How do I get Explorer to open to a specific folder?

=?Utf-8?B?QWJlIEtsYWdzYnJ1bg==?=

How do I get Explorer to open to a specific folder?
In Win XP, I used the /e parameter to open Explorer to C:\. This doesn't
work in Vista. How do I do the same thing in Vista?
Ty

Re: How do I get Explorer to open to a specific folder?
The parameter doesn't work for me either, but Windows Key plus 'E' works.

"Abe Klagsbrun" <AbeKlagsbrun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In Win XP, I used the /e parameter to open Explorer to C:\. This doesn't
> work in Vista. How do I do the same thing in Vista?

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: How do I get Explorer to open to a specific folder?
Both these commands work fine here.

explorer.exe /e, c:
explorer.exe c:

--
Regards,

"Abe Klagsbrun" <AbeKlagsbrun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F225087E-C6B1-4678-8B0E-A35AEE022D1E@microsoft.com...
In Win XP, I used the /e parameter to open Explorer to C:\. This doesn't
work in Vista. How do I do the same thing in Vista?
=?Utf-8?B?YnJhZGVydW5uYQ==?=

Re: How do I get Explorer to open to a specific folder?
How do I get Explorer from right-click Start to change default directory. I
have a shortcut Explorer icon on my desktop that goes where I want but I
wish to change the one under the Start menu via right-click. ???

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Both these commands work fine here.
>
> explorer.exe /e, c:
> explorer.exe c:
>
> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>

> "Abe Klagsbrun" <AbeKlagsbrun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F225087E-C6B1-4678-8B0E-A35AEE022D1E@microsoft.com...
> In Win XP, I used the /e parameter to open Explorer to C:\. This doesn't
> work in Vista. How do I do the same thing in Vista?

Keith Miller MVP

Re: How do I get Explorer to open to a specific folder?
When you right-click the Start button & select 'Explore', you are telling
Windows to explore the Start Menu. If you right-clicked your Documents,
selected 'Explore', and a folder other than Documents was opened, you'd
consider it a bug, wouldn't you?

If you want to access a certain folder without having to minimize all
windows, place a shortcut to that folder in the Quicklaunch toolbar or add
the folder to the taskbar as a toolbar.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

"braderunna" <braderunna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I get Explorer from right-click Start to change default directory.
> have a shortcut Explorer icon on my desktop that goes where I want but I
> wish to change the one under the Start menu via right-click. ???
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Both these commands work fine here.
>>
>> explorer.exe /e, c:
>> explorer.exe c:
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
>> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>>

>> "Abe Klagsbrun" <AbeKlagsbrun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> In Win XP, I used the /e parameter to open Explorer to C:\. This doesn't
>> work in Vista. How do I do the same thing in Vista?

mbscjohnp

Re: How do I get Explorer to open to a specific folder?
Keith: I had the registry locations in XP of the "Right Click Start Menu" so
I could set the "Explore" and "Explore All" folder location to which they
would default, other than the "Start Menu." I am unable to locate the ROOT
location for these entries in Vista, as I wish both to change the default
folder and remove a McAfee "Scan" shortcut that has somehow been added to
this "Right Click Start Menu" without my interaction. I know how to change
the "Explorer Shortcut," but I don't use it much and don't wish to add
directive "shortcuts" into my Quick Start area. I use the all of the "Right
Click" menus most of the time and don't wish to go to the "Start Menu"
folder, but the one that I designate. Please advise the ROOT location for
these entries. Thank you!

"Keith Miller MVP" wrote:

> When you right-click the Start button & select 'Explore', you are telling
> Windows to explore the Start Menu. If you right-clicked your Documents,
> selected 'Explore', and a folder other than Documents was opened, you'd
> consider it a bug, wouldn't you?
>
> If you want to access a certain folder without having to minimize all
> windows, place a shortcut to that folder in the Quicklaunch toolbar or add
> the folder to the taskbar as a toolbar.
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>
> "braderunna" <braderunna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do I get Explorer from right-click Start to change default directory.
> > have a shortcut Explorer icon on my desktop that goes where I want but I
> > wish to change the one under the Start menu via right-click. ???
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Both these commands work fine here.
> >>
> >> explorer.exe /e, c:
> >> explorer.exe c:
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
> >> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
> >>

> >> "Abe Klagsbrun" <AbeKlagsbrun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> In Win XP, I used the /e parameter to open Explorer to C:\. This doesn't
> >> work in Vista. How do I do the same thing in Vista?

Leo

Re: How do I get Explorer to open to a specific folder?
Configure Windows Explorer
My Computer" highlighted in left side with all drives visible but not
expanded and C: highlighted in right side: %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe
/e,/select,c:

Desktop highlighted and nothing expanded: %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe
/e,/n,/select,/root,c:

All drives visible and the system drive highlighted and expanded in full
screen: %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,/select

All drives visible and the system drive expanded in small screen:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,/select,%systemroot%

Only Windows Directory visible highlighted and expanded:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,/root,%systemroot%

All drives visible but only C: highlighted and expanded:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,c:

Nothing expanded and My Computer highlighted in right side:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n,/e,/select,

Opens the Windows folder as a folder: %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe %systemroot%

Opens as "My Computer": %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe %systemroot%,

This opens the Desktop folder with "My Computer" highlighted:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe %systemroot%,/select,

"Desktop" highlighted in the left side and no drives visible:

%systemroot%\explorer.exe
/e,/root,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D},/select

"My Computer" highlighted in left side and all drives visible but none
expanded:

%systemroot%\explorer.exe /e,/root,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

"Desktop" in left side highlighted and "My Computer" highlighted in right
side and no drives visible:

%systemroot%\explorer.exe /e,/select,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D

--
Leo

Keeping an open mind is a virtue, but not so open that your brains fall out.
-- James Oberg

"mbscjohnp" <mbscjohnp@discussion.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Keith: I had the registry locations in XP of the "Right Click Start Menu"
> so
> I could set the "Explore" and "Explore All" folder location to which they
> would default, other than the "Start Menu." I am unable to locate the
> ROOT
> location for these entries in Vista, as I wish both to change the default
> folder and remove a McAfee "Scan" shortcut that has somehow been added to
> this "Right Click Start Menu" without my interaction. I know how to
> change
> the "Explorer Shortcut," but I don't use it much and don't wish to add
> directive "shortcuts" into my Quick Start area. I use the all of the
> "Right
> Click" menus most of the time and don't wish to go to the "Start Menu"
> folder, but the one that I designate. Please advise the ROOT location for
> these entries. Thank you!
>
> "Keith Miller MVP" wrote:
>
>> When you right-click the Start button & select 'Explore', you are telling
>> Windows to explore the Start Menu. If you right-clicked your Documents,
>> selected 'Explore', and a folder other than Documents was opened, you'd
>> consider it a bug, wouldn't you?
>>
>> If you want to access a certain folder without having to minimize all
>> windows, place a shortcut to that folder in the Quicklaunch toolbar or
>> add
>> the folder to the taskbar as a toolbar.
>>

>> --
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Keith
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>>
>> "braderunna" <braderunna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > How do I get Explorer from right-click Start to change default
>> > directory.
>> > have a shortcut Explorer icon on my desktop that goes where I want but
>> > wish to change the one under the Start menu via right-click. ???

mbscjohnp

Re: How do I get Explorer to open to a specific folder?
Thanks Leo, but not what I was asking for. I am familiar with your
suggestion. I want the location of the registry entries for the "Right Click
Start Menu." I had them for XP, but can't find them in Vista. I need to
also remove a McAfee "Scan" shortcut that was added to this menu without my
input and the only way that can be done is to edit the registry entry that
places it there. The "Right Click Start Menu" is my way of entering
Explorer, as it is with many other Windows users. Right Click menus are the
way to maneuver in Windows and they are editable in the registry, if one can
find the entry, just like you can remove the name of the Recycle Bin on the
desktop (what a waste of space for something that is readily identifiable
without a name tag underneath). Thanks anyway for your reply.