Sending files to another hard drive

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZQ==?=

Sending files to another hard drive
Hi everyone, how can i set my vista premium to right click a file to send it
to another H/D without having to copy, paste then delete old one or creating
a shortcut? i could do it in xp using norton systemworks, please help its
doing my head in???
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Sending files to another hard drive
Pete

Right click the file and select Move To Folder from the pop-up menu. Select
the location where you want to move the file and then click the Move Button.
You can move a single file or select a group of files to move.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Pete" <Pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone, how can i set my vista premium to right click a file to send
> it
> to another H/D without having to copy, paste then delete old one or
> creating
> a shortcut? i could do it in xp using norton systemworks, please help its
> doing my head in???

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZQ==?=

Re: Sending files to another hard drive
cheers ronnie but i dont have a "move to" on my menu when i right click, i
did on xp but not on vista. any more advise on how to change settings to do
it would be greatly appreciated. Pete.

""Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Pete
>
> Right click the file and select Move To Folder from the pop-up menu. Select
> the location where you want to move the file and then click the Move Button.
> You can move a single file or select a group of files to move.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Pete" <Pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi everyone, how can i set my vista premium to right click a file to send
> > it
> > to another H/D without having to copy, paste then delete old one or
> > creating
> > a shortcut? i could do it in xp using norton systemworks, please help its
> > doing my head in???

Jane C

Re: Sending files to another hard drive
Pete,

Open the folder where the file is, click on Organize, and select Layout,
Menu Bar. This will give you the File, Edit etc. Highlight the file that
you want to move, then click Edit, Move to Folder.

Accessing the Menu Bar is the only way I have found the Move to Folder
option. I haven't seen it anywhere on a right-click menu.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
> cheers ronnie but i dont have a "move to" on my menu when i right click, i
> did on xp but not on vista. any more advise on how to change settings to
> do
> it would be greatly appreciated. Pete.
>
> ""Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Pete
>>
>> Right click the file and select Move To Folder from the pop-up menu.
>> Select
>> the location where you want to move the file and then click the Move
>> Button.
>> You can move a single file or select a group of files to move.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Pete" <Pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi everyone, how can i set my vista premium to right click a file to
>> > send
>> > it
>> > to another H/D without having to copy, paste then delete old one or
>> > creating
>> > a shortcut? i could do it in xp using norton systemworks, please help
>> > its
>> > doing my head in???

Re: Sending files to another hard drive
It was a common tweak to move it to right click. It also caused several bugs
when on the r/c menu as it wasn't designed to be there.
"Jane C" <jellybean@NOSPAMxjgarage.org> wrote in message
> Pete,
>
> Open the folder where the file is, click on Organize, and select Layout,
> Menu Bar. This will give you the File, Edit etc. Highlight the file that
> you want to move, then click Edit, Move to Folder.
>
> Accessing the Menu Bar is the only way I have found the Move to Folder
> option. I haven't seen it anywhere on a right-click menu.
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
> "Pete" <Pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> cheers ronnie but i dont have a "move to" on my menu when i right click,
>> did on xp but not on vista. any more advise on how to change settings to
>> do
>> it would be greatly appreciated. Pete.
>>
>> ""Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>>
>>> Pete
>>>
>>> Right click the file and select Move To Folder from the pop-up menu.
>>> Select
>>> the location where you want to move the file and then click the Move
>>> Button.
>>> You can move a single file or select a group of files to move.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Ronnie Vernon
>>> Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows Shell/User

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Sending files to another hard drive
Pete

Sorry, I forgot that I added this function to the right click context menu
awhile back. If you wish to add Copy To and Move To on the right click menu,
perform the following.

Copy the text between the 2 lines. (Don't copy the lines)

-----------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\Con textMenuHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\Con textMenuHandlers\Copy To]
@="{C2FBB630-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\Con textMenuHandlers\Move To]
@="{C2FBB631-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

-----------------------------------

Open Notepad nad Paste the text. Save the file as copymove.reg to the
Desktop.

Go to the Desktop, right click the file and select Merge, click to OK the
merge.

Press F5 to refresh and this will add those items to the right click menu.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Pete" <Pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> cheers ronnie but i dont have a "move to" on my menu when i right click, i
> did on xp but not on vista. any more advise on how to change settings to
> do
> it would be greatly appreciated. Pete.
>
> ""Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Pete
>>
>> Right click the file and select Move To Folder from the pop-up menu.
>> Select
>> the location where you want to move the file and then click the Move
>> Button.
>> You can move a single file or select a group of files to move.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Pete" <Pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi everyone, how can i set my vista premium to right click a file to
>> > send
>> > it
>> > to another H/D without having to copy, paste then delete old one or
>> > creating
>> > a shortcut? i could do it in xp using norton systemworks, please help
>> > its
>> > doing my head in???

badBoyChronic

Re: Sending files to another hard drive
You already have the file infront of you you wish to move ,I would
just click on MyComputer again and open the drive you wish to move it
to and right click and at the same time drag it there .The short list
will come saying move here .To edit anything would take to much time
and its better just to learn the move ,that has been there for years ,
so when your computer crashes then you do not have to redo it time and
time again .

"Pete" wrote:
> Hi everyone, how can i set my vista premium to right click a
> file to send it
> to another H/D without having to copy, paste then delete old
> one or creating
> a shortcut? i could do it in xp using norton systemworks,
> please help its
> doing my head in???

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZQ==?=

Re: Sending files to another hard drive
Jane C Your a star, thank you, that way also gives me other options i didn't
know i good do. thanks all who helped.
Pete.

"Jane C" wrote:

> Pete,
>
> Open the folder where the file is, click on Organize, and select Layout,
> Menu Bar. This will give you the File, Edit etc. Highlight the file that
> you want to move, then click Edit, Move to Folder.
>
> Accessing the Menu Bar is the only way I have found the Move to Folder
> option. I haven't seen it anywhere on a right-click menu.
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
> "Pete" <Pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > cheers ronnie but i dont have a "move to" on my menu when i right click, i
> > did on xp but not on vista. any more advise on how to change settings to
> > do
> > it would be greatly appreciated. Pete.
> >
> > ""Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Pete
> >>
> >> Right click the file and select Move To Folder from the pop-up menu.
> >> Select
> >> the location where you want to move the file and then click the Move
> >> Button.
> >> You can move a single file or select a group of files to move.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Ronnie Vernon
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZQ==?=

Re: Sending files to another hard drive
Just done it and it worked, thanks Ronnie.
It makes things a lot easier for me.
Thanks again
Pete.

Glad this helped you.