Offline Files

Jeffrey S. Sparks

Offline Files
I keep getting an error when trying to sync offline files. "The process
cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

I have never been able to get offline files to work in Vista (business
edition) but it worked fine in XP pro? These are just documents from a
variety of different sources. I can see the files and folders listed
offline but can't actually open them offline.
They are stored on a windows 2003 SBS Server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Offline Files
I'm checking on this for you with the Offline Files team.

"Jeffrey S. Sparks" <jssparks@bccinfo.com> wrote in message
news714FB4D-9328-4B2A-BDB3-A86506153CCC@microsoft.com...
>I keep getting an error when trying to sync offline files. "The process
>cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."
>
> I have never been able to get offline files to work in Vista (business
> edition) but it worked fine in XP pro? These are just documents from a
> variety of different sources. I can see the files and folders listed
> offline but can't actually open them offline.
> They are stored on a windows 2003 SBS Server.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Jeff

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Offline Files
The error you're seeing is self-explanatory--something is holding the file
open. What file is it?

When you say that you can't actually open files offline, do you get an
error? What happens exactly?

"Jeffrey S. Sparks" <jssparks@bccinfo.com> wrote in message
news714FB4D-9328-4B2A-BDB3-A86506153CCC@microsoft.com...
>I keep getting an error when trying to sync offline files. "The process
>cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."
>
> I have never been able to get offline files to work in Vista (business
> edition) but it worked fine in XP pro? These are just documents from a
> variety of different sources. I can see the files and folders listed
> offline but can't actually open them offline.
> They are stored on a windows 2003 SBS Server.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Jeff

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Offline Files
Does the server happen to be a NAS device?

"Jeffrey S. Sparks" <jssparks@bccinfo.com> wrote in message
news714FB4D-9328-4B2A-BDB3-A86506153CCC@microsoft.com...
>I keep getting an error when trying to sync offline files. "The process
>cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."
>
> I have never been able to get offline files to work in Vista (business
> edition) but it worked fine in XP pro? These are just documents from a
> variety of different sources. I can see the files and folders listed
> offline but can't actually open them offline.
> They are stored on a windows 2003 SBS Server.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Jeff

Jeffrey S. Sparks

Re: Offline Files
No, it's a server (asus tusl Motherboard, 1 gb ram, raid array, etc) running
Windows small business server 2003.

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does the server happen to be a NAS device?

> rights.
>
> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "Jeffrey S. Sparks" <jssparks@bccinfo.com> wrote in message
> news714FB4D-9328-4B2A-BDB3-A86506153CCC@microsoft.com...
>>I keep getting an error when trying to sync offline files. "The process
>>cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."
>>
>> I have never been able to get offline files to work in Vista (business
>> edition) but it worked fine in XP pro? These are just documents from a
>> variety of different sources. I can see the files and folders listed
>> offline but can't actually open them offline.
>> They are stored on a windows 2003 SBS Server.
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Jeff

Jeffrey S. Sparks

Re: Offline Files
The network share is on a server called alpha for which I have full control
of this folder:

\\alpha\home_folders$\jssparks

I mapped the share to my laptop as drive z:

I right clicked on documents, selected location and chose z: and elected to
move all of the files.

I then turned on offline files for that folder after which it says preparing
files so they are always available offline.

I get a TON of errors (like 543 errors) saying the same thing for every
single file. "The process cannot access the file because it is being used
by another process."

When I looked at the offline files control panel applet (control panel >
Networking > Offline files) It shows the correct amount of space being used.
When I'm offline I can see all the folders and files in explorer but when I
try to open one it says the file is currently unavailable for use on this
computer. I get the same error no matter which file i try to open while
offline. They are a variety of type of documents (word 2003, excel, pdf,
tif, gif files, etc...)

Jeff

> The error you're seeing is self-explanatory--something is holding the file
> open. What file is it?
>
> When you say that you can't actually open files offline, do you get an
> error? What happens exactly?

> rights.
>
> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "Jeffrey S. Sparks" <jssparks@bccinfo.com> wrote in message
> news714FB4D-9328-4B2A-BDB3-A86506153CCC@microsoft.com...
>>I keep getting an error when trying to sync offline files. "The process
>>cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."
>>
>> I have never been able to get offline files to work in Vista (business
>> edition) but it worked fine in XP pro? These are just documents from a
>> variety of different sources. I can see the files and folders listed
>> offline but can't actually open them offline.
>> They are stored on a windows 2003 SBS Server.
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Jeff

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Offline Files
I'm checking with the Offline Files team. I've seen reports of this error
for a NAS server but not SBS.

> No, it's a server (asus tusl Motherboard, 1 gb ram, raid array, etc)
> running Windows small business server 2003.
>

> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Does the server happen to be a NAS device?

>> rights.
>>
>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
>> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>>

>> "Jeffrey S. Sparks" <jssparks@bccinfo.com> wrote in message
>> news714FB4D-9328-4B2A-BDB3-A86506153CCC@microsoft.com...
>>>I keep getting an error when trying to sync offline files. "The process
>>>cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."
>>>
>>> I have never been able to get offline files to work in Vista (business
>>> edition) but it worked fine in XP pro? These are just documents from a
>>> variety of different sources. I can see the files and folders listed
>>> offline but can't actually open them offline.
>>> They are stored on a windows 2003 SBS Server.
>>>
>>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Jeff

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Offline Files
Here's what we think is happening. When you redirect your My Documents
folder, those files are automatically cached (made available offline).
Because you then try to mark them available as offline, we think these two
sync operations are fighting each other for access to the files. You
shouldn't need to mark them available as offline--just let folder
redirection complete. Normally the "always available offline" option in the
UI is disabled when the folder is pinned by Folder Redirection. If you were
able to select it we suspect that folder redirection hadn't yet pinned it
(race condition).

Let me know if this works for you.

> The network share is on a server called alpha for which I have full
> control of this folder:
>
> \\alpha\home_folders$\jssparks
>
> I mapped the share to my laptop as drive z:
>
> I right clicked on documents, selected location and chose z: and elected
> to move all of the files.
>
> I then turned on offline files for that folder after which it says
> preparing files so they are always available offline.
>
> I get a TON of errors (like 543 errors) saying the same thing for every
> single file. "The process cannot access the file because it is being used
> by another process."
>
> When I looked at the offline files control panel applet (control panel >
> Networking > Offline files) It shows the correct amount of space being
> used. When I'm offline I can see all the folders and files in explorer but
> when I try to open one it says the file is currently unavailable for use
> on this computer. I get the same error no matter which file i try to open
> while offline. They are a variety of type of documents (word 2003, excel,
> pdf, tif, gif files, etc...)
>
> Jeff
>
> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> The error you're seeing is self-explanatory--something is holding the
>> file open. What file is it?
>>
>> When you say that you can't actually open files offline, do you get an
>> error? What happens exactly?

>> rights.
>>
>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
>> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>>

>> "Jeffrey S. Sparks" <jssparks@bccinfo.com> wrote in message
>> news714FB4D-9328-4B2A-BDB3-A86506153CCC@microsoft.com...
>>>I keep getting an error when trying to sync offline files. "The process
>>>cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."
>>>
>>> I have never been able to get offline files to work in Vista (business
>>> edition) but it worked fine in XP pro? These are just documents from a
>>> variety of different sources. I can see the files and folders listed
>>> offline but can't actually open them offline.
>>> They are stored on a windows 2003 SBS Server.
>>>
>>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Jeff

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Offline Files
How long are you waiting following the redirection? It takes time for those
files to be added to the cache. The progress of that redirection sync is
not reported through Sync Center.

> Ok, i started out with the documents in my documents folder on my laptop.
> I deleted the Mapped drive to the server folder and then told it to move
> the documents folder to \\alpha\home_folders$\jssparks.
>
> It moved them, synced and there were no errors. However, the files are
> still not available offline. If I select "work offline" or just unplug
> the network cable all of the icons for the files grey out and won't open.
>
> Jeff
>

> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Here's what we think is happening. When you redirect your My Documents
>> folder, those files are automatically cached (made available offline).
>> Because you then try to mark them available as offline, we think these
>> two sync operations are fighting each other for access to the files. You
>> shouldn't need to mark them available as offline--just let folder
>> redirection complete. Normally the "always available offline" option in
>> the UI is disabled when the folder is pinned by Folder Redirection. If
>> you were able to select it we suspect that folder redirection hadn't yet
>> pinned it (race condition).
>>
>> Let me know if this works for you.

>> rights.
>>
>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
>> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>>

>> "Jeffrey S. Sparks" <jssparks@bccinfo.com> wrote in message
>>> The network share is on a server called alpha for which I have full
>>> control of this folder:
>>>
>>> \\alpha\home_folders$\jssparks
>>>
>>> I mapped the share to my laptop as drive z:
>>>
>>> I right clicked on documents, selected location and chose z: and elected
>>> to move all of the files.
>>>
>>> I then turned on offline files for that folder after which it says
>>> preparing files so they are always available offline.
>>>
>>> I get a TON of errors (like 543 errors) saying the same thing for every
>>> single file. "The process cannot access the file because it is being
>>> used by another process."
>>>
>>> When I looked at the offline files control panel applet (control panel >
>>> Networking > Offline files) It shows the correct amount of space being
>>> used. When I'm offline I can see all the folders and files in explorer
>>> but when I try to open one it says the file is currently unavailable for
>>> use on this computer. I get the same error no matter which file i try
>>> to open while offline. They are a variety of type of documents (word
>>> 2003, excel, pdf, tif, gif files, etc...)
>>>
>>> Jeff

Jeffrey S. Sparks

Re: Offline Files
It's been a couple of hours now...