Not enough memory to complete this operation

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBTbWl0aA==?=

Not enough memory to complete this operation
Hi, I am using Windos Vista Ultimate and a laptop Pentium M 1.8GHz, 2 GB RAM
and 60GB HDD.

After installing Windos Vista, I needed to restore the files (backup) using
copy/paste or drag-and-drog facility. However, whenever I do it, after few
minutes, the message - not enough memory to complete this operation - appears
and the process is aborted.

I dont know if Vista changed the way to work, but WXP didnt work this way,
and I noticed that Vista is taking about 80-90% of CPU usage.

Remember, Windows Vista was installed as clean mode.

It is boring a lot, because I cannot do the restore. If you could help me on
this issue, I would appreciate it a lot.

It seems that there is a fix to this problem, but I didnt find it. It sounds
like - memory checker patch.

Thanks
simmons

Re: Not enough memory to complete this operation

I have the same kind of problems when trying to copy /drag&drop etc.
many small files (> 7'500). The problem occurs between HD:HD,
HD:USB-HD, HDVD and all vice versa.

There is someone out there knowing something about a "Vista Memory
Checker Patch": take look at
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1157908

Unfortunately i cannot find anything usable about such a patch ! Does
someone knows where to find such a patch - and if that patch could be a
solution for our problem ???

simmons

--
simmons
simmons's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=22438

http://forums.techarena.in

Ben Enfield

Re: Not enough memory to complete this operation
Be VERY wary about using a third party patch. It sounds too much like a
virus, trojan, spyware.

Ben

"simmons" <simmons.2me57h@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> I have the same kind of problems when trying to copy /drag&drop etc.
> many small files (> 7'500). The problem occurs between HD:HD,
> HD:USB-HD, HDVD and all vice versa.
>
> There is someone out there knowing something about a "Vista Memory
> Checker Patch": take look at
> http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1157908
>
> Unfortunately i cannot find anything usable about such a patch ! Does
> someone knows where to find such a patch - and if that patch could be a
> solution for our problem ???
>
> simmons
>

> --
> simmons
> simmons's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=22438
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=685888
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

simmons

Re: Not enough memory to complete this operation

Hello Ben

Thank you for your answer. i do NOT know anything about that patch -
also i do NOT know if the patch is from Microsoft.

You think it sounds like virus, trojan, spyware ! but i have the same
problem on 3 different systems, not connected to the net, not connected
one to each other, different hardwares, different Vista Editions - and i
can reproduce the problem directly after initial installation of Vista
and BEFORE i put another CD/DVD/FLOPPY/MEMORYSTICK/etc. into the system
but the Vista-DVD.

So virus, trojan, spyware could only be Vista self.

===

But please Ben, check if YOUR Vista is OK or if you will suffer as i
do. Try it that way (with Vista Final, and NOT with a Beta or RC-x
release !). The full test takes about 8 – 12 minutes on a FAST
machine ( just to copy about 16'500 files by 1 byte each, so to
transfer a total of about 15 KB ):

- make a new directory somewhere on your harddisk

- open Notepad and immediatley save in your new directory (the Notepad
.txt file can be empty or not)

- select that saved Notepad .txt file with Vista Explorer

- do exactly the following 16 times - it will take longer and loger any
time ( up to MINUTES in the last cycle - just to copy a handful of bytes
!!! that's Vista !!! ):

- ctrl-a ctrl-c ctrl-v (Select all files in the directory, copy them,
paste them).

When you get into the same problem as i (and others) then you should
re-boot your system after that test.

Please let me know, Ben, what your results are on that test !

simmons

--
simmons
simmons's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=22438
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=685888

http://forums.techarena.in

Max Norris

Re: Not enough memory to complete this operation
Has any fixes been made available for this yet?

I can reproduce this error every time. Right now I'm working around it by
using a 3rd party file manager when I need to move a lot of files. Using
Total Commander, but most will work if they bypass Explorer's file copy
system. Explorer is also just rediculiously slow copying files too, even
just one big one.

I can't believe this didn't get fixed in beta...

"simmons" <simmons.2mjmfu@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Hello Ben
>
> Thank you for your answer. i do NOT know anything about that patch -
> also i do NOT know if the patch is from Microsoft.
>
> You think it sounds like virus, trojan, spyware ! but i have the same
> problem on 3 different systems, not connected to the net, not connected
> one to each other, different hardwares, different Vista Editions - and i
> can reproduce the problem directly after initial installation of Vista
> and BEFORE i put another CD/DVD/FLOPPY/MEMORYSTICK/etc. into the system
> but the Vista-DVD.
>
> So virus, trojan, spyware could only be Vista self.
>
> ===
>
> But please Ben, check if YOUR Vista is OK or if you will suffer as i
> do. Try it that way (with Vista Final, and NOT with a Beta or RC-x
> release !). The full test takes about 8 – 12 minutes on a FAST
> machine ( just to copy about 16'500 files by 1 byte each, so to
> transfer a total of about 15 KB ):
>
> - make a new directory somewhere on your harddisk
>
> - open Notepad and immediatley save in your new directory (the Notepad
> txt file can be empty or not)
>
> - select that saved Notepad .txt file with Vista Explorer
>
> - do exactly the following 16 times - it will take longer and loger any
> time ( up to MINUTES in the last cycle - just to copy a handful of bytes
> !!! that's Vista !!! ):
>
> - ctrl-a ctrl-c ctrl-v (Select all files in the directory, copy them,
> paste them).
>
> When you get into the same problem as i (and others) then you should
> re-boot your system after that test.
>
> Please let me know, Ben, what your results are on that test !
>
> simmons
>

> --
> simmons
> simmons's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=22438
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=685888
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

simmons

Re: Not enough memory to complete this operation

Hello Max Norris - and others experiancing this kind of problem

I try to isolate the problem - that's not an easy task ! Some people do
NOT have the problem, some others dont. So please help and give some
more info's:

- how exactly can you reproduce - please give a "step by step"
instruction

- what is your hardware

- what is your Vista exactly - Final, Beta etc; Home ... Ultimate;
Language / Naturalization (THIS one could be VERY important !)

- tell something about your choice of indexing

- tell something about your choice of Vista Explorer Options (Classic,
Hidden Files, Waste Basket, ...)

Please reply as soon as possible. Please check here for more
Info-Requirements form time to time.

Here another Forum where we are discussing about that issue:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1162423

There are other forums also looking for answers ... and where athers
users report the same kind of problem.

Tank you - simmons

--
simmons
simmons's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=22438
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=685888

http://forums.techarena.in

simmons

Re: Not enough memory to complete this operation

Hello Max Norris - and all others suffering on the same issue

i think i have found the bug - the probable guilty one is informed, is
verifying, and promessed to feedback very soon to me - as soon as i
have this Verification i will inform here.

It's for shure i will tell within the next 12 hours what's going on -
what to do - for what to wait.

Please be patient - as act of fairness to a company with a good
product.

simmons

--
simmons
simmons's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=22438
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=685888

http://forums.techarena.in

Max Norris

Re: Not enough memory to complete this operation
Heya --

Ahh nice if you've found it, it's an obnoxious lil bugger of a bug. I know
it's just Explorer but after that.. no idea. (And I know its to be
expected.. hey XP went thru the initial growing phase as well.. count me in
among the original bunch of "XP is buggy and slow, I'll stay with 95 thank
you")

Anyway, to answer your question.

Using Vista Ultimate, final, US version. The system is a hair dated, but no
slouch. Athlon XP 3200+, 1.5GB RAM, nVidia nForce2 chipset, ATI Radeon X850
video, Creative Labs Audigy 2 (using 3rd party audio drivers as Creative's
are nowhere near ready for primetime yet)

I have disabled indexing entirely, along with a few other services that I
really won't get much use out of. (Nice feature but I dont use it much and
it's just slowing my system down.) Hidden files are still hidden, waste
basket is disabled. (Not shown, and deleted files are just deleted) I have
protection turned on still though. Swap file is on a seperate drive with
its own little partition.

As far as reproducing this problem, it's pretty easy. I have a lot of
programming source code floating around in a Development directory, which I
copied off onto one of my Win2K servers while I redid my system with Vista
(fresh install) There's a few dozen sub-folders, and thousands of files. All
I need to do is do a drag-and-drop copy off my server onto my Vista system.
The copy starts off ok, gets slower and slower, and eventually Explorer dies
with an out of memory error. (Altho monitoring my memory.. its not running
out) A message I read somewhere had a different approach. Make a blank text
file and save it in an empty folder. Copy and paste it. Select both, copy
and paste. Keep selecting all and copy/pasting. You'll see the performance
drop like a rock after a few times.

This *only* happens in Explorer though. If I use Total Commander (or
another 3rd party file manager that doesn't use Explorer to move files
around), it runs just fine and with a decent speed. (Not as fast as XP but
I'll chalk that up to immature Vista drivers, I can live with it till
they're more polished.)

This Explorer issue aside, I got Vista running rather smoothly, and very
happy with its performance now. Aside from Creative Labs dragging their feet
with drivers (and ZoneLabs.. but I'm using Kaspersky now and not looking
back) and this Explorer issue it's running great.

> Hello Max Norris - and all others suffering on the same issue
>
> i think i have found the bug - the probable guilty one is informed, is
> verifying, and promessed to feedback very soon to me - as soon as i
> have this Verification i will inform here.
>
> It's for shure i will tell within the next 12 hours what's going on -
> what to do - for what to wait.
>
> Please be patient - as act of fairness to a company with a good
> product.
>
> simmons
>

> --
> simmons
> simmons's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=22438
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=685888
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

simmons

Re: Not enough memory to complete this operation

John, Ben, Max - and all the others suffering on the same problem

yes or no: do you use Kaspersky ? Please reply NOW !!!

simmons

--
simmons
simmons's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=22438
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=685888

http://forums.techarena.in

maxnorris

Re: Not enough memory to complete this operation

Yes, I'm using Kaspersky, version 6.0.2.614, hotfix A. (I used to use
NOD32, which I know is Vista ready, but also used ZoneAlarm, which is
not.)

Think it may be a Kaspersky glitch? My original data is still backed
up on another machine just in case things blow up, but I'll uninstall
it and see if the memory glitch still happens.

--
maxnorris
maxnorris's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=22593