Installing older software

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBTY2h1bGVy?=

Installing older software
All of my business files and books are made in MSWorks 4.5 for Windows 95.
The newer versions of Works will not open up these files, so I've been
continuing to use MSWorks 4.5 on my XP computer. I've installed in on my new
Vista computer, but I can't make it run. If I try to open a file, it tries
to open it in Works version 8 which can't open the file. How do I get it to
run MSWorks 4.5?
=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBTY2h1bGVy?=

Re: Installing older software
You missed my point BobC. I also have been using Works 4.5 since it was
first released. I've never used any later version. The later versions will
not open the Works 4.5 files. I've installed Works 4.5 on my new Vista
Computer. I have not yet loaded any of my business files into it yet because
I can not get Works 4.5 to run. No matter what I do to open Works 4.5, the
computer takes over and runs Works 8 in its place.

"BobC" wrote:

> "Mike Schuler" <Mike Schuler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > All of my business files and books are made in MSWorks 4.5 for Windows 95.
> > The newer versions of Works will not open up these files, so I've been
> > continuing to use MSWorks 4.5 on my XP computer. I've installed in on my
> > new
> > Vista computer, but I can't make it run. If I try to open a file, it
> > tries
> > to open it in Works version 8 which can't open the file. How do I get it
> > run MSWorks 4.5?

> I have been running Works 4.5 since it was released years ago,no problem
> here on Vista; however.if your files were created in Works 8,I suspect you
> will need to install "that" version to open your files.
> Rgds

BobC

> You missed my point BobC. I also have been using Works 4.5 since it was
> first released. I've never used any later version. The later versions
> will
> not open the Works 4.5 files. I've installed Works 4.5 on my new Vista
> Computer. I have not yet loaded any of my business files into it yet
> because
> I can not get Works 4.5 to run. No matter what I do to open Works 4.5,
> the
> computer takes over and runs Works 8 in its place.

Key word is "new Vista Computer" Works 8 is on the PC and was installed by
the OEM.

.http://groups.google.com/group/micro...681cb59Perhaps the attched link will assist you.
=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBTY2h1bGVy?=

Re: Installing older software
I created a desktop shortcut icon for the execution file, and now I car run
Works 4.5, but now there's another problem. When I work on a word processor
file at home on this new Vista computer, and click 'save,' it saves it with a
'.doc' file extension instead of '.wps' I emailed it to my office computer
at work, but I already know that Works 4.5 can't read a .doc file. If it
does open it, it won't be arranged the way I want it so I can print it.

I've also found that my $2,500 FlexiSign program wont run on Vista at all.
This really sucks. I want a computer that does what I tell it to do. I
don't want a computer telling me what to do. I'm calling CompUSA tomorrow
and see if they know how to take the Vista out of this thing and put XP in.
Otherwise, I've got a brand new computer for sale, and I'm looking for an XP
model that's not too old.

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> You'll have to uninstall Works 8. At this point you'll probably have to
> uninstall both Works 4.5 and Works 8 then reinstall Works 4.5 to get the
> file associations set. You could also try right clicking on a file to open
> it. Pick Open with and browse to the Works 4.5 executable file.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>

> "Mike Schuler" <MikeSchuler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > You missed my point BobC. I also have been using Works 4.5 since it was
> > first released. I've never used any later version. The later versions
> > will
> > not open the Works 4.5 files. I've installed Works 4.5 on my new Vista
> > Computer. I have not yet loaded any of my business files into it yet
> > because
> > I can not get Works 4.5 to run. No matter what I do to open Works 4.5,
> > the
> > computer takes over and runs Works 8 in its place.
> >
> > "BobC" wrote:
> >

> >> "Mike Schuler" <Mike Schuler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> I have been running Works 4.5 since it was released years ago,no problem
> >> here on Vista; however.if your files were created in Works 8,I suspect
> >> you
> >> will need to install "that" version to open your files.
> >> Rgds

Kerry Brown

Re: Installing older software
If you have critical applications that don't support Vista then you are
right, Vista is not for you. The problem is not with Vista but with the
applications you are using. Your complaint is like buying a car that runs on
diesel then complaining that when you put gasoline in the tank it doesn't
work. If you have critical applications then you match the OS to them. If
you have a critical OS then you match your applications to it.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

>I created a desktop shortcut icon for the execution file, and now I car run
> Works 4.5, but now there's another problem. When I work on a word
> processor
> file at home on this new Vista computer, and click 'save,' it saves it
> with a
> '.doc' file extension instead of '.wps' I emailed it to my office
> computer
> at work, but I already know that Works 4.5 can't read a .doc file. If it
> does open it, it won't be arranged the way I want it so I can print it.
>
> I've also found that my $2,500 FlexiSign program wont run on Vista at all.
> This really sucks. I want a computer that does what I tell it to do. I
> don't want a computer telling me what to do. I'm calling CompUSA tomorrow
> and see if they know how to take the Vista out of this thing and put XP
> in.
> Otherwise, I've got a brand new computer for sale, and I'm looking for an
> XP
> model that's not too old.
>
> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
>> You'll have to uninstall Works 8. At this point you'll probably have to
>> uninstall both Works 4.5 and Works 8 then reinstall Works 4.5 to get the
>> file associations set. You could also try right clicking on a file to
>> open
>> it. Pick Open with and browse to the Works 4.5 executable file.
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>>

>> "Mike Schuler" <MikeSchuler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > You missed my point BobC. I also have been using Works 4.5 since it
>> > was
>> > first released. I've never used any later version. The later versions
>> > will
>> > not open the Works 4.5 files. I've installed Works 4.5 on my new Vista
>> > Computer. I have not yet loaded any of my business files into it yet
>> > because
>> > I can not get Works 4.5 to run. No matter what I do to open Works 4.5,
>> > the
>> > computer takes over and runs Works 8 in its place.

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: Installing older software
I'm told that Dell is still supplying XP on their computers if you go
into their Business section and not into the general one.

We are also finding users with VISTA factory installed laptops are
having difficulty if they want to revert back to XP -- yes they can buy
a retail copy of XP but they may find the laptop maker is not posting
any drivers or utilities for XP on that model of their laptop.

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBTY2h1bGVy?=

Re: Installing older software
That is not a good analogy Mr. Brown. If I have a $2,500 program designed to
run on Windows, and it works for every version of Windows from Windows 98
through Windows XP, why shouldn't it be able to work for the next version of
Windows? A better analogy would be if I bought a car that runs on gasoline,
and the next month all the gas stations stopped selling gasoline and started
selling kitchen grease instead.

Upgrading the OS is nice, but does MicroSoft have to intentionally make all
of our 2 year old software obsolete and unusable? MicroSoft had to have done
something intentional to make programs that are designed to run on XP unable
to run on Vista.

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> If you have critical applications that don't support Vista then you are
> right, Vista is not for you. The problem is not with Vista but with the
> applications you are using. Your complaint is like buying a car that runs on
> diesel then complaining that when you put gasoline in the tank it doesn't
> work. If you have critical applications then you match the OS to them. If
> you have a critical OS then you match your applications to it.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>

> "Mike Schuler" <MikeSchuler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I created a desktop shortcut icon for the execution file, and now I car run
> > Works 4.5, but now there's another problem. When I work on a word
> > processor
> > file at home on this new Vista computer, and click 'save,' it saves it
> > with a
> > '.doc' file extension instead of '.wps' I emailed it to my office
> > computer
> > at work, but I already know that Works 4.5 can't read a .doc file. If it
> > does open it, it won't be arranged the way I want it so I can print it.
> >
> > I've also found that my $2,500 FlexiSign program wont run on Vista at all.
> > This really sucks. I want a computer that does what I tell it to do. I
> > don't want a computer telling me what to do. I'm calling CompUSA tomorrow
> > and see if they know how to take the Vista out of this thing and put XP
> > in.
> > Otherwise, I've got a brand new computer for sale, and I'm looking for an
> > XP
> > model that's not too old.
> >
> > "Kerry Brown" wrote:
> >
> >> You'll have to uninstall Works 8. At this point you'll probably have to
> >> uninstall both Works 4.5 and Works 8 then reinstall Works 4.5 to get the
> >> file associations set. You could also try right clicking on a file to
> >> open
> >> it. Pick Open with and browse to the Works 4.5 executable file.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Kerry Brown
> >> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> >> http://www.vistahelp.ca

Kerry Brown

Re: Installing older software
Yes, they fixed the security model and enforced it. That was intentional. It
did break a lot of sloppily programmed applications including some of
Microsoft's.

As I said before if your applications don't run on Vista there is nothing
stopping you from continuing to use XP. It is silly to upgrade to something
that you know doesn't work with a critical application. I like Vista. I use
it every day and have pretty much quit using XP (and Linux for that matter).
I have many customers similar to you. I would never recommend they upgrade
to Vista until their critical applications are supported in Vista. To go
back to the automobile analogy. Several years ago we switched from leaded
fuel to unleaded fuel. For quite a few years after this happened you could
still buy leaded fuel. As older cars were updated and ways found to make
them compatible with unleaded fuel, unleaded fuel became scarce. Unleaded
fuel is still available for race cars, airplanes, etc. It is not common but
it is available for those special applications. When a new Windows OS comes
out the same process happens. Windows 98 is now very scarce. Very few new
systems will even run it. Microsoft has dropped support for it. If you have
a critical app that will only run on it then you are like the race car
drivers. You have to get specialized equipment and find the right suppliers.
Windows XP will probably follow this route but it will be many years before
it reaches the point where win98 is now. In the mean time keep using it if
your apps don't run in Vista. No one is forcing you to change.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User