'Documents and Settings' in XP is what in Vista?

=?Utf-8?B?RWlsZWVu?=

'Documents and Settings' in XP is what in Vista?
I have a program I have backed from my old computer running XP. To transfer
it to another computer I have to paste it to
C:\Documents and Settings\my name\Application Data.
Where to I find this in Vista?
Thanks.
=?Utf-8?B?RWlsZWVu?=

Re: 'Documents and Settings' in XP is what in Vista?
How do I 'take ownership'?

"Dale "Mad_Murdock" White" wrote:

> c:\users\myname\application data or appdata
>
> You might have to take ownership of the folder. Vista has this odd new thing
> it's done with permissions, even for admins.
>
> "Eileen" <Eileen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a program I have backed from my old computer running XP. To
> >transfer
> > it to another computer I have to paste it to
> > C:\Documents and Settings\my name\Application Data.
> > Where to I find this in Vista?
> > Thanks.

Jimmy Brush

Re: 'Documents and Settings' in XP is what in Vista?
The way permissions work hasn't changed in Vista.

Admins still have as much power as they had in XP.

What has changed is how much access PROGRAMS have to files and folders.

A program that doesn't prompt you for permission cannot use your
administrator power.

If you are having trouble accessing a file, you probably need to run the
program you are using "as administrator" by right-clicking it and clicking
Run As Administrator.

Changing file security settings on system files is not necessary and not
recommended.

--
- JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

=?Utf-8?B?RWlsZWVu?=

Re: 'Documents and Settings' in XP is what in Vista?
Thanks to all who gave suggestions. after much trial and error I did get my
info transferred to this computer. I already had 'full control', I just had
to find my program file in 'roaming'. Thanks again.

"Eileen" wrote:

> How do I 'take ownership'?
>
> "Dale "Mad_Murdock" White" wrote:
>
> > c:\users\myname\application data or appdata
> >
> > You might have to take ownership of the folder. Vista has this odd new thing
> > it's done with permissions, even for admins.
> >
> > "Eileen" <Eileen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have a program I have backed from my old computer running XP. To
> > >transfer
> > > it to another computer I have to paste it to
> > > C:\Documents and Settings\my name\Application Data.
> > > Where to I find this in Vista?
> > > Thanks.

Denise40

Re: 'Documents and Settings' in XP is what in Vista?
I still can't find this. I am wanting to d/l some files into my CS3 and I was
told I have to go into settings/users/app date/adobe etc and I have searched
and searched for this. Please anyone??

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> This folder is now located here:
>
> C:\Users\$USERNAME$\AppData\Roaming

Dave

Re: 'Documents and Settings' in XP is what in Vista?
The \AppData folder is hidden by default.
to see it, open Windows Explorer,
click on Organize - Folder and Search options- View
check "Show hidden files and folders"
Apply
Ok

close Windows Explorer and reopen it to see the change.