Vista public files location problem

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iIEphcw==?=

Vista public files location problem
I have a C-drive (160GB) for my programs and a D-drive (400GB) for my
pictures, music etc...

I want to save my pictures and music in the public file for pictures and
music. However this file is per definition on the C-drive and I cannot change
the location. I have tried to do so by using Properties/Location. It is not
possible to change the location.

What is the best procedure to follow to get my music and pictures on the
D-drive for public access?
Kerry Brown

Re: Vista public files location problem
Create a folder on the D: drive. Change the NTFS permissions so that
everyone can access it. Share the folder.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...share+a+folder

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Rob Jas" <Rob Jas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a C-drive (160GB) for my programs and a D-drive (400GB) for my
> pictures, music etc...
>
> I want to save my pictures and music in the public file for pictures and
> music. However this file is per definition on the C-drive and I cannot
> change
> the location. I have tried to do so by using Properties/Location. It is
> not
> possible to change the location.
>
> What is the best procedure to follow to get my music and pictures on the
> D-drive for public access?

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Re: Vista public files location problem
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 03:26:08 -0800, Rob Jas <Rob

>I have a C-drive (160GB) for my programs and a D-drive (400GB) for my
>pictures, music etc...

>I want to save my pictures and music in the public file for pictures and
>music. However this file is per definition on the C-drive and I cannot change
>the location. I have tried to do so by using Properties/Location. It is not
>possible to change the location.

>What is the best procedure to follow to get my music and pictures on the
>D-drive for public access?

This is a long-standing bone of contention, going back to the days of
XP Gold. You can edit the paths in the registry, but the edits don't
"stick"; sooner or later it re-duhfaults to C: again.

I haven't tried again in Vista, but if I had to, I'd try rt-dragging
the relevant subtrees to the other volume, choosing Move on releasing
the mouse button, then rename to taste.

I suspect it won't work, tho. MS just doesn't "get" multiple HD
volumes, even if they did create the feature back in the 1980s.

>--------------- ---- --- -- - - - -

Saws are too hard to use.
Be easier to use!
>--------------- ---- --- -- - - - -

Keith Miller MVP

Re: Vista public files location problem
If you haven't already created the folders you want to be Public Music &
Public Pictures on your D: drive, do so. Make sure you give all users
appropriate permissions.

Close all explorer windows.

Start Search -> type: regedit -> right-click RegEdit & select 'Run as
Administrator'

Navigate to:

"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ex plorer\User Shell Folders"

In the right-hand pane, edit the values named CommonMusic & CommonPictures,
typing the path to your new folders.

Logoff, Shutdown & restart the computer.

To check your reassignment & assign custom icons, open the 'Run...' dialog
<WinKey+R> and type the following:

shell:commonmusic<Enter>

should open to your new public music folder. Likewise for
'shell:commonpictures'

In your G:\Users\Public' folder, 'Public Music' & 'Public Pictures' will
still appear, but they are ordinary folders now, as evidenced by the lack of
a 'Location' tab in their properties dialog. They can be deleted.

If you want users to be able to navigate to your new folders via the Public
folder, open a command prompt window and type the following:

cd %public%<Enter>
mklink /J "Public Pictures" "<pathToNewPublicPics>"
mklink /J "Public Music" "<pathToNewPublicMusic>"

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

"Rob Jas" <Rob Jas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a C-drive (160GB) for my programs and a D-drive (400GB) for my
> pictures, music etc...
>
> I want to save my pictures and music in the public file for pictures and
> music. However this file is per definition on the C-drive and I cannot
> change
> the location. I have tried to do so by using Properties/Location. It is
> not
> possible to change the location.
>
> What is the best procedure to follow to get my music and pictures on the
> D-drive for public access?

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Re: Vista public files location problem
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 08:38:41 -0800, "Kerry Brown"

>Create a folder on the D: drive. Change the NTFS permissions so that
>everyone can access it. Share the folder.

Not the same thing - he wants to redirect the "Shared" or "All Users"
shell folder behaviors to the location, so that all things that
automatically latch onto those locations will be redirected too.

We need a real answer to this one - even if it's only "oops, MS didn't
think of that one" or "construction is still in progress".

>--------------- ---- --- -- - - - -

Saws are too hard to use.
Be easier to use!

Kerry Brown

Re: Vista public files location problem
I knew what he was trying to do. I don't know if it's possible. What I
posted is a workaround :-)

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User