Vista Reload: Is my plan workable? Need feedback

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZVBpZQ==?=

Vista Reload: Is my plan workable? Need feedback
After having Vista since 2/1, I am running into more minor file/directory
problems(See list at end).

No one has posted any solutions. I did try: Startup Repair from VISTA CD
and SFC /SCANNOW(System File Checker)! Please note that everything works fine
when switching to USER having NO admin privileges. I think all my problems
have to do with security/file folder permissions or a directory file
structure permission issue?

My plan is to:
-Use Windows Easy Transfer to backup files to MyBook external USB disk
or CD if not supported.
-Re-install XP Media center from HP recovery CD's(dated 9/8/06)
-Clean install booting from Vista CD using key from Retail Box
-Use Windows Easy Transfer to restore files from above backup.

I plan to use Windows Easy Transfer to backup/restore files to/from
MyBook external USB disk(CD if not supported). Not sure if it will store
*.dbx files(not sure what extension are in Vista).

I think a lot of my problems are being created by:
-Iolo's System Mechanic 7(register cleanups)
-Webroot: Spy Sweeper & Windows Washer(deleting temp files)
-Ashampoo(deleting temp files)

Also, a lot of vendors just keep releasing Vista compatible bug fixes on
the fly. Most of my previous Norton products won't work for months.

If this group can share what 3rd party products are working w/Vista, I
would appreciate it. When I complete the clean install, I will probably only
install Norton Internet Security 2007. Then MAYBE install Norton's: Save &
Restore on 3/1 or Ghost on 4/18. then Norton System Works when available.

Thanks for your time.

File & Directory problems:
-can't save www.google.com to Favorites folder: Unable to create Google.
Unspecified Error
-Can't purge my temporary file at
C:\Users\DavePie\AppData\Local\Temp\ppcrlui_5068_2 . You need permission to
perform this action
-Roboform Autosave: can't open file
'C:\Users\DavePie\AppData\LocalLow\SiberSystems\Ro boForm\Userdata\options.rfo. Permission denied(13)
-can't export favorites to C::\temp\bookmark.htm.
C:\Users\DavePie\AppData\Local|Temp\Low\ is not accessible. Access is Denied
even though it displays the favorites folder and sub-directories on screen!

DavePie in Naples.
--
DavePieNaples
=?Utf-8?B?amltbXVo?=

RE: Vista Reload: Is my plan workable? Need feedback
I'm not sure what you intend when you talk about installing WinXP and the
doing a clean install of Vista by booting the disc. Is this an upgrade or
full version of Vista? In any case, be sure you research what you're doing
there very carefully. The "clean" installation is, I think, a VERY good idea.
In-place upgrades of Vista over WinXP all look like disasters to me. I'm sure
there are exceptions, but I haven't seen any of them.

If I may suggest something about all of that software that you're running --
dispense with it. It is, IMO, all crap. You do NOT need a registry cleaner,
especially one made by people who don't know much (yet) about the Vista
registry. You do NOT need a temp file cleaner. Vista has the ability to get
rid of all of the temp files you should be deleting without blowing away
stuff that might at some point still need to be used by processes that aren't
running right now -- like a RunOnce entry, for instance. And the Internet
Security packages all seek to replace the operating system's firewall. Why? I
suspect that Microsoft did a better job with this firewall than Symantec will
ever do. And you already have a pretty clever (not perfect, but pretty good)
anti-spyware package (Windows Defender) that comes standard with this OS.

Okay, so I'm a curmudgeon. But, really, this is a brand new OS. It might be
a good idea to give it a try without hacking it to death with third party
software that interferes with some of its most basic functions. It's a pretty
secure OS. Use it carefully for a while before deciding to start adding all
of those "essential" utilities to the system. Install a good, solid,
Vista-compatible anti-virus software package and use the system very
cautiosly for a while. (You might want to consider an AV package that has
some anti-Trojan, anti-rootkit, and anti-spyware capabilities. I use NOD32.)
I think you'll probably find that you won't ever need all of that other stuff.

Just an opinion from a very jaundiced guy who has seen Symantec / Norton
(consumer grade stuff, not the corporate stuff) utilities and registry
cleaners whack many systems over the years.