Icons change to white

bob b

Icons change to white
I have noticed that several short cuts I have added to the top of my "start"
menu have turned into just plain old white letter icons and have lost their
distinctive icons.

Is there a reason for this and can I get the icons back?

Thanks in advance. Bob

bob b

Re: Icons change to white
Actually I just noticed that the shortcuts I add don't work at all. So I
guess the question is "how do I add items to the top of the start menu?"

"bob b" <removebbrazie@knowledge1.com> wrote in message
>I have noticed that several short cuts I have added to the top of my
>"start" menu have turned into just plain old white letter icons and have
>lost their distinctive icons.
>
> Is there a reason for this and can I get the icons back?
>
> Thanks in advance. Bob

Location: London, UK
Azure is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Icons change to white
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob b View Post
Actually I just noticed that the shortcuts I add don't work at all. So I
guess the question is "how do I add items to the top of the start menu?"

"bob b" <removebbrazie@knowledge1.com> wrote in message
>I have noticed that several short cuts I have added to the top of my
>"start" menu have turned into just plain old white letter icons and have
>lost their distinctive icons.
>
> Is there a reason for this and can I get the icons back?
>
> Thanks in advance. Bob

I've experienced the same problems twice within last three months since installing the Vista Ultimate version. I reckon the Vista I installed is corrupt.

The icons may have changed to the non-functional 'white/blank icons' however the PROGRAMS/APPLICATIONS ARE STILL FUNCTIONAL. So you needn't unnecessarily attempt to reinstall the affected 'icons/shortcuts'.

Apparently searches indicate the 'icon cache' is corrupted. I suggest the second best solution to a quick fix is to manually create new shortcuts/links by copying from the original source file the shortcut points to.

If you want to replace the shortcuts/links under the 'Start-All Programs' you can access the icons by right clicking the 'Start button' and selecting 'open/explore all users'. From there simply make shortcuts from the original programs from C:\Program Files.

Hope that helps to an extent.

Regards, Mo (Azure)

Location: London, UK
Azure is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Icons change to white
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob b View Post
I have noticed that several short cuts I have added to the top of my "start"
menu have turned into just plain old white letter icons and have lost their
distinctive icons.

Is there a reason for this and can I get the icons back?

Thanks in advance. Bob

If you have created restore points (XP and Vista usually creates them on a regular basis), I suggest you restore to an earlier restore point. Worked fine with mine, brought back all the original icons and returned the relevant programmes fully functional.

Azure