I can nto create a shortcut

nicholas hall

I can nto create a shortcut
I do not know why but when I right click and select new shortcut nothing
happens.
As this is the first time I have tried to create a shortcut I do not know
when or what I did to cause it, or maybe it is not what I have done?

Any help, info or advice would be gratefully received.

NIK

R. C. White, MVP

Re: I can nto create a shortcut
Hi, NIK.

When you right-click, WHERE ARE YOU?

If you right-click on the Desktop, you should get the pop-up context menu
with several choices, including New, with an arrow that pops up a sub-menu
allowing you to choose between New Folder and New Shortcut.

It that doesn't work, please post back and tell us more specifically HOW you
are trying to create the shortcut. There are many ways to create a
shortcut, but they depend on where you are when you start the process and we
don't want to have to write a book covering all the possibilities. You
could just go to the Help file to see all that.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"nicholas hall" <niknik1971NOSPAM@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>I do not know why but when I right click and select new shortcut nothing
>happens.
> As this is the first time I have tried to create a shortcut I do not know
> when or what I did to cause it, or maybe it is not what I have done?
>
> Any help, info or advice would be gratefully received.
>
> NIK

nicholas hall

Re: I can nto create a shortcut
I have been trying to create shortcuts on my desktop and in my documents
folder as well.

To try and create a shortcut I right click the mouse and go to new and then
shortcut.
.... nothing happens.

I have been using computers now for over five years and I have attained
quite a bit of knowledge in that time, but this is the first time this sort
of thing has happened to me and I am stumped.

So any help would be great.

NIK

"R. C. White, MVP" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
> Hi, NIK.
>
> When you right-click, WHERE ARE YOU?
>
> If you right-click on the Desktop, you should get the pop-up context menu
> with several choices, including New, with an arrow that pops up a sub-menu
> allowing you to choose between New Folder and New Shortcut.
>
> It that doesn't work, please post back and tell us more specifically HOW
> you are trying to create the shortcut. There are many ways to create a
> shortcut, but they depend on where you are when you start the process and
> we don't want to have to write a book covering all the possibilities. You
> could just go to the Help file to see all that.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Mail in Vista Ultimate x64)
>

> "nicholas hall" <niknik1971NOSPAM@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>I do not know why but when I right click and select new shortcut nothing
>>happens.
>> As this is the first time I have tried to create a shortcut I do not know
>> when or what I did to cause it, or maybe it is not what I have done?
>>
>> Any help, info or advice would be gratefully received.
>>
>> NIK

\LG\

>I have been trying to create shortcuts on my desktop and in my documents
>folder as well.
>
> To try and create a shortcut I right click the mouse and go to new and
> then shortcut.
> ... nothing happens.

In the start menu right click on the executable. On the menu it says "send
to desktop (create shortcut)".

nicholas hall

Re: I can nto create a shortcut
That works fine, but I would like to be able to do the right click, new,
shortcut method.
I wonder if there is a reg problem that is stopping that method?

NIK

""LG"" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> "nicholas hall" <niknik1971NOSPAM@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>I have been trying to create shortcuts on my desktop and in my documents
>>folder as well.
>>
>> To try and create a shortcut I right click the mouse and go to new and
>> then shortcut.
>> ... nothing happens.

> In the start menu right click on the executable. On the menu it says "send
> to desktop (create shortcut)".

\LG\

> That works fine, but I would like to be able to do the right click, new,
> shortcut method.
> I wonder if there is a reg problem that is stopping that method?

It should be creating the shortcut and it is probably putting it into the
existing folder. You can move it manually anywhere you want it.

marty

Re: I can nto create a shortcut
Works for me. Create shortcut on the Desktop by right click - New and then
move the shortcut to another folder if you wish.

"nicholas hall" <niknik1971NOSPAM@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> That works fine, but I would like to be able to do the right click, new,
> shortcut method.
> I wonder if there is a reg problem that is stopping that method?
>
> NIK
>
> ""LG"" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "nicholas hall" <niknik1971NOSPAM@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>>I have been trying to create shortcuts on my desktop and in my documents
>>>folder as well.
>>>
>>> To try and create a shortcut I right click the mouse and go to new and
>>> then shortcut.
>>> ... nothing happens.

>> In the start menu right click on the executable. On the menu it says
>> "send to desktop (create shortcut)".

nicholas hall

Re: I can nto create a shortcut
Already tried that without any joy?

That is why I think it is a REG problem.

NIK

"marty" <martyfelker@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Works for me. Create shortcut on the Desktop by right click - New and
> then move the shortcut to another folder if you wish.
>
> "nicholas hall" <niknik1971NOSPAM@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> That works fine, but I would like to be able to do the right click, new,
>> shortcut method.
>> I wonder if there is a reg problem that is stopping that method?
>>
>> NIK
>>
>> ""LG"" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "nicholas hall" <niknik1971NOSPAM@btinternet.com> wrote in message

>>> In the start menu right click on the executable. On the menu it says
>>> "send to desktop (create shortcut)".

Keith Miller MVP

Re: I can nto create a shortcut
Have you tried:

Open the 'Run...' dialog <WinKey+R>

copy & paste the following command:

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

Always fixed a multitude of problems in XP :-)

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

> Already tried that without any joy?
>
> That is why I think it is a REG problem.
>
> NIK
>
> "marty" <martyfelker@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Works for me. Create shortcut on the Desktop by right click - New and
>> then move the shortcut to another folder if you wish.
>>
>> "nicholas hall" <niknik1971NOSPAM@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>> That works fine, but I would like to be able to do the right click, new,
>>> shortcut method.
>>> I wonder if there is a reg problem that is stopping that method?
>>>
>>> NIK

nicholas hall

Re: I can nto create a shortcut
Keith do I need to reboot after doing this?

NIK