Indexing not working

=?Utf-8?B?c3dzZWFyY3k=?=

Indexing not working
I am using Vista preloaded on a Dell XP 410. For the most part the system is
working well. However, indexing isn't working. Whenever I open Indexing
Options from the control panel, it shows that 0 items have been indexed and
that "Index is performing maintenance." In this state I cannot force a
rebuild of the index.

In this state, I can add a new location, but I need to restart the Windows
Search service for the change to take affect.

What can I do?
Thanks,
Scott
=?Utf-8?B?c3dzZWFyY3k=?=

RE: Indexing not working
I also just noted hat the Administrative event log is filled with 3090 events
that say "The gatherer files from the previous checkpoint cannot be restored,
and this action cannot be completed. The gatherer will attempt to restore the
files again. If the problem persists, restart the service, free system
resources or verify that your hardware is working properly.

Context: Windows Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:
The content index server cannot update or access information because of a
database error. Stop and restart the search service. If the problem
persists, reset and recrawl the content index. In some cases it may be
necessary to delete and recreate the content index. (0x8004117f)"

How do you delete and recreate the content index?
Thanks,
Scott

"swsearcy" wrote:

> I am using Vista preloaded on a Dell XP 410. For the most part the system is
> working well. However, indexing isn't working. Whenever I open Indexing
> Options from the control panel, it shows that 0 items have been indexed and
> that "Index is performing maintenance." In this state I cannot force a
> rebuild of the index.
>
> In this state, I can add a new location, but I need to restart the Windows
> Search service for the change to take affect.
>
> What can I do?
> Thanks,
> Scott

=?Utf-8?B?c3dzZWFyY3k=?=

RE: Indexing not working
I found a refernce the the index on a sharepoint site and through a little
registry investigation believe I found the Vista Search content index to be
c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\ Windows\Windows.edb. So I
stopped the Windows Search service and deleted the file. Oddly, the service
started back up on its own and started recreating the index and all the logs.
At this moment, it looks like it is working again, I hope.
Scott

Old XP Indexing vs New Vista Search bvandew microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 13 04-24-2007 21:15
Mail-Indexing not working properly =?Utf-8?B?U2hyZWs=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 4 03-01-2007 02:24
Folder tree indexing. Useful and not resources eater! =?Utf-8?B?ZWZydWE=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 1 02-28-2007 14:15
Long Indexing Process after each logon =?Utf-8?B?UFVBVg==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 0 02-28-2007 14:14
Vista not indexing particular folder =?Utf-8?B?UmFqZXNo?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 0 02-28-2007 14:14