how/where do I set the view folder by file type ?

=?Utf-8?B?Ym9i?=

how/where do I set the view folder by file type ?
In XP under view, you could set the view files by file type ... ie: in the MY
PICTURES folder I want to have all .jpg's grouped together, all bmp's grouped
etc.

where is this option in Vista ?

thanks,
Keith Miller MVP

Re: how/where do I set the view folder by file type ?
'Type' is not one of the default details for a picture folder, but it is
easily added.

In the header area of the right-hand pane (Name, Date taken, Tags, Size,
Rating), right-click and you have the option to select 'Type'. Add that &
then click on the new header to sort on that field.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

"bob" <bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In XP under view, you could set the view files by file type ... ie: in the
> MY
> PICTURES folder I want to have all .jpg's grouped together, all bmp's
> grouped
> etc.
>
> where is this option in Vista ?
>
> thanks,

Steve Urbach

Re: how/where do I set the view folder by file type ?
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 18:32:00 -0800, bob
<bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>In XP under view, you could set the view files by file type ... ie: in the MY
>PICTURES folder I want to have all .jpg's grouped together, all bmp's grouped
>etc.
>
>where is this option in Vista ?
>
>thanks,

The other half of your question (Sort)
<alt>V "sort by" "type" should work even if the old style menu bar is
not displayed.
=?Utf-8?B?Ym9i?=

Re: how/where do I set the view folder by file type ?
Thanks Steve !! ALT V did the trick.

thanks again,
bob

"Steve Urbach" wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 18:32:00 -0800, bob
> <bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >In XP under view, you could set the view files by file type ... ie: in the MY
> >PICTURES folder I want to have all .jpg's grouped together, all bmp's grouped
> >etc.
> >
> >where is this option in Vista ?
> >
> >thanks,

> The other half of your question (Sort)
> <alt>V "sort by" "type" should work even if the old style menu bar is
> not displayed.

Mika

Re: how/where do I set the view folder by file type ?
How can I add 'Type' as a default detail for a picture folder (and all
subfolders)?

Thanks,
Mika

"Keith Miller MVP" wrote:

> 'Type' is not one of the default details for a picture folder, but it is
> easily added.
>
> In the header area of the right-hand pane (Name, Date taken, Tags, Size,
> Rating), right-click and you have the option to select 'Type'. Add that &
> then click on the new header to sort on that field.
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>
> "bob" <bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In XP under view, you could set the view files by file type ... ie: in the
> > MY
> > PICTURES folder I want to have all .jpg's grouped together, all bmp's
> > grouped
> > etc.
> >
> > where is this option in Vista ?
> >
> > thanks,

Dave

Re: how/where do I set the view folder by file type ?
Right-click on one of the column headers... select "Type", or any of the
others.

"Mika" <Mika@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can I add 'Type' as a default detail for a picture folder (and all
> subfolders)?
>
> Thanks,
> Mika
>
> "Keith Miller MVP" wrote:
>
>> 'Type' is not one of the default details for a picture folder, but it is
>> easily added.
>>
>> In the header area of the right-hand pane (Name, Date taken, Tags, Size,
>> Rating), right-click and you have the option to select 'Type'. Add that
>> &
>> then click on the new header to sort on that field.
>>

>> --
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Keith
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>>
>> "bob" <bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > In XP under view, you could set the view files by file type ... ie: in
>> > the
>> > MY
>> > PICTURES folder I want to have all .jpg's grouped together, all bmp's
>> > grouped
>> > etc.
>> >
>> > where is this option in Vista ?
>> >
>> > thanks,

Mika

Re: how/where do I set the view folder by file type ?
Right-clicking and selecting 'Type' doesn't set it as a default detail for
picture folders. It only changes the current folder. I want to change all
present and future picture folders. There are dozens of different details
available when you right-click and select 'More...' I'd like customize the
picture folders, but there I have several thousand of them and doing it
manually... I don't think so. There has to be a way of editing the registry
or something to make the folder change global.