahajong... can
> never get sick of any of them... nowKeeperwont work and it breaks my heart
> sinceVistahas been sooooooooooooooooooooo nice to me so far... havent had
> much of those problems you are suppose to get with this OS...
>
> Plz help... someone?????

Hi there. Believe it or not, I just finished the entire game again
(for the nth time), but this time on Vista! I was having the exact
same issues as you, crashing, freezing... then I went into the Windows
DEP (Window key+pause - Advanced System Settings - Performace tab,
Settings - Data Execution Prevention tab - Add) then add the
Keeper95.exe to the list. Then go into the program file Keeper95.exe,
right click it and choose compatibility - Windows XP SP2. Now after
all this, if I run the game from the shortcut it won't work! You have
to go into the program files\bullfrog\keeper\ and run the game by
directly clicking on keeper95.exe. Weird, but worked every time!

Good luck!
Now as a payback, I would appreciate if you can tell me how you got
Keeper 2 to work on Vista! Mine will only load if it's set to W2K
compatibility but then freezes frequently, it's unplayable..

Thanks in advance!

kairu10

Re: Dungeon Keeper 1 on Vista???? Possible???

Dont let dungeon keeper die,
i also had this problem when i upgraded to vista, but i found a
soloution.
Dont know if you have tried this but, there is a program called dosbox
I used this it allowed me to play my all time fav on vista
it emulates DOS and allows you to play the games through the emulator

Heres the download link : 'DOSBox, a x86 emulator with DOS'
(http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1)

If you have any probs ask me and ill help you to the best of my
ability

--
kairu10