Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Stalker with Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2007
rudd
 

Posts: n/a
Stalker with Vista
Hello,

I have just bought a new pc with Vista and am trying to play Stalker. I
crashed every ten to fif**** minutes or so with a completly frozen screen
that can only be sorted by turning off the power. Is this simply a Vista
issue? Should I install XP too and run it though that? Any help would be much
appreciated.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2007
Andrew
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Stalker with Vista
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 00:10:00 -0700, rudd
<rudd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have just bought a new pc with Vista and am trying to play Stalker. I
>crashed every ten to fif**** minutes or so with a completly frozen screen
>that can only be sorted by turning off the power. Is this simply a Vista
>issue? Should I install XP too and run it though that? Any help would be much
>appreciated.


I haven't tried it myself in Vista yet, but have you got the latest
game patch?
--
Andrew, contact via http://interpleb.googlepages.com
Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2007
rudd
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Stalker with Vista
Thanks Andrew- ok reallt stupid question here but where and what is a game
patch?

"Andrew" wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 00:10:00 -0700, rudd
> <rudd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have just bought a new pc with Vista and am trying to play Stalker. I
> >crashed every ten to fif**** minutes or so with a completly frozen screen
> >that can only be sorted by turning off the power. Is this simply a Vista
> >issue? Should I install XP too and run it though that? Any help would be much
> >appreciated.

>
> I haven't tried it myself in Vista yet, but have you got the latest
> game patch?
> --
> Andrew, contact via http://interpleb.googlepages.com
> Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
> please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
> Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2007
Carl
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Stalker with Vista
It's not a Vista problem. I have been playing Stalker on both XP64 and Vista
Home Premium 64 on highest settings with no problems at all. You do not post
your machine specifications, which may help in diagnosing the problem. From
the info you have posted, I would suggest overheating of your components.
Stalker seems to me to like lots of ram, a good gpu and processor to run
smoothly.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2007
rudd
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Stalker with Vista
thanks Carl, below are my system details, its a brand new pc sold as a gaming
machine so I'd be a bit disapointed if it struggled with Stalker.

Modula 4400-OC Factory Overclocked Performance Gaming PC System


Specification



Processor
Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 (Overclocked to 2.5Ghz) Dual Core Processor
- Latest LGA775 Dual Core Processor Technology
- 2Mb Cache
- CoolerMaster Heatsink/Fan for improved system cooling and reliability

Memory
2048Mb DDR2 667Mhz Ram
- Dual-Channel for Improved system performance
- High-Speed 667Mhz DDR2 Ram for improved performance

Hard Disk Drive
320Gb Serial-ATA II Hard Drive
- 16Mb Buffer for improved performance
- 300Mb/s maximum data transfer rate





Power Supply
450 Watt ATX Power Supply
- 80mm Fan for improved air-flow & reduced noise levels
- Latest ATX2.2 design for improved system stability




Graphics Card
BFG Tech GeForce 8800GTS-OC2 640Mb Factory Overclocked PCI-Express Graphics
Card
- Factory Overclocked for extreme performance boost







"Carl" wrote:

> It's not a Vista problem. I have been playing Stalker on both XP64 and Vista
> Home Premium 64 on highest settings with no problems at all. You do not post
> your machine specifications, which may help in diagnosing the problem. From
> the info you have posted, I would suggest overheating of your components.
> Stalker seems to me to like lots of ram, a good gpu and processor to run
> smoothly.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2007
Mark
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Stalker with Vista
Rudd,
a game patch is just an update to the original game to fix bugs and/or
flaws. Many times the game doesn't run correctly in all possible
combinations of hardware/software and when people report a flaw the
designers discover a situation they missed. I don't know how Stalker works,
some programs will automatically search the web for a patch, some of them
assume you will go to the vendors site and download it manually. A quick
check of the games website does not show any patches available yet.

Hope that helps!
Mark


"rudd" <rudd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:246F23F7-6434-4E97-8EF6-CFC0ABB25C14@microsoft.com...
> Thanks Andrew- ok reallt stupid question here but where and what is a game
> patch?
>


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2007
VRG Scotty©
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Stalker with Vista

"rudd" <rudd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:246F23F7-6434-4E97-8EF6-CFC0ABB25C14@microsoft.com...
> Thanks Andrew- ok reallt stupid question here but where and what is a game
> patch?


It's a prog that updates the game to work with vista
Here's the info for the 1.0003 patch
http://forums.legitreviews.com/about9766.html
the 1.0004 is to be released very soon I believe
--
VRG Scotty©

www.vistareadygames.com
Register (it's free) and Use the Search for solution button to find the
answer.

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2007
CJM
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Stalker with Vista
I've had STALKER since the week it came out, but until Patch 1.0003 came out
it kep crashing after saves (in Vista x64).

Since then it's been very stable and the game is great and performs well.

I'd make sure that your nvidia drivers are up to date, and make sure you
install the patch, and then try again. STALKER has a reputation for being
temperamental, but it's worth persisting with...



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2007
Dave B.
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Stalker with Vista
Just like Windows, game mfg's release updates and patches to fix problems
and add features, you should be checking the mfg's website of every game you
play to see if any patches have been release and if you should apply them.

--
----
Crosspost, do not multipost http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"rudd" <rudd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:246F23F7-6434-4E97-8EF6-CFC0ABB25C14@microsoft.com...
> Thanks Andrew- ok reallt stupid question here but where and what is a game
> patch?
>
> "Andrew" wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 00:10:00 -0700, rudd
>> <rudd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have just bought a new pc with Vista and am trying to play Stalker. I
>> >crashed every ten to fif**** minutes or so with a completly frozen
>> >screen
>> >that can only be sorted by turning off the power. Is this simply a Vista
>> >issue? Should I install XP too and run it though that? Any help would be
>> >much
>> >appreciated.

>>
>> I haven't tried it myself in Vista yet, but have you got the latest
>> game patch?
>> --
>> Andrew, contact via http://interpleb.googlepages.com
>> Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
>> please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
>> Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
>>



Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-15-2007
Crazy Noddy
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Stalker with Vista
"CJM" <cjmnews04@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
news:uoI$H7o3HHA.5796@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> I've had STALKER since the week it came out, but until Patch 1.0003 came
> out it kep crashing after saves (in Vista x64).
>
> Since then it's been very stable and the game is great and performs well.
>
> I'd make sure that your nvidia drivers are up to date, and make sure you
> install the patch, and then try again. STALKER has a reputation for being
> temperamental, but it's worth persisting with...
>
>
>


I run Stalker with latest patch on Vista64 with no issues too. It's either
because he needs latest patch or the cpu is overheating due to the factory
overclcock.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stalker Save and Quicksave crashes under Vista 32 Dale White microsoft.public.windows.vista.games 3 08-16-2007 20:25
The stalker in your pocket Steve Security News 0 07-24-2007 10:11
Your Own Mini-Stalker Steve General Technology News 0 07-21-2007 08:05
The stalker in your pocket Steve Security News 0 07-20-2007 05:37
STALKER on XP versus Vista sibrecat microsoft.public.windows.vista.games 6 04-08-2007 11:33




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:35.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120