Some items in Start Menu > Accesories folder disappear. Please hel

Goose II

Some items in Start Menu > Accesories folder disappear. Please hel
Hi, you all know the default items in the accessories folder and such right?
Well, all of a sudden, Command Prompt disappeared, along with some other
items. I think some Ease of Access tools have disappeared too, unless Speech
Recognition is the only one, I can't remember. This has happened to me
before, and since I'm so OCD about having a perfect Vista installation, I
performed a fresh format to fix the problem. I don't want to do this again.

Please help me out.
brink

Re: Some items in Start Menu > Accesories folder disappear. Please hel

Goose II;387442 Wrote:
> Hi, you all know the default items in the accessories folder and such
> right?
> Well, all of a sudden, Command Prompt disappeared, along with some
> other
> items. I think some Ease of Access tools have disappeared too, unless
> Speech
> Recognition is the only one, I can't remember. This has happened to me
> before, and since I'm so OCD about having a perfect Vista installation,
> performed a fresh format to fix the problem. I don't want to do this
> again.
>
> Please help me out.

Hi Goose II,

Running "sfc /scannow" (no quotes) in a elevated command prompt should
restore you default Start Menu shortcuts. See this link for details.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66...les.html?ltr=S

Shawn

--
brink

'_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Goose II

"brink" wrote:

> Goose II;387442 Wrote:
> > Hi, you all know the default items in the accessories folder and such
> > right?
> > Well, all of a sudden, Command Prompt disappeared, along with some
> > other
> > items. I think some Ease of Access tools have disappeared too, unless
> > Speech
> > Recognition is the only one, I can't remember. This has happened to me
> > before, and since I'm so OCD about having a perfect Vista installation,
> > performed a fresh format to fix the problem. I don't want to do this
> > again.
> >
> > Please help me out.

> Hi Goose II,
>
> Running "sfc /scannow" (no quotes) in a elevated command prompt should
> restore you default Start Menu shortcuts. See this link for details.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66...les.html?ltr=S
>
> Shawn
>

> --
> brink

> '_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com)
> *Please post feedback to help others.*
> Thank you so very much, it looks very promising. You are a grade "A" helper!

Goose II

"brink" wrote:

> Goose II;387442 Wrote:
> > Hi, you all know the default items in the accessories folder and such
> > right?
> > Well, all of a sudden, Command Prompt disappeared, along with some
> > other
> > items. I think some Ease of Access tools have disappeared too, unless
> > Speech
> > Recognition is the only one, I can't remember. This has happened to me
> > before, and since I'm so OCD about having a perfect Vista installation,
> > performed a fresh format to fix the problem. I don't want to do this
> > again.
> >
> > Please help me out.

> Hi Goose II,
>
> Running "sfc /scannow" (no quotes) in a elevated command prompt should
> restore you default Start Menu shortcuts. See this link for details.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66...les.html?ltr=S
>
> Shawn
>

> --
> brink

> '_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com)
> *Please post feedback to help others.*
> Well, I scanned but it didn't fix my Start Menu. Still, I'm happy now that I know a good command to run every once in a while just in case.

dean-dean

Re: Some items in Start Menu > Accesories folder disappear. Please hel
Rather than a fresh format, try making a New User account in Control
Panel\User Accounts, copy the shortcuts that you want from C:\Users\New
User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu, and then delete the
account.

"Goose II" <Goose II@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, you all know the default items in the accessories folder and such
> right?
> Well, all of a sudden, Command Prompt disappeared, along with some other
> items. I think some Ease of Access tools have disappeared too, unless
> Speech
> Recognition is the only one, I can't remember. This has happened to me
> before, and since I'm so OCD about having a perfect Vista installation, I
> performed a fresh format to fix the problem. I don't want to do this
> again.
>
> Please help me out.

brink

Re: Some items in Start Menu > Accesories folder disappear. Please hel

HaHa dean-dean,

We must have been typing at the same time. LOL

Shawn

--
brink

'_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
*711

Re: Some items in Start Menu > Accesories folder disappear. Please hel

First of all congratulations to whoever decided to create this forum...
bearing with VISTA is not easy at all, and any help we can get is very
much welcome.

Secondly, my VISTA instalation is smooth... well, 90%. I am having the
same issues described on this topic.

Actualy it is kind of a pain because as small as the problem might
seem, it annoys me as hell and since it is so tinny, it took me 3 days
to even notice it has happened, witch means my computer is already 100%
functional with a dozen of programs installed and another dozen of
configurations made and it would kill me to format this partition
(again).

So here I come... anyone have any updates regarding this issue? I would
kill for a fix, but workarrounds are welcome as well

I already tried the "sfc" thing and it didn't work, actualy it said my
computer had no problems to solve at all and yet, I am still missing 70%
of my shortcuts... also about creating another account. I am afraid it
will happen again if I do so.

At any rate, thanks for your time.

--
*711

*711;396942 Wrote:
> First of all congratulations to whoever decided to create this forum...
> bearing with VISTA is not easy at all, and any help we can get is very
> much welcome.
>
> Secondly, my VISTA instalation is smooth... well, 90%. I am having the
> same issues described on this topic.
>
> Actualy it is kind of a pain because as small as the problem might
> seem, it annoys me as hell and since it is so tinny, it took me 3 days
> to even notice it has happened, witch means my computer is already 100%
> functional with a dozen of programs installed and another dozen of
> configurations made and it would kill me to format this partition
> (again).
>
> So here I come... anyone have any updates regarding this issue? I would
> kill for a fix, but workarrounds are welcome as well
>
> I already tried the "sfc" thing and it didn't work, actualy it said my
> computer had no problems to solve at all and yet, I am still missing 70%
> of my shortcuts... also about creating another account. I am afraid it
> will happen again if I do so.
>
> At any rate, thanks for your time.

Hi *711,

Welcome to our forum and this newsgroup. Creating the other user
account is just a workaround to copy the missing shotcuts back to your
account. You would then just delete the new account when done.

Shawn

--
brink

_http://www.vistax64.com/ (\"http://www.vistax64.com/\")_
*Please post feedback to help others.*
*711

Re: Some items in Start Menu > Accesories folder disappear. Please hel

OOO well... I think I got it.

New account, the All Users folders was actualy screwed up for some
reason / aka missing the links.

Regardless of that, my Start Menu was OK, so before it got strange
again I simply created a folder on my desktop, copyed all the system
folders from All Users, opened my "for now working" start menu and
copyed 1 by 1 the missing links to the new folder I had created. After
that, it was just copy the entire thing back again to the All Users
folder and I got my All Programs back to fit (at least for now ^^).

Thats it, thanks for the support... hope it doesn't happen again and IF
it does, I just saved a copy of my "complete folder" on the shared user
documents just in case ¬¬

*711;397662 Wrote:
> OOO well... I think I got it.
>
> New account, the All Users folders was actualy screwed up for some
> reason / aka missing the links.
>
> Regardless of that, my Start Menu was OK, so before it got strange
> again I simply created a folder on my desktop, copyed all the system
> folders from All Users, opened my "for now working" start menu and
> copyed 1 by 1 the missing links to the new folder I had created. After
> that, it was just copy the entire thing back again to the All Users
> folder and I got my All Programs back to fit (at least for now ^^).
>
> Thats it, thanks for the support... hope it doesn't happen again and IF
> it does, I just saved a copy of my "complete folder" on the shared user
> documents just in case ¬¬

*711,

Glad to hear it. I hope it doesn't happen again either.

Shawn